Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

Of course we are Germany and Ireland are marketed as high skilled technology driven economies. Technology displacement of jobs will further disconnect migrants from employment. The biggest reality is migrants in housing provision and social welfare will not achieve the same rewards in low paid employment. The sheer volumes of people moving into the welfare space is threatening its viability and sustainability which is not disconnected from the drop in support for Sinn Fein. Something you won’t see readily discussed in main stream media

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Sunjava

The eventual result is a civil war of some sort, in the distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It extends out to combating the fundamental drivers of what drives mass migration in the first place.

You didn't mention what these drivers are - Lets just take one country as an example. Nigeria - That's the highest application country. Apart from a danger of Islamist whack-heads in the NE (mainly to females) the only other and main problem is that Nigeria is a bit of a s/hole.

It looks like what you are saying is that we (Ireland) should continue to allow unfettered quantities of Nigerians into Ireland while we (Ireland) make a country of 224m people a much nicer place so they'll stay

It's an interesting idea alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

you can add in a tax payer ratio of 5-1 going to 2-1 in about 20 years something which has been well known in department of finance for over a decade but nothing tangible is being done except to erode the OAP provisions for the people daft enough to be paying social insurance at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Now hang on a minute. The Slovakian PM is a supporter of Putin and his four terms in office have been marred by many corruption scandals. I don't like it when I see Irish people lauding the likes of Enoch Powell, Orban and other fascists. We even had one poster saying we should see Georgia as our allies. Georgia?? Does that poster know anything about Georgian politics?

We have a major crisis on our hands but we don't need far right fascist regimes in our country either.

Now, to get back to our immigration crisis, the following link is worth reading. Unfortunately our government tends to bow to whatever pressures are placed on it by outside agencies. The old 'best boy in the class' syndrome that we so frequently display.

Note the recommendations of the United Nations that we need to quickly provide long term housing for asylum seekers and how we can achieve this with solutions such as 'the rapid build homes scheme, and the offer a home scheme;'

It also urges that payments to IP applicants should keep pace with the increased cost of living.

https://www.unhcr.org/ie/sites/en-ie/files/2024-02/Ireland_UNHCR%20Public%20Submission%20for%20CESCR%2075th%20Session.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Gen.Zhukov

It looks like what you are saying is that we (Ireland) should continue to allow unfettered quantities of Nigerians into Ireland while we (Ireland) make a country of 224m people a much nicer place so they'll stay

Please quote where I said we should continue to allow unfettered quantities of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The idea for Clonmel was to apparently build 80 modular houses with no planning permission required, allowing 320 Ukrainians to move from hotels allowing asylum seekers to move into those hotels from the streets.

Then when the hotels fill up and the canals fill up with tents again we’ll get more modular homes (250k a unit) and repeat the exercise?

I feel sorry for sorry for anyone in the tourist industry looking forward to making a living this summer.I’ve had lots of election material in the door (south Dublin) but only callers were independent candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Is it not standard medical practice to treat the symptoms and find a cure for the disease concurrently?

Applied to the case of IPAs, treating the symptoms would be speeding up processing times, deporting invalid claimants, building purpose built detention centres for use while claims are being assessed, adding more countries to our safe list and establishing quotas for the number of IPA claims we can accept until the backlog eases.

Finding a cure for the disease will require the Western world weaning itself off cheap labour, cheap capitalism and becoming less reliant on globalism. It's doable, difficult granted, and will take maybe 50 years. It also means that certain groups of wealthy influential people will need to be tackled.

I'd like to see us start with treating the symptoms, like any professional medic does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I just read the Irish Independent cover to cover and aside from a tiny article on the annual cost to maintain Thornton Hall, there is no mention of asylum seekers.

Are the media being told to put a lid on this? Nothing about the number of people in tents on the canals, nothing about the trucks rolling into Coole yesterday. All very hush hush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

1. The Irish people should decide who comes here.
    2. We already “discrimate” certain countries/cultures via our visa system. Some people need one, others don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This though is analogous to the climate change debate, that we must tackle our carbon emissions at local level to save the planet. When we all know full well that Ireland is diddly squat in terms of the overall problem. So whilst we are morally obliged to do our bit as individual citizens, really we should be focused on climate change mitigating measures. Investing in how to deal with the changes rather than naively thinking we can solve them.

