Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Just a quick response to the various posters who seem to think I'm a white supremacist or something similar, I may come across as a bit 'wrap the green flag round me boys' but I'm not a racist, right wing nut job.

I do think however, that we as a nation (and by we, I mean those of us of Irish descent) are pretty complacent. We take what's left of our heritage for granted. We seem to think that somehow because a surprising amount of it survived 800 years of colonisation, famine and effective genocide, it will automatically continue to exist. Just don't be too sure of that. If people of Irish descent become a minority, there is a chance that it won't survive. Maybe some people really don't care. I'm just saying that I do.

As I've said numerous times I don't have any issue with foreigner settling permanently in Ireland but I'd prefer to see proper, skills based quotas, and greater control of numbers especially when it comes to lone males from countries like Nigeria, Georgia and Pakistan. 30,000 a year over the next ten years will add nothing desirable to our culture in my view and will ruin us economically if we continue to fund it at the level we are. And to get back to the bottom line, how in God's name are we going to house them?? In the immediate future and the long term future - bearing in mind that those accepted for asylum will then bring their families.

I'm also worried about the fact that we know there must be some dangerous men amongst them. The law of averages would tell us that. I'm baffled as to why some people don't seem to be worried by that.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep repeating myself. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You are welcome .

Well , you would expect it to be higher wouldn't you, in a capital city ? I would have thought the percentage Dublin would have been higher with all the MNCs and FSC , not to mention the higher population concentration .Think we are far from overrun .

On the second point while I have no issue with that publication as it is from an external source ( much of Polish media is not unbiased ) , why do you hype that particular incident in isolation as if the tension is all one sided ?

Not to mention whether it is relevant to the thread topic .

Imo it's not , unless the entire situation is discussed in context of how some countries extreme policies affect others who have taken multiples of refugees .

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

So if the law changes and asylum claims from a set list of countries (aka a safe list) are deemed invalid, and therefore not worthy of consideration, you have no issue with that?

Good to hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't get the bicolour reference?

Is it meant as some kind of homophobic slur?

I agree it's disgusting to see it turned into a hate symbol.

Especially when some of this group also have it in for Irish people who disagree with them, or those who don't fit their ideas of Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

Ireland always seems to operate in 'reactive' mode, and this goes for all parties who govern. I'm refering to the past 30 - 35 years when the country started to modernize, started to have decent tax intakes, became less dependent on EEC/ EU handouts, started to move away from the catholic church's influence, etc..

And we see it today. Reactive in dealing with the influx of AS and IPA. But very poor at reactioning at the problem (ie. Solution being Tents & then stick them in disused hotels out in the sticks well away from Dublin and give them money to keep them quiet). How long do they think they can apply this reactive model to the illegal migrants pretending to be refugees/IPA's problem.

The same applies to 'reacting' to an increase in road accidents, dangerous dogs, lack of housing, overloaded healthcare system, shortage of skilled workers (medical staff, education, trademens, IT, pharma experts, etc..). There seems to be no proactive planning, and when there is an attempt of proactive planning, it seems to go tits up, childrens hospital and galway ring road two prime examples. Its 2024 and still no full motorway across the country, only a couple leading into and out of Dublin. I believe the politicians we elect are only spokes people for the civil servants running the department of health, justice, transport, etc.

We can change TD's and parties every year, but how do we change the policies and management within the civil servant departments who dont seems to have a clue about preactiions and planning.

Agree with most of your post ,BAAB as regards quotas and housing

Just think that being Irish is evolving constantly.We have changed as a people both culturally and socially so much from my parent's generation as they did from their grandparents and we may indeed find our grandchildren totally different as well both culturally and in every other way .😊

We are still Irish though , as will they be .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

True. Its actually the real bones of the problem. More than likely these gobshites are the real instigators,advising backseat drivers and are the underlining problem

• Advertisement

Thought it was the NGOs who were The Evil Ones ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

There all in on it to be honest, id say.The trough is a long one. Here piggy wiggy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

maybe not if they are watching the huge marie le pen vote in france and macrons call for a snap election europe is rapidly changing albeit somewhat slower here

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭gossamerfabric

That poster you are replying to is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

What does a zero refugee policy make someone complicit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭briangriffin

Actually The last eurostat fugure for 2023 is 21.8% not 20% ... I'm curious as to why it being 25% would even matter though as all immigration is equal wholesome and progressive.. isn't it? By 2050 it will be greater than 50%. We have the 4th highest percentage of foreign born people living in the EU 27. We are a small nation with a small population. For my part I strongly beleive we should be doing our best to ensure that the culture traditions values and essence of of country should be protected and people who are not Irish should be integrated into our society in the best way possible to contribute to it.

It's been said many times on here the issue is not legal migration, rules based visa systems where we advertise for roles and people apply and come here legally. They come with a work ethic and a willingness to adopt to and contribute to our culture. The expression adopted Irish used to exist millenia ago before it was outlawed by the far left its why we didn't call every person who landed in Dublin Airport Irish when their feet touched irish soil.

