Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well I don't have a passive attitude to it, do I? I'm on this thread everyday, acknowledging the need for reform of how we tackle the issue of migration generally and, above all, reiterating my own opinion that a new international and pan-European policy is needed to try tackle the problem at its source.

But I still believe very strongly that taking a breath, a step back, and trying to put political and socioeconomic problems into perspective is a healthy thing to do for both your mental health and also your ability to look at problems through wider lenses to see what is realistic and what is merely aspirational. I'm also just cognisant of the fact that this is a wider issue than merely Ireland and there are global ebbs and flows that affect things in ways that are more complex than simplistic narratives of lefty liberals this and Roderic that.

And no … I don't think it's only reported in right leaning press. I'm just saying it's a topic which the Tories tend to press hard on in election seasons and with that comes a media interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Defence force barracks have just been mentioned as potential places to accommodate IP applicants on the Claire byrne radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

IPO should be moved, yes. But accompanied by all functioning services for the applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Kier Starmer’s plan is he has no plan. Rerouting the Rwanda budget into a task force setup to tackle the human traffickers. That’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

I wonder, if the tents being given in airports now to simplify the process of integration?

Maybe Paul Murphy with PBP supply refugees with tents?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Shows how much the Government think of our security and sovereignty, that they think allowing hundreds of single men of fighting age, from various unknown backgrounds into Army Barracks, is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why do you say "military aged males"? why not just say adult males, how come the military comes into it? always found this bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Keir Starmer stating today he will scrap the Rwanda policy straight away if elected and get MI5 to deal with the boats.

I think there is a pretty universal acknowledgement at every level, including government, of the need to change approaches. The problem is that the impression you get from some people, particularly on here, is that nothing less than somehow just ceasing the flow of people and booting out chancers and rejected applicants can be considered a changed approach. Any visible symptom of the current problem — again, a problem being experienced elsewhere even if it manifests itself in different ways in different countries — is invariably accompanied by some angry uproar of why nothing is being done and how much of a joke it all is etc etc

This is a problem, nobody is denying it's a problem. But people need to start realising that the symptoms of the problem are going to continue and pointing every single one of them out and getting angry over every single one is probably not a healthy exercise. A lot of what the future holds on this is going to depend a lot on what is happening in the wider world and whether the countries of Europe work with or against each other on this — and it's not all going to come down to Irish policy decisions.

He actually said 'fighting age' which is even weirder. There is a strange reaction from some in this country to single men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Military age generally speaking describes 18-40yrs, whilst adult as you know encompasses higher

Regarding military as opposed to young adults, I'm thinking this also contains the inherent assumption that if you're fleeing a supposed war, and are military age, then why are males outnumbering females 4:1 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"Well I don't have a passive attitude to it, do I?"
    Well I definitely got that that impression from your previous posts like the example below from yesterday

"The Berlin Wall has not been rebuilt in South Dublin. There are many,
    many places to go. Try Herbert Park, bring a picnic and a bottle of wine
    or a few cans of cold craft beer and enjoy the luxury of your life in
    the largely peaceful, tolerant, free and [today] sunny country you are
    lucky to live in. "

I know exactly this issue is not just in Ireland, I've been around for the whole show.
    I've mentioned many possible solutions or possible deterring on previous posts including the Ireland immigration thread…

From your point about watching or reading right wing leaning media… Believe it or not, I don't read/watch that rubbish the Mail or that GB channel and the Guardian all riddled with rage bait articles from immigration to identity.
    People who are normally unfamiliar with politics are watching and monitoring this. In my opinion, we're entering a new phase in Irish politics with more right wing parties or local indo's looking to gain hugely. The optics just keep making this worst every single day, fences erected , buses of IPA(mostly males), tents lining up in new locations.

I agree about taking a step back, looking at the bigger picture.
    Where is the FF/FG/SF/Labour plans or stance on immigration or possible situations ?? This is the problem.
    Where is the middle ground to resolve this problem without the labelling and grand-standing.

