Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact they scraped in on transfers and their cronies mostly fell by the wayside would suggest they align with a minority of Irish voters from a purely mathematical standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

these new MEPs surely can’t be worse on the topic of migration than Clare and Mick who as I posted examples earlier in thread repeatedly voted against doing anything about immigration at EU level

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you need to actually look at the results? https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/06/09/european-election-ireland-south-constituency-results/

McNamara was solidly third all the way, several others like Boylan and Blighe only eliminated towards the end.

If you wanna talk about pro immigration policy party candidates who fell by the wayside - well there's a long list of them.

Quite the opposite, I would expect them to be aligning with groups that want to actively control migration into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

And leaving was a terrible decision thay pretty much everyone in the UK regrets. Have you not read the issues the UK are having with asylum seekers? I suggest you read up on it.

To suggest laws around asylum seekers is the reason Irish people's quality of life is worse is ludicrous. Legal immigration has a much bigger impact on availability of housing, healthcare, school places etc etc.

Get rid of asylum seekers and Ireland will be a cheap place to go on holiday. I've heard it all now. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

OK but you've kinda just moved on to a totally different point.

But even at that, you say that you think free movement is a good thing but then go on to say that the numbers coming in are unsustainable as regards the strain they put on services etc. But who are you referring to here? Asylum seekers / refugees or just foreigners in general?

If its asylum seekers, the numbers are high in historic terms but as a percentage of the foreign born population they are a pretty small cohort within that. Indeed, as I understand it anyway, about one fifth of the foreign born population is Polish or Lithuanian alone — nationalities that enter the country via the very free movement you say is a good thing. Then there is another 13% of that who are UK-born who enter via what is effectively a free movement system.

So already that's about a third of the non-Irish population, not including all the other EU migrants here, who are here because of free movement...which you say is good....but you appear to have a more specific issue with asylum seekers who are a far, far smaller number.

When you read up on McNamara's position on asylum seekers I think you're going to be sorely disappointed.

TD McNamara who wrote "This government, on the recent referendum, on immigration and how they have labelled the response of communities, and throughout this Dáil term, have been the greatest purveyors of misinformation in this state."

or

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41390995.html

Sounds like a public representative just saying what the plain people of Ireland are saying. And why he got my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Look at all the benefits doing the exact same thing that we currently are brought to Sweden. Diversity and enrichment, amazing integration and a thriving melting pot. All took up jobs and are a benefit to the country. It went so well that Denmark are doing everything in their power to follow the same blue print. Oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'm delighted to see the embarassments to Ireland, Wallace and Daly kicked out. I wouldn't put it past some of the idiot parties to shoehorn them into a TD race.

I see the tent villages are back this time on Merrion Square - every single chancer interviewed came from a country with no direct flight to Ireland, so they had to have a passport at some point - why are we letting them through and hoping for the best ? We have to put a stop to this deluge NOW while we get a handle on dealing with those who are here already.

Oh i agree, vulnerable people in precarious positions need to be protected from bad actors by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ukrainians, including traumatised kids, were given two weeks notice that they are being moved from Shannon to Lisdoonvarna. Kids have to change schools, adults without cars have to give up jobs.

I get it that they shouldn't be in State accommodation forever, but giving two weeks notice is just cruel. There are kids who have been bombed out of their homes having to change schools and addresses and start another new life.

An absolute disgrace. I wouldn't class myself as a bleeding heart on immigration issues at all, but surely anyone can see that this is cruel.

Have you not been reading the thread? Sure theres barely any war in the Ukraine. It's also a very highly recommended holiday destination by some posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

"I see the tent villages are back this time on Merrion Square" 

Nice and close to government buildings and pitched directly under the Taste of Dublin sign - how apt. That basically is pretty much a taste of Dublin these days and for the future. Only it will actually get a lot worse before they manage to herd them into what remains of our beautiful old country estates. Powerscourt House next perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

McNamara is a huge loss in the Dáil, I know a lot of Clare people didn't vote for him last week because they wanted him to stay where he was, and he would have certainly topped the poll in the next general election.

He isn't as anti-immigration at all as certain people who view things in black and white would like, what he has consistently argued for is the asylum application process to be speeded up and for existing regulations around entry to the country to be implemented. Common sense.

On the issue of immigration, and on various other issues such as the environment and farming, he has performed far, far better than any other politician of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

So some 'citizen journalist' is going around the streets of Dublin secretly recording black people as they go about their business? Which includes helpfully and genuinely trying to give him directions.

I feel so proud to be Irish right now. Where's me tricolour!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A solid third is still not a majority of voters. And that's the best you can do with most for the other grifters eliminated.

