Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's clear to me that I'm in the wrong business and need to get into the tents business

That's where the money is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Tweets about tents being set up in Clanna Gael. That’s not on the canal, is it? Anyone able to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

On my boycott list from now on. Bad move by them to allow themselves be associated with this carry on, may make a few bob in the short term but good riddance. Maybe they're already pivoting to exploit this growing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Clanna Gael is beside Glass Bottle Factory site at Ringsend/Sandymount juncture.

Its actually Sean Moore Park as I mentioned a possible next location here earlier.

I've heard similar that there is some being set up at the minute.

I do my Parkrun there on a Saturday!

Ivana will kick off again if the tents touch Sandymount Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Once their good time payments are cut, the numbers will reduce. But curious to know when our over generous payments and supplements will end for this gang. I'd imagine it would free up beds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ooter

Just walked along pigeon house road and there's a few tents but also a presence of what would appear to be locals over the small wall where the tents have been pitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So they are given tents and obviously they have to put them somewhere . Where did Ipas actually think they would pitch them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Look, maybe try taking a deep breath and venturing to the many other parts of Southside Dublin that are perfectly pleasant on a lovely sunny Thursday like this. Barriers have been erected to prevent an issue with people putting up tents along the canal near the IPO on Mount Street. It sucks ass — yes — but it's a blunt, clumsy short-term measure to try tackle the issue of encampments in the short term in that area while attempting to move the campers and deter further campers at this moment in time. The outcome of a portion of the canal walkway not being usable is obviously not good, but if absolutely nothing was being done about the tents, I dare say people would be complaining anyway.

The Berlin Wall has not been rebuilt in South Dublin. There are many, many places to go. Try Herbert Park, bring a picnic and a bottle of wine or a few cans of cold craft beer and enjoy the luxury of your life in the largely peaceful, tolerant, free and [today] sunny country you are lucky to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Ah yes, "Short term", another favourite on the IPA bingo card.

So the solution is wherever the chancers pitch up camp (on our taxes), we have to work around it and go elsewhere? And make sure to feel "lucky" about it.

• Advertisement

Tents have now gone from pigeon house road, the last one looked like it was being dragged across the road to be thrown in the Liffey.

About as well as you'd expect it to go around there. Some tough no nonsense folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

you can't do that with people who have claimed asylum and/or have no documents. so i'd just like to know where people think they should go right now.

i suppose in the long term a big detention centre in d4 or south county dublin would be the only answer people might like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

All very reasoned but surely it is a problem that will keep turning over until the IPO is moved out of the city & facilities for IPAs are taken with it.

The 6 camps the govt spoke about yonks ago, where are they?

When they are finally built, we could set up processing for IPAs there, along with doctor and mental health services etc.

We know the govt cannot process the incoming numbers, they have told us so. 14k annual application capacity vs 20k+ expected arrivals.

But if we have the large camps in place, we can accomodate people in sanitised conditions at least, whilst their applications are processed.

Continuing to process applications beyond our capacity via the IPO will just lead to the predicatble tent cities we have already seen, as all services are city centre based so people stay on the streets near the services.

There is simply nowhere for people to stay during their city centre IPO processing, nor is there sufficient available accommodation for the succesful applicants at the end of it all.

This is the issue with the save the world mentality here and in government. It's not about where we put them, it's about stopping them coming in.

Logic in any right mind would seek an emergency review of words from 1952 that apparently govern this invasion. Failing that we should be looking to emulate and learn from a fellow "rich" country with a successful model. Third and most obvious would be more deterrents like less funding (yet our government seem to be giving more). Fourth I might just stick Nigeria on the safe country list.

Answer me this, if the government bought 1k beds tomorrow to house the tented IPAs, is that problem solved? Do the IPAs stop coming in? Is the tent situation gone forever? Why are we funding the government tender to purchase private accommodation 2025-2028?

This problem doesn't end until an honest conversation (and not the Helen "honest") is had

how do you stop them coming in though? there's currently no way of doing this. let's say we pull out of geneva convention so they can no longer seek asylum, that's probably a couple of years down the line. where do you put the tens of thousands that come in in the meantime? and what fellow rich country has sorted this out? belgium, holland, germany, spain, italy, USA, all have similar or much worse issues with this.

People with no documents should be detained first and foremost in a holding area or otherwise for processing.

Letting them into the general public is asking for trouble.

As we see from Cork prison where a fella has shown up under 27 different names.

• Advertisement

Couldn't take pics that time I was driving.

Just spotted a single blue tent on the footpath opposite the side of the 3 arena, wasn't there earlier

people have been camping there for weeks now, don't think it's migrants

Simplest short term solution involves deterrents. Add more countries to safe list and pull the rug from under their funding.

Beyond this, emulate countries doing it better than us (which is what any private industry would do), and maybe have a collective think so to why we're bending over backwards for something written in 1952. How easily would the average Nigerian make their way to Dublin back then. Both population and technology have rendered this paper as completely outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure if any deterrents the EU can legally provide would be enough to stem the flow.

There's one question even the Pro-Migrant brigade can't answer, and that's "Why"… Why are thousands of migrants trekking thousands of KM's to come to our little Island on the very edge of Europe?

Not in this spot they haven't, I travel up and down it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Detention in the key thing in all of this for me - or let’s say a loose detention with a check in every x days process. It’s bizarre that these folks can move around so free - it seems like they can move around more easily than EU/UK citizens can move around the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Fotish

Or else buy Shares in the company making the tents !!

i'm talking about the green patch here, i jog past here a few times a week and there has been a tent or two here for a month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Sorry yes, I forgot that perspective is never allowed on this thread and that any positive outlook should immediately be shot down for the spiteful left wing attitude that it is and we should all revert to remembering that Dublin is horrible and Ireland is a joke and every nice thing has been shat on by something to do with asylum seekers.

Duly noted — I'll fall back into line.

What a f**king joke. The country is ruined. Asylum seekers bloody everywhere. A portion of the canal walkway is closed to block tents and that's it the city is now totally f**ked and this will clearly go on forever and every space of Dublin will eventually be closed because lefty do-gooders something something something.

Better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

They "@dmakc" asked you a very straight forward question(s) "Answer me this, if the government bought 1k beds tomorrow to house the tented IPAs, is that problem solved?", "Do the IPAs stop coming in?"
    This been the whole point of the crisis. People are asking these very simple questions, where does this end and how?

No matter the amount of accommodation capacity built, more will keep coming until the city centre becomes a whack a mole of tent streets appearing-disappearing.
    Our leaders only deterrent of IPA's camping around the city, fence the footpaths and canals!

People here shrugging of the canal pathway closure and go elsewhere is completely belittling.

Advertisement