Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Unemployment benefit is literally being paid to not work. And even in the case of poorer migrant workers, many of them will have had jobs before coming here, just maybe not with the luxuries of the opportunities, income levels and safety nets that we enjoy. Guy who gets up every morning to fish or run a stall in a poor country is no less deserving of the safety nets we enjoy than the finance bro in the IFSC.

But yes, just because someone is no less deserving doesn't mean that it is economically viable to offer our benefits to the world at large. That's not my point.

I just think it's interesting how resolutely unwilling you are to accept the comparisons here or to see any relevance on a thread like this in considering the hypocrisies between how poorer migrants are portrayed versus rich migrants (like Irish migrants). Acknowledging it doesn't invariably mean you have to jump from that to saying that we should give all migrants all the same benefits that Irish migrants enjoy elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

They already receive billions in aid from the US. We can't solve the problems of the world and it's not like we don't have our own set of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

That's it. We all have sympathy but the extremely generous benefits was just pure virtue signalling. Really no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

While I agree, there were other countries that had this issue too. We had 6 million people fleeing Ukraine across Europe — a continent which is relatively easy to traverse with a dog. I imagine some of the protocols here simply weren't ever designed with the prospect of a massive influx of European refugees in mind, many of them with dogs. I imagine it wasn't so much of a big issue or source of huge cost in the pre-2022 refugee population in Europe — particularly where almost none of them were coming from countries of income level like Ukraine.

I can see how it spiralled to be fair, though I think I heard there were changes made to the policy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

So a single Ukranian who is living in a property where the owner has gone for the 800 per month tax free route is still receiving a better deal than an Irish citizen.

Highest rate of HAP payable is 660 per month in the dearest areas of the country. This rate is for living alone. It’s less in shared accommodation. They also have to pay a contribution to the relevant council. Can you even rent a property for 660 a month?

They both receive the same amount of jobseeker’s but the Irish citizen would be worse off financially.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting-a-home/help-with-renting/housing-assistance-payment/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

As pointed out to me on another thread can an Irish person not legally challenge that as ‘precedence’ has been set?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

We’re talking about the poorest citizens in the country. They wouldn’t have the money for a legal challenge.
    What does the constitution say? I am sure when Ireland signed up to the Geneva conventions that there’s a stipulation about refugees having no more rights than natives

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Kieran Cuddihy from Newstalk was arguing the same point earlier, is it not unfair to cut them down to 38euro a week when things are going badly in the war in Ukraine right now, that was his angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I thought Ukrainians were all working ? That's what we're always being told anyway! Considering they have accommodation, bills and food all paid for they should have thousands of euro saved at this stage they can use, or did they send that all back to Ukraine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Augme

Since 2013, Asutrailia has processed just over 4,000 people in their offshore facilities at a cost of just under $10bn.

Last year there was over 100,000 people living in Austrialia who had claimed asylum and over 70,000 living in Austrailia who had their claim refused but hadn't been deported yet.

Doesn't sound like a great system to emulate tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Higher rates of Hap are available, a while back we had a place for rent and had two single men looking for it, one had just over 1000 a month, and the other lad on homeless Hap had over 1200, both were recent arrivals to the country, and working in minimum wage jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Thats very generous. Pascal Donohue says we need migrant workers but if they're costing the state 1000 a month what's the point? The taxpayer is subsidising low wage businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think almost 50% are working, but remember a lot are women looking after small children; or the elderley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

A low paid worker can never be a net benefit to the economy. People can barely afford accommodation here. Even Irish people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Of course they can. They enable other roles which may generate more momey for the economy. One doesnt function without the other.

Everyone has an important role within the workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The Ukranians living in pledged accommodation don't pay rent though right? It's the State who pays the homeowner. So we still have a class of Ukrainians, maybe another 30k or so, on 230 a week cash without having to pay for any accommodation?

Wow as in wow. What other country in the world would offer this.. both recent arrivals. **** me, I really don’t know why i’m getting up very early in the morning when you learn about this…

how do you know an irish person would have squandered this opportunity.. what’s that assumption based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭prunudo

i don't know what to make of Cooper, stopped listening to the last word due its wokeness, but then he's like a different person on the podcast with Yates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ooter

"2 hotels in Kerry available for the tourism season" according to Neale Richmond on VM tonight.

did he say it in a good context or in the context of it’s not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No, Not including myself in that 5 or 6 .( maybe others would I don't think I am here as much to be considered these days )

You misunderstand. That ..was a statement by another/ others who are exaggerating about other posters because they just want an echo chamber .

Dubious links and information ? most guilty of that as I think you know , are on the anti immigration side .

I have no political affiliation nor am I benefiting from this or working in the area btw

Just a member of the public and entitled to my opinion which I never claimed was the majority , minority or anything else , except that I don't believe an often dog whistling thread on boards is representative .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It is if you have all your accommodation and meals paid for given you have paid thousands to get here from halfway across the world, what do you think we should be offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

flicking around tv and briefly saw the Virgin media panel at 10. Didn’t hang around, could have been wrong but judging who was on could assume the direction the discussion was going

The discussion goes like it always goes. A waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Just another few one liners for you, :/ as mea culpa , I am not as good at the tech as some , one can only do their best ...

I find your reply reductive , and aside from that it is obvious you didn't read mine.

I went to considerable trouble to reply to you as fully as possible for you to reply with frankly a bxtchy comment about my composition . If you had bothered to engage with the content as others do I would take yours on board but seriously how could anybody take such a mean spirited reply seriously ?

I agree re many of the public being pvssed off , I am myself , but as I have said before there is a more rational, less confrontational discussion to be had elsewhere on this forum and in the public domain without the dogwhistling and outright rudeness that passes for discussion here very often now .

Some of the others who are on " the wrong side " according to people here are extremely good posters who answer politely and completely and make an effort to supply links and other data but get nothing but scorn and sometimes worse for their efforts.

This reply would be on the lower level of that but getting personal about someone's writing style is like correcting somebody's spelling or commenting on their user name ....its" not very clever .

Goodbye now ..

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Glad I switch of, over to Prime Time, to see if it was any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The likes of these groups such as "Effective Aid Ukraine" they are really a scourge . How do they expect Ireland to continue paying for this? Ukrainians still get added benefits over normal asylum seekers but nope that's still not good enough for them.

I'm a big supporter of Ukraine but I don't support Ukrainians getting over 200 euro a week, it was **** nuts they got this in the first place and I'm damn sure it's the reason why they flooded to Ireland. I don't blame them what so ever, this is squarely on the shoulders of our Government who once again made a balls of immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

13 empty apartments in Castlerea supposed to be occupied shortly.

Rumours there was a small protest there this evening.

https://midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/76376-peaceful-protest-planned-in-castlerea-over-rumoured-plans-for-asylum-seekers

Advertisement