You can't argue the maths.

I love it - maybe finally it's affecting them directly ???

Though we've already seen they care not about visitors to the country who want to spend money, only who want to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

I'd encourage anyone interested to read up on the facts and come to their own conclusions as to whether the conflicts which came after were due to some undesirable failings inherent in the Palestinian people, as claimed by some here ... "

Sure, pick any old source to dispute historical facts that everybody already knows anyway. Spin them any way you like, but you cannot deny the Jordanian and Lebanese people their history.

King Hussein of Jordan gave refuge to the Palestinians - the only country to successfully try to integrate Palestinian refugees - and the Palestinian LO tried to assassinate him and take over the country. They failed. They did however succeed in assassinating his PM, Mr. Wasfi al Tel.

The Jordanian army finally routed the Palestinian LO (led by yaser arafat and operating out of the Palestinian refugee camps), and sent them packing in January 1971. Read up on Black September - history does not lie.

The Palestinians next relocated to Lebanon, until then a peaceful country and - what do you know - we have ourselves a 15 year civil war from 1975 - 1990 leading to 150 000 deaths and 1 million fleeing.

Their trail of destruction included the Damour massacre (Jan,1976) where 582 Maronite Christians were murdered by the PLO. The Palestinians were finally expelled from Lebanon after the battle of Sidon in 1991.

The Palestinian LO, under yaser arafat, gave their full backing to Saddam Husseins invasion of Kuwait in 1990, much to the dismay of other Arab countries which had - until then - supported the Palestinians.

You can twist the facts as you see fit but you will not change the made-up minds of all (22) Arab countries who are privy to the facts above and, point blank, refuse to have anything to do with Palestinian refugees. Nobody wants them

That falls to us in the west. We "are obliged to" take them in

I don't blame refugees per se for the current fiasco - tents on our streets, tourist and attendant industries decimated, refugees being force dumped on small town Ireland, increased competition for impossible to find accommodation - and the icing on the cake - people like me paying for it all, no i don't blame the refugees for all this - I blame my very own Irish government.

This is a travesty .. to invite all and sundry here with the offer of accommodation, pocket money and a passport is simply insane. They are flooding the country with every chancer on the planet

This all has less to do with empathy and more to do with greed and self advancement. If our government had genuine empathy, they would have diplayed it to their own electorate when it was needed. That never happened.

These refugees (economic and otherwise) - have radically different views on morals, values etc to the local Irish populaces they have been dumped into - with nothing to do all day - the local populace being told to get on with it or the government will set the new Hate Laws on you - well, how has that worked out in other European countries ?

Meanwhile, we have our government lying, obfuscating, using national media as their champion and spokesperson ..

Someone has to put a stop to this .. we can't save / feed the whole world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

Proud to be Irish ….. get out of it. Aren't all Irish horrible bad stupid people.

TBH that's all we're asking for - a grown up conversation whereby those who are clearly here for nefarious reasons, or those not genuine are turfed out sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Those are not any old sources.

One is the UN and the other is this guy.

https://forskning.ruc.dk/en/persons/suneha

I actually spent some time finding sources which I felt were concise and objective.

You'll see my sources give accounts of atrocities committed on all sides in the Lebanese civil war, whereas you've selected only those committed by Palestinian groups.

As a general rule I think it's a good idea to check anything you read on an anonymous forum against reliable sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I suppose you missed the bit about the MAJORITY going to countries closest to them in the report , before you dived in off context .

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭DaithiMa

The most recent figure published as far as I can see was a year ago. 32% of all hotel beds outside Dublin were occupied by AS\IPAs. In some counties the figure is as high as 50%.

It's grand though, it's only 'costing some €1bn in lost revenue for non-accommodation tourism.'

We will be ruined in a few years - we've multinational money and tourism. Once they go we're fcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I think we really need to consider the fact that the number of asylum seeking, homeless men has more than doubled since February. It was 900+ in Feb and now it's over 2,000. Where are we heading? How many thousand on the streets by the end of the year? 5,000? More??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

And what relevance has that got to Ireland?

I’m talking about the MAJORITY that are coming to Ireland, the context that we live in and is the subject of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes indeed , a good politician .

McNamara, once he decided to run , thought about where else he could attract votes , and he ran a very good campaign .

But I am not convinced that he is antiimmigration , just talking a good talk about consultation and implementing our laws around process and deportation .

We all agree with that . Should have been happening all along .

I would have given him a vote if I was not in Dublin .

Think about that , Furze ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

Definitely. And when I see posts saying that we only have a small number of AS. May now we do but look at how rapidly numbers are increasing at.

Advertisement