When people are been trafficked into Ireland as genuine A/S while many individuals are amassing huge profits from this crisis it boils my piss. When I look at my kids growing up to possibly never owning a house of their own makes me comment here and call out the mess and or bullshit "Team Ireland" type of comments…

Then you'll have no trouble in clarifying your statement that the majority of Irish people have no issues housing those in need until it's non-Irish inhabitants.

Yet this same majority are not racist, in your opinion.

Well, the sustainability of the Rwanda plan was always going to be an issue and if a subsequent British government didn't pull the plug there wasn't — and isn't — any guarantee that a subsequent Rwandan government won't pull the plug themselves eventually if issues arose or even nationalistic opposition to the policy of Rwanda being the UK's human pit (or any other of the many hypothetical reasons they might ditch it).

One of the big problems for the British and the Rwanda plan is that it more or less has to work well for a long, long time and the Rwandans need to stay sweet about it. Because if and when it ends up being a failure, abandoned or is just a damp squib that doesn't have any real beneficial impact for anyone — the British and those who might emulate them will have a hard time selling the idea to another Rwandaesque country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

why are only foreign men described as this? never heard it in any other context

I edited / added to post above on why I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122119541#Comment_122119541

Very valid points and yes no matter what you wont ever please everyone but I think the biggest mistske the Government is making is communication.

If they were open and transparent with their plan to open a facility where asylum seekers would be kept until a decision is made and clearly set out the orocess and timeline involved. They were quick enough to tell us how many Covid infections areas had every night. Similar communication on numbers entering, leaving, basis for appeals etc.

And be clear with new arrivals, break any laws, by laws, rules that are in place and you will not have your application processed or if it is its auto rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

If you can't see the potential issues of allowing, men fleeing war torn countries, men we know nothing about, men who are generally young and fit, and putting them up in Army Barracks, I really don't know what more to say.

also to add, 503 errors making site hard to navigate today.

Agreed.

There obviously needs to be a global and european approach to managing this issue but that approach still has to ultimatley manifest at national level and at the moment, there is simply no plan at Irish govt level outside of crisis management.

I think the valid points you raise would be allayed to a large degree if someone from govt raised a torch and said, this is the way we are going.

This is how long it will take and here are the numbers to show we have modelled the problem and why we are confdent our approach will work.

Back to reality & I am hearing that the 6 reception centres are still 18 months plus away from being operational...

The scale of the problem by mid-summer will be a different league to what we are seeing today, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

Hang on a second, I thought all are hospital spaces and our GP waiting lists are all taken up by asylum seekers. They can't be that young and fit since their spending all time time getting medical help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Rwanda sit is coming on. They probably have a Harley Davidson and Bentley in the garage each.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

"The majority [of Irish people] don't mind until they're housing non-Irish people"

Then please clarify what are you saying about the character of Irish people here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The Government would do less damage to the country if they took a few billion of our taxes and burned it in a skip outside Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Seen a article on the independent there where a hotel group bought a house in an estate in kildare and are housing 12 applicants it in ina 2 year contract. I am right in thinking they are paid 30 euro per day per applicant. That is some money for a semi 3 bed on a two year contract. 2k per week lmao. The country is fucked if a private company are going to start buying houses in estates for this ****. The government have lost the plot and are causing more damage allowing this to occur. It's like nama part 2 , a ready up for fg/ff lackies to make as much as they can and **** the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tucker2024

This whole saga confirms or should confirm to us that as a country we really dont have power or control any longer over own own affairs.

We have a platter of head the ball Ministers and TD's that are fully aware of the issues, but have no control to stop it as the instructions are coming from the EU directly to like it or lump it

So what we have here is plenty of floundering & nonsense been spouted that we have to do our bit ya ya ya, as we dont have the control to stop it, weve no say

Every section of the public service is in shatters but we are going to continue towing the line with the EU as we have no goverment ministers or Sinn Fein opposition to call a halt

We are on a bus with no driver folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Paul Murphy wants to bring more refugees and provide them all with free houses.

Advertisement