The issue is mass "irregular" immigration and integration into our country. I beleive that the Irish people and our culture/traditions/values are worthy of preserving. You cannot do that succesfully with mass immigration all you will do is polarise people, tribalism is a human trait it applies to irish just as much as it does to anyone born outside of ireland and will affect integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Absolute bollocks.

I know a few people from Belarus here and they're IT architects and database administrators. Had no problem getting into Europe and contributing taxes.

Maybe because they hate the little SS putin then you might not like them?

Post edited by smokingman on

I feel that comment makes a good few baseless assumptions about me. I detest Putin. The man is a monster and the behaviour of Russian forces in Ukraine when they waded in there was nothing less than Satantic. The Russian regime, ever since the Bolshevik revolution has been pure evil. I'm very well read on the subject of Russian history.

As for Belarus - I was not referring to Belarussian nationals. I was referring to the migrants from Iraq and Syria who are camped out on the Polish/Belarussian border, a situation that has been going on for a couple of years now. They have been invited there by Putin and Lukashenko, given Russian or Belarussian visas and then told that it will be easy to simply cross the border into Poland and thus the EU. When they find that that they've been duped, some of them become understandably angry and violence erupts.

Probably most of them are decent people of course and one feels for the unfortunate women and children who have been brought there by their men. It's a sad situation. One of the guys interviewed by Human Rights Watch was a 24 year old who said he was a graphic designer. He's a good example because he had previously applied for a work visa for the EU and been turned down so decided to try his luck illegally. I do feel sorry for the guy but we can't just take in everybody who wants to come to Europe.

Btw I have friends of all nationalities and religions. Turkish people are some of the nicest you could meet. I have four Turkish friends, one a research scientist, one a software engineer, another in banking, one a lecturer in nursing, charming, delightful people. If we had more of their ilk and fewer of our own scumbag class, Ireland would be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Marxists can never accept your point of view.

Whether it's the goat herder from Afghanistan or the research scientist from Minsk, everyone is equal in their eyes and you are a racist if you want to be selective in who you want in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I think you paint a pretty negative and unfair portrait of the country, to be honest. In fairness, I hear things like this a lot, so you certainly aren't alone — but I do often wonder if success and prosperity has made us a bit soft and spoiled in this country and across Europe generally. People have become so used to the relative comforts offered by modern Western Europe that the collective consciousness has forgotten just how bad things used to be before the old Europe gave way to the new in the mid to late 20th century.

And you end up with threads like this on Boards, where an endless litany of examples of Ireland's rapid decline and its general sh*tness are fairly starkly at odds with any consideration of where the country has come from historically. We are a small relatively isolated island on the fringes of Europe, with little resources and historically a poorer, agricultural economy. Our economic transformation over the past generation or two is hardly the hallmark of a country that has been managed wholly ineptly — especially for a small island economy that is always at the mercy of geopolitical forces it cannot control.

By constantly running the country down, and over-aggrandising the negative aspects at the expense of the positive, you only promote a reactionary form of discourse that lacks balance and only succeeds in making problems more politically intractable than they might otherwise be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Whatever about Europe, it's difficult to see a Le Pen party gain such traction in Ireland. Many countries in Europe have a history of political extremes with a very strong far right and sometimes far left - Ireland has always been much more rooted in the centre with very stable politics, going back many decades.

"Ireland has always been much more rooted in the centre with very stable politics, going back many decades."

That's why it's a shame to see that the incompetence and complacency of the present government has sent Ireland heading down the right/left divide route and we see people like Gavin Pepper elected to local politics. God forbid that his minor success doesn't embolden him to stand in the next general election.

I think the rise of these candidates is as much to do with outside influences i.e. Trump style politics, disinformation on social media etc. Lots of voters were able to register disapproval of the current government in these elections without having to head out to the extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Augme

There's clearly an issue with legal migration. The 21.8% is largely from legal migration and people have an issue with this. There's no support for us leaving the EU and it's not going to happen. I think it's time you accepted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The French know how to protest that's for sure!

They've also been dealing with issues of migration/multi-culturalism which Ireland is now only starting to see.

Any right leaning political representatives are only now starting to emerge and are disorganised and are all in separate "parties" which cannot hope to compete against FFFG currently..

Should be noted too many of the countries were there is a large far right presence are former colonial powers i.e. Britain, France, Netherlands, Belgium etc, even Germany.

Could it be that our experience of being on the receiving of colonialism and oppression frames our understanding of immigration and multiculturalism as being different to those countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No it's more likely to do with the fact that it's only in the last 10 to 20 years we've had any significant immigration into Ireland, starting with large numbers from the Eastern Bloc, and now from Middle East and Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

And yet some people say immigration has no affect on the housing market.

Advertisement