Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They can give whatever details they want on arrival, they don't need documentation. During the asylum process they are supposed to furnish some identification/documentation proving they are who they say they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We absolutely CAN just "send them back" and have been doing so.

There's been several cases of lads in containers sent back, and AGS have detected some crossing the NI border who likewise have been sent back.

Stop repeating this.

As for what happens to them when they leave our shores - frankly, not our problem as they shouldn't have been here in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

you asked what database would be checked if they refuse to give their details and thats my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

EURODAC considering up to 70% of asylum seekers are engaged secondary movement from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

" ... However, while a lot of the blame certainly lies with the Government and TDs like McEntee, the rest of it ..  ."

I agree with most of what you write except the above.

The government is 100%, not partly, responsible for the mess we are in now.

They made the Come all ye invitations, so attractive (financial support, own door accommodation, Irish passport) .. only thecaccommodation proving a bit of a downer (for now at least).

Government has prioritised the rights of 100s of 1000s of "refugees" across the globe over their own people. They have forcefully dumped bus loads of unvetted male migrants onto small town Ireland, migrants with little English and a culture at polar odds to our own and told us to get on with it

Recent videos (Denmark) above tell us all we need to know about the results.

So not "a lot of .." but All blame lies squarely with the Irish government. This is government sanctioned people smuggling.

What the government has done to our country by forcefully dumping these migrants on us is a crime against its people.

Make no mistake about this .. the Irish givernment have royally fcked its people - pretending it didnt happen, wont make it go away

They haven't claimed asylum though, or else they wouldn't be sent back.

Thousands are refused leave to enter every year in Ireland, those that claim asylum must be allowed in. That's the law.

Doesn't make any sense. What database would they check

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2024/0604/1453008-biden-block-border/

If Joe Biden can close the American border, we can close ours.

Just need the political will to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

We are laying the foundations for a enormous humanitarian disaster.

We claim that local lads are going feral because they don't have facilities or father figures or opportunities but the plan is to import thousands more and make them live under the same conditions? What could possibly go wrong?

That simple fact is that the way we are going is not sustainable.

How can anyone be in any doubt over how this will end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

it should be at the very minimum - then again the bar is pretty low here.

the finger print data base, the criminal one lol - it works off fingerprints not names…

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Well the 30% that the State can’t prove have come from another EU country should have to meet a higher threshold for identity and protection.

We don't know the criminal history of anyone coming into the country! From anywhere, except visa holders

Wh

Dont know what you're lolling for? What criminal database do we check?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LongfordMB

We need to create a hard border for public transportation only. Busses, trains and taxis. Every single bus train and taxi on a cross border trip should be pulled over. Make it clear that it's the bus driver or taxi driver who will be arrested if they have not pre registered their occupants with dublin. Should reduce numbers drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Miharo

Meet Assad. Assad is from Pakistan. Assad claimed and was granted asylum because he was persecuted and his life was in danger for being gay. Assad received his citizenship 2-3 years ago.

When did Assad realise he was not gay anymore? You got it! 2-3 years ago. What an amazing coincidence.

Assad now makes Youtube videos in Urdu advising prospective Pakistani asylum seekers on the Irish IPO system and suggesting what grounds people may be successful in receiving asylum in Ireland, including religious grounds and explaining there is no real risk of deportation. He is also available for one to one advice via DM on insta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Guys take a look at who voted against doing anything about migrants especially the illegal kind and being able deport em

and another measure

and

you can filter by Irish MEPs

Stuff like this REALLY annoys me. A blatant scammer now encouraging and advising others on how to game our already loose controls.

He should be stripped of his citizenship (which in itself is a farce - manage to stick around long enough and be rewarded with rights handed out like cereal box prizes!) and send him back to Pakistan but not before adding him to a watch/deny list for future reference.

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with any of the above, but as Miharo's example shows above, people like Assad are deliberately coming here (and encouraging others to come here) because they know that they'll probably get away with it.

While yes, the Government are responsible for causing the conditions to enable this behaviour, guys like him are just as responsible. You can't absolve them of responsibility either.

Maybe I'm naive, but it would never occur to me to try and scam my way past a country's border controls. That's just how I was raised. Similarly, I didn't take the "Free Money" of the Tiger years because I would have had to lie on legally binding agreements to do so. I know many did to get their mortgages, but again that's just not me.

As I've said before, I'm a big believer in fairness. If some are expected to play by the rules then ALL should play by those same rules. Personal responsibility isn't absolved because "shure everyone does it".

But, maybe that's just me and really I should be cutting every corner, and pulling every stroke I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Maybe that's true.

