Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options
1844845846847848850»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If the point you make is just repeated again, again and again… it doesn't make it right. It's a view you & others hold. The majority, certainly as represented on this thread differ. And don't have to agree with the views you proffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

Its a view proven with facts though.. Again, little to no support for candidates who presented a vastly different approach on how to deal with asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

A mechanic from Ghana, the 34-year-old said he had to "run for his life" on a "dangerous" journey through Libya, Italy, France and Belfast, arriving in Dublin over a week ago. /quote

Man, I can't believe Rte actually wrote that paragraph, it's so blatant it reads like a skit

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BLFOTR

They are just trolling us at this stage. They are safe in the knowledge that if they keep pumping out the government narrative then the money tap won't be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

If the majority in the real world really did differ then the election esults would be a whole different than they were. You not being able to accept that is your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

That is not totally a fair comparison. Ireland has one of the highest prices in the EU. However that being said it was a ridiculous policy to offer full welfare. It's also a ridiculous policy to offer free third level. I do support the idea of bringing them here but if we can't afford decent psychology services for kids (just one example) then how come we can afford this?

I realise that recruitment of psychologists is complex etc but I still feel the point is valid.

But people it's time to sxxx or get off the pot. Either vote for a party that is clearly anti refugee or join a party but simply ranting here achieves little.

At the moment I'm sitting on the pot because I still see housing and health as more important issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

• Registered Users Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Accept what? I looked at the election results and also the votes people got, the transfers and the order they were eliminated in. There is a whole lot more aspects to an election than just the bare results!!

That's all water under the bridge for now but will feature again in the next election. And I do expect the main parties in FF, FG & SF to all adjust their policies and stances to try and counter rising popular support for candidates and parties with reservations about our current refugee & asylum systems.

The others like the Greens, Labour, SDs and PBP will stick to their cead míle fáilte stances and will be ignored by the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You can't accept that this is nowhere near as much of burning issue for the electorate as it is for you personally. You predicted a massive kicking for the government in these elections and have glossed over this not happening ever since. One post you are dismissing these elections because the likes of local councillors are only elected to fix potholes. Another post you're trying to big up candidates staying deep into the election that you've earlier totally dismissed. Now you're making more predictions, this time about the Greens, Labour, SDs and PBP. Which is based on absolutely nothing other than this what you personally want to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Apart from the communities directly affected by migration, why would the rest of the population vote for local councillor candidates who are mostly a one-trick pony on immigration? (Though, I did listen to Pepper make very valid points on community enhancements).

What is a local councillor going to do? The planning for these centres have been circumvented by Government - so a local councillor's hands are fairly tied when it comes to objecting to them.

The place for people who want to get voted in with a stance on seriously tightening up immigration policy is the Dáil, or at least it was until the weasels in FFGP threw that monkey off their back and put it in the EU's court last Thursday.

I think most voters on June 7th voted 'for the candidate' and not 'the party' and still, FFGP saw their share of first preferences sink, albeit they thought it would be worse so spun a story of 'the centre holding'.

One would be forgiven for thinking that FFGP played a sneaky strategic game in holding the EU Migration Pact Vote after the June elections so they wouldn't give candidates vying for a MEP office a boost. I think that move will come back to bite them in the rear end in the GE.

It was a cynical move and it has pushed the migration crisis back to the top of voters concerns once more. The GE will be very, very interesting. Expect an exceptional summer for kite-flying and vague promises from SF and FFGP on the crisis as the GE will be held soon after the budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭dublin49

There was no option in our locality in the local elections to voice your concern regarding immigration.The vote does not IMO represent the concern on the ground.I think Sinn fein will blink first and start to more accurately represent current sentiment as I imagine they are getting it in the neck on doorsteps,Ivan yates is hearing the same from FG sources,anyone who thinks the current and probably worsening situation is acceptable to the middle ground are IMO deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What amazes me are the people in Ireland who defend AS, even when the AS themselves describe their situation, like above, which shows that they claim is bogus, and that they are, in fact, economic migrants.

I know many people who continue to defend and support AS, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/06/28/more-than-100-migrants-without-papers-come-before-the-courts/

A total of 109 non-Irish nationals who presented at Dublin Airport between February and May without the required travel papers were charged with offences under the Immigration Act.

The charges and subsequent court hearings resulted in 84 convictions, six remands in custody, bench warrants being issued in four cases, and one conviction coupled with a fine. Some 14 cases before the courts were struck out or dismissed.

The statistics were included in the May monthly report of Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to the Policing Authority, published on Friday.

Mr Harris told Policing Authority chief executive Helen Hall the prosecutions followed “an identified emerging trend whereby increasing numbers of non-nationals [sic] are arriving at Dublin Airport on a daily basis with a false travel document or with no travel document”. He said the arrivals charged had disposed of their documents on the aircraft or in the terminal before presenting at immigration

The Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) began a pilot operation at Dublin Airