Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jimmychoo9

The appetite is definitely there for change there is absolutely no debate about that.

The natural first port of call would be to set a target of what houses and then whats needed both financially and labour wise to reach that target, But current you can't set a target because due to our asylim policy or lack of the numbers needed could be infinity. You genuinely couldn't rule out there been 1 million homeless in the country in a year or two and that's why it's such a big issue and rightly so.

There is no real right wing party's here due to the likes of this issue been a relatively new one hence why no one is voting for them, Problem for all of us is in years to come there will be right wing party's and the will get votes if we proceed along the current path, never heard of the far right until about 2 years ago and going by the likes of Helen mc entee and the likes they are currently the biggest problem facing ireland.

And what are you basing that thinking on?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Presumably the same nonsense where people argue that unlimited immigration isn’t the problem - but access to healthcare, class sizes, budgets available and housing are - while conveniently ignoring the direct link between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Hilarious seeing how the usual loud mouthed, rabid, abusive left wing communities commenting this week about "crushing the right wing" and independents would do terribly as they're only voted by a "small lunatic minority".

Same as how the referendum would be a landslide "yes".

Funny seeing the screw turning today now and some excuses starting to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

In what type of fantasy world situation do you think thered be one million homeless in a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

yeah, turning but still not as much as I would have hoped tbh. Surprised how well the main parties are still doing. Although nice to see independents ahead of FG in Harris hometown lea at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Noticeable too that working class areas are still voting for the left : SF, PBP, independents etc and with no major swing to the right. It suggests immigration / refugees may not have been the vote winner that people were assuming.

That has definitely set the cat among the pigeons for the general election - it may be that most of the parties will focus in other key issues like housing, health and the economy and not feel the need to discuss immigration and asylum seekers much of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

still all very much early days, but tallys definitely seem to have FF being the biggest winner, or at least didn't loose as much as others. Probably Monday or Tuesday before we can draw any conclusions.

I didn't say I think there will be I said you can't guarantee there won't be as there is nothing in place regarding regulation to stop it getting to those numbers.

The point I was making that you chose to ignore was how can we begin to address a problem when as a country we haven't a notion what number of new huses will be needed in 1,2 ,3 years ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Martin seems to be a quite popular leader, especially in rural areas. I'm actually a bit surprised how well their vote has held up, given that they are four years in government (it may be that the fall off in support for SF is the key factor).

• Advertisement

I know ow you didn't say there will be. I asked what kind of fantasy world would it be to have that number. Are talking about the outbreak of world war 3? An asteroid hitting earth? A weather event never seen before in the history of human kind? A food shortage like the great famine? To me, those are the kinda of situations we need to have 1 million homeless within a year.

Most normal people don't base their vote on those almost never seen before situations arising. And why would they.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Politicians have been constantly telling that due to climate change there will be massive numbers moving to Europe. If that is true a million to Ireland would be a very conservative estimate. Even if that happened over a ten year period we would be under some pressure to house them.

Encouraged by all the People who tell then they aren't Irish and never will be. There's a section of society, like many of the posters in this thread, who are very quick to point out how foreigners arent irish.

And that's fantastic, and fair play to you for doing that. It would be great if everyone was like that. Again, from what we've seen in this thread, some people here would rather sit there and tell Karim from Algeria that if he's Muslim he's a savage and a terrorised who hates women. And then they'll complain how migrants don't integrate into the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Very depressing.

The government will now plow ahead full steam with immigration knowing under all the bluster people won’t vote them out.

If I had of said a year ago there would be tent cities popping up around the capital I'm sure your response would have been similar to this.

The point again for the 3rd time is we simply have no idea of the numbers because there is zero controls in place. yes it is very unlikely for a million homeless and clearly that is an extreme example but say for argument sake the last referendum had of went the way the government wanted and with the talk of family reunion would it be extreme to say the homeless figures would doubled or trebled in the next year considering the average size of a Nigerian family is 5.

Can You share the post where someone called karim from Algeria a savage please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Funny coming from people foisting population and culture replacement on a small nation of people by trying to have open borders.

Whoes the real hitlers and himmlers here. Take a guess. It works both ways there while your licking your tears. Now click your heels together and march off with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Our system we had in place last year to support asylum seekers was awful so it certainly wouldn't have surprised me they'd be forced to sleep on the street if there was even a small increase in numbers.

So we've no idea of the numbers but we you're happy to throw out the number of a million or more and go with the most extreme example possible. Interesting tactic.

But it's one year, not ten.

I never claimed someone did do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know its one year but building houses for a million people will take a lot longer than 10 years. So, if current climate change predictions by politicians are correct we will have hundreds of thousands homeless while we build accomodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Once again the inertia and short-sightedness of the electorate, coupled with a good dose of fear - stoked by the media bleating "far right" and "you're far right if you support this" at every turn, has resulted in the status quo and failure being rewarded.

Well done to the mainstream parties. They played a blinder and the people fell for it.

As you say, it's very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't think local elections are a good barometer of public opinion on immigration TBH.

I gave 2 FF councillors my 1 and 2 in the locals and I've a lot of concerns around immigration policy.

The main reason I did is that the 2 of them are good local politicians, they get stuff done, organise tidy town stuff and have personally helped me out with a couple of things over the years.

I'm not a FF voter by any means but I think a lot of people vote like me in the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭thegame983

The vulture funds are fully erect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Exactly. I also have concerns around migration but gave my number 1 to FG as he is a local councillor who does a lot of good work in our area. I'm sure this is the case for many others across the country. In saying all that, there still has been a significant surge in independent votes - surely a sign that people are voicing their concerns.

In any case, I would see the recent referendum as a better barometer of public sentiment, where there was a clear kickback against the government view. I think that result also precipitated a lot of talk, and ultimately, some change amongst government migration policies (e.g. welfare cuts). The general election will still be very interesting imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Proof that the hard left are as dangerous as the hard right, which we all hear so much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

The only people upset are SF, and today's results confirm is that the govt will continue to flood IPA asylum seekers into working class areas as it is destroying SF

There is 1.4 billion people living in Africa alone so 1million doesn't even represent 1% of them and that's before taking in the population of all the nations that have citizens claiming asylum here so nowhere near the most extreme example possible .

But let's stick to the point been made that we need some kind of rough figure of houses needed in order to make a plan to fix the problem and with the current alylum policies that number can vary massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

You can put your money on an RTE bailout and all media (local radio, newspapers, Irish Times) to benefit from another €200m annual pot of "Brought to you by the govt of ireland" rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Advertisement

Okay, so your point about there one million homeless next year isn't an extreme example, its something that realistic could happen.

We are sticking to the point. If the asylum seeker numbers go from 30k this year to 1million next year I think our homeless issue will be the least of our concerns. Staying alive will likely be a bigger priority.

Advertisement