But when you've got enough to eat, it's pretty easy to say 'I'd never steal food, even if I was starving'

People are desperate to come to western countries, hard to know what any of us would do if we lived in these circumstances.

I don't mean to be 'virtue signaling' but personally there's very little I'd rule out if it meant my children having a decent chance.

I mean we are inept, what’s the point of taking fingerprints at all if we don’t have a Central European database to check them against. That’s the lol, I hope - surely we do I mean for the love of Christ it’s can’t be that complex in this day and age to cross check fingerprints at a EU or EEA level - interpol must have a central data base at this stage. Do you not think it’s insane that literally anyone can arrive here with not checks or balances and worse yet be welcomed and accommodated. Why join the French forigen legion to escape your past when you can simply arrive in Ireland.

When will these lefties realize that when enough native Irish citizens want people deported, other countries just have to accept them!

It's why Michael McDowell was able to deport whoever he wanted when he was Minister for Justice.

It's written right here in this big book - 'Whoever questions this guff wants the country destroyed by foreign hordes'

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in a working class family and later single parent family where that parent couldn't work due to serious illness. Manys a day I went to school with 50p in my pocket for lunch. We never starved but times were very hard at points.

We lived in council housing in a rough area of the northside of Dublin. Drugs/dealing and petty crime such as theft/burglary were rampant as evidenced by some of the houses looking very fancy over the years from the proceeds.

Despite this, I never got involved in these activities and my mother encouraged us to study, get to college, and have a better life than she did - which thankfully I manged to do despite not being particularly academic.

Nowadays I'm on what would be considered a good wage, in a senior management role (not enough to easily buy my own home however - again, maybe I should have taken the Free Money when it was offered after all!) but I have still retained that sense of fairness and "doing things right" throughout. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for people trying to better their lot (natives or otherwise), but I draw the line at circumventing or gaming the system to do so.

This isn't a post of "aren't I great" or "If I can, anyone can" but it hopefully shows that despite my own background and current situation, I still don't believe that there's any excuse for breaking the rules that others are expected to adhere to.

But again, that's just how I was raised.

We don't have a central European database of criminal convictions. You have to check each country.

The SIS system checks for warrants etc in European countries only.

Our asylum seekers are not coming from European countries though. If someone turns up here claiming asylum from an African country, you would need to check with that country for criminal convictions. That is, if that country even correctly keeps such records. Which is absolutely not a guarantee for most.

Of course, having a criminal conviction doesn't stop anyone from claiming asylum anyway, certain convictions are a definite bar to gaining refugee status however.

We have people here from the UK and EU, and we have no idea of their criminal convictions either, it's not just asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

To be fair, I would agree that most of them are worth pursuing to differing degrees.

I'd disagree on offering citizenship as a reward for "time served" though. I'm not against rewarding and recognising people for making the effort to positively integrate and contribute, but that would need some exploration.

State accomodation is something that we can't even provide in sufficient quantity for those already here and in need. The Government has shown no interest in increasing that in any real numbers (despite the press releases). What is there though should be prioritised for our own native citizens.

When you say raise living standards - do you mean in those EU countries, or working with the source countries, because I'd argue that the latter would be more beneficial and effective long term. We simply cannot resettle any and all who arrive from the less fortunate/unstable areas of the world but we should try to pressure and incentivise their Governments to improve things at home rather than simply "exporting" the problems and people to Europe.

Border controls could very easily be implemented if the political will and mandate was there to do it. We live on an island after all. We don't have people crossing in dinghies and landing at random beaches. Yes we have a unmanned border with NI, but that may have to be reconsidered if it continues to be a source of the problems. Of course I realise that's politically unpalatable for a lot of reasons, but it COULD be done. Even increasing the "spot checks" by AGS in the interim that have been happening over the last few weeks would be a deterrent - or having immigration control at the likes of Busaras for NI originating buses etc.

I would agree that there is a problem with the level of debate and discussion on this issue generally, but I will point out that both "sides" are guilty of that. Education is the key but equally too is a need to realise that people have legitimate concerns that are not unreasonable and must be taken into account when designing the solutions. It's a balancing act as I said previously between supporting those who deserve it, identifying and rejecting those who don't, and not sacrificing the needs of the locals in the process. We are only a small island of 5 million with huge ongoing domestic challenges as it is. We can only do so much.

However, thank you for this post. Appreciate your engagement and input, even if I don't agree with all of it 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

you’ve just described my life nearly to a tee. Fair play Kaiser. You are an excellent poster with a sense of fairness. You never let your guard down and take the bait that’s constantly laid out here.

Advertisement