Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Indeed. Something you know but cannot be defined.

Stop trying to get people to define Irish culture. It's like a castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"what do you consider Irish culture?"

That's a question that can't be answered in a glib soundbite - and I am aware of the apparent irony that there are already many threads in the tapestry of our cultural history. But the Irish people who are a big part of the culture obviously - well we are a mix of Gaelic, Old English and plantation English blood, I am myself, and I think that gives us our particular traits which always seem to be so obvious to visitors. Ask anybody who's visited Ireland what Irish people are like, or how our culture appears to them and that's your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Well I know my local “far right” candidate is a complete head the ball. There would be people who think there is too much immigration but at the same time can’t bring themselves to vote for a mentalist. Perhaps that was the case elsewhere. Also I only ever saw SF getting criticised/getting the most of the criticism while the actual government got off Scott free in comparison. I did find that tactic a bit bizarre , SF had a stinker but the government parties did well. I wonder will they change tactics and attack the government more now or stick with SF. Atrocious election for the “far right” as you put it.

So Irish culture can be eroded and taken away but it can't be defined. I won't lie, that gave me a good laugh. How can you know something is being eroded if you can't even describe what it is?

Here's the dictionary definition of castle. Is that good enough for you?

a large building, typically of the medieval period, fortified against attack with thick walls, battlements, towers, and in many cases a moat.

Do you think Rhasidat Adeleke is Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

I hope all the different nationalities that are moving here are as kind , friendly , helpful, funny & chatty as the Irish people are. I hope they are also as loyal & inclusive. only time will tell. What do you think makes an Irish person?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

The fact you’re using a Dublin born girl who has achieved so much to make your point shows the mean spirit of the left. Off to ignore you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

can we leave the colour of peoples skin out of the discussion? There are real issues around migration that need to be discussed and various solutions to address these

One doesn’t need however to dog whistle as that won’t accomplish anything constructive

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jimmychoo9

Where did he say they are coming to murder us again? Must have missed that bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I didn't sneer at you for posting an Irish poem!

I was poking fun at your fear-mongering and ideas of cultural purity.

Always with the fake news!

• Advertisement

I don't really know if the concept exists, and if it does, it ceetainly has nothing to do with bloodline. Irish people aren't homogeneous, hive minds. Do I think members and voters of the National Party, Irish Freem Party and other such parties are kind, friendly, helpful and inclusive people? No, absolutely not. Are they Irish? Yes.

Im not sure why using someone who has achieved much less would make it any better. Seems a very peculiar take. Given the person thinks that a large element of being Irish is "a mix of Gaelic, Old English and plantation English blood" I am simply curious as to what his opinion is on someone who is born in Ireland but has none of those three traits as their parents are Nigerian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

For some of the hard left loons on here celebrating the local election outcome as some sort of victory for pro-immigration, don't get too carried away. It wasn't so long ago that there was a very clear anti-government vote with the recent referendum. This actually instigated some changes in government migration policy.

Secondly, local elections - by their nature - are much more parochial. People vote for the local man/woman who gets the potholes filled. So I wouldn't attribute the stability we're seeing with FFG to some pro-immigration sentiment amongst the public. Furthermore, even in these local elections, we've seen a significant increase in the independents - they are at 19%, not far off FFG. Read into that what you will, but the immigration issue - despite your wishes - hasn't and won't go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jimmychoo9

Wait a minute, A few hours ago you couldn't understand why I was using an extreme outcome to prove a point but now a few hours later you can't rap your head around why using an extreme outcome to prove a point would be an issue. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

Well I don't have to now do I

By your own admission above you engage and proliferate off topic posting.

As a prolific poster this means you are the one pulling and keeping the debate off topic

If you want to contribute positively, please tell us how many asylum seekers we should take in the aggregate. You can answer either as a number or percentage of the population and what happens when we reach that number

And do not go off topic

I poked fun at what the poster said, not the poster.

I think that's allowed, unless you want it 'cancelled' 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wonder should those providing tents now be prosecuted or have funding cut at this point. The government has cleared these encampments 3 times and it's obviously the same charity handing out tents as they are all the same each time.

You'd suspect this charity is directing them to these locations in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A lot of independents aren't 'right wing' though. Many of these will have campaigned in this election on local issues and others will have previously been left or centre affiliated. The ones fixated on immigration or refugees will presumably join the actual right wing / hard right parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

I believe we are inextricably shaped by the landscape and people we grew up around, and if you move away, you take a piece of that with you. Being away often reminds me that the kindness of Irish strangers is like no other. I’ll meet other Irish people, and that bond is warm and familiar.

No matter what city you’re in, whatever part of the world, and whether you’re there for two days or two years, you are always glad to find someone who shares a piece of Ireland with you. And there’s nothing more special than getting to share The Magic of Ireland.

It’s sad you don’t think the concept exists. All people have different characteristics and no the Irish are not homogenous but I think there is a sense of belonging that links us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is true to a degree .

Irish people are also intelligent and highly educated and can see through a scammer fairly fast but will smile and chat , shut the door and say" never going to vote for that fexxer " !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Has there been “a significant increase in the independents”? 19% is more or less the same vote share as it was in 2019, which was 3% down on the their 2014 vote share.

Actually BAAB said 25 per cent ..the correct number is 20% as you say Augme .

Sure what's another 5 % added on , which most people who are informed would know, so baffling that BAAB would not supply the correct figure .

"with around 25% of our population identifying as foreign born "

according to this above from @Blind As A Bat .

And in another post talking about helping little Adil and Karim integrate in school I frankly don't believe is heartfelt at all ..(Maybe it's because the strong nativist sentiment would not go down too well in the workplace ? )

Considering previous posts which state that even those who identify as Irish with Irish passports are not Irish by some characteristics which would disqualify them from the total Irish package .

Who gives anybody here the right to decides this on these flimsy and ill judged reference points ?

What is next ?

If you don't know any Irish poetry , if you don't speak Irish , if you don't have freckles , if you have sallow skin , if you have never been to a céilí …?

How many people who consider themselves Irish and are functioning citizens of this country will pass these arbitrary tests ?

And why is this being discussed on a thread about refugees /IPAs

( Of course where else would somebody even try to shoehorn this type of discussion in )

This discussion reminds me of White Supremacists and discussing Obama and his birth certificate.

Just a load of nonsense to try to deflect from the local election results .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

This thread is not about illegal immigrants. It's about refugees and / or asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"Actually BAAB said 25 per cent ..the correct number is 20% as you say Augme ".

Thank you for the correction. The figure is 25% only in Dublin. I confused it with the fact that 76.6% of people who completed the 2022 Census identified as ethnically Irish. In 2016 it was 82.2%.

The information regarding attacks on border guards in Poland? It's on many different mainstream news sites but I got it from Notes From Poland.

https://notesfrompoland.com/about-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And do not go off topic 😂😂

Legally, people have a right to claim asylum. I have no idea how you could put a number on that. How can you stop anyone from exercising their legal rights?

If the law changes, I have no issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

As the country is well aware at this stage, the current AS process merely serves as a vessel for illegal migration.

Anyone who is deluded enough to think otherwise isn't worth engaging with, they're only in it to bait and report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Discussing other posters instead of the thread topic means a threadban, this is becoming an constant theme and the thread is being clogged up with it

@Jimmychoo9 threadbanned

@dominatinMC threadbanned

@jack of all threadbanned

@Kingslayer threadbanned

@dmakc threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭highpitcheric

They just keep coming and coming. We looked the other way too long.

• Advertisement

Am I qualified enough? Am I qualified enough?

I'm not the one going around judging who is and isn't Irish!

I think many of us in this country are very familiar with the Irish emigrant experience. Aware of the many emigrant Irish men and women killed in the great fight against fascism.

Here we are a few short generations later, with that same emigrant experience belittled by smart lads wrapped in tricolours hopped up on Tommy Robinson and Donald Trump. The same smart lads who'll march side by side at their protests with fellas in Nazi costumes.

Such fine patriots we have protecting our culture.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

Advertisement