Likewise with the growth of migration around the world, we can't hope to solve the world's ills. We can and should support self help and development in countries under pressure, according to our resources. But as far as Ireland itself is concerned we need immigration mitigation measures. Control the inflow, manage what does arrive and deport. We'll be no good to anyone if we beggar the country and wreck our own culture and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Do you have any children here in Ireland trying to get a start in life and develop as couples. Does it effect you even remotely what happens here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

No they aren’t. Asylum seekers are asked about the specifics of their claim, and what has happened to them. They are not asked about their general attitude to societal issues. The questions posed by the previous poster may well be relevant to Citizenship ( which is discretionary and which the State has by and large a free hand with) but they are not relevant to refugee status, which is based on a defined set of rules and criteria. Your personal attitudes are neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes they are. Potential refugees are interviewed and asked about their attitudes to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

can you show proof please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

What are you making up? Well, you still haven't posted any evidence about your claim that many of the asylum seekers in Ireland are from Pakistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Repro212

I can understand the pessimism. We can't turn back the clock but with the right actions now there could be an opportunity to limit the damage done.
    Plenty people on here have put forward suggestions that would help get things back under control:

• Grow a set and tell Europe enough is enough, we are changing asylum policy for the good of the country.
    • Set a sensible annual quota that ties in with the actual resources we have available.
    • Build detention centres at the airport and close to the border to hold and process those who do come.
    • Deport failed IPA's immediately - cutting aid payments to countries who refuse to take back their own citizens
    • Create an especially swift deportation process for anyone boarding a plane to get here but mysteriously losing their passport mid-flight.
    • Cut payments to IPA's back to the bare minimum.
    • A successful IPA committing a crime within 10 years of their application being approved to face immediate deportation
    • Post all of the above on Twitter in 8 languages
    • Alongside these actions heavily incentivise Irish builders working abroad to return home to support a massive programme of social housing construction, with similar incentives for construction apprenticeships.
    • A complete ban on foreign individuals buying up Irish homes until the situation for our own people has improved.

There are posters on here like Kaiser and others, not motivated by greed or ego but the good of the country, who can articulate the mood of our people far better than anyone currently in power or on the periphery. I hope some of these people will step forward. We need new voices and new approaches to make change happen before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Are you happy to accept all of them at their word bearing in mind that some of them have given false names while others refuse to say where they have come from and others again destroy documents.

It's up to the interviewers to assess them. They are the ones with the experience and knowledge in dealing with those people

Interesting to hear the legal expert on radio saying that many countries refuse to take forced deportees. Nigeria for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I asked were YOU happy to accept what answer a refugee gives about their attitude to society here in Ireland. You believe those answers to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

and yet, minister Burke was on the news yesterday. And when asked about the Coole incident said that module homes do need planning permission.

https://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/2024/05/17/statement-from-minister-peter-burke-on-coole/

The MEP polls show that the anti Immigration votes are being spread across a wide range of candidates which only suits the large parties. None of them will be elected.

Me? Sure it makes no difference what I think. I'm not the one they are giving their answers to, I don't decide their application.

Refugees are already entitled to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I don't think you read my whole post. I'm one of the people here who regularly argues against our current handling of mass illegal migration. I was linking to the UN report in order to show what's influencing our government's policy. They like to be good boys and girls and please those who live in ivory towers.

We have a myriad of problems in Ireland which we have failed miserably to address over decades and now they want to bring in a whole rake of people who will need massive ongoing supports.

Post edited by Blind As A Bat on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Derek Blighe is polling ahead of 2 sitting MEP's put that in your pipe but the poll on the day is the one that matters .Simon Harris is running scared anyway by the looks of things !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm not sure people who are against democracy are motivated by "the good of country" tbh.

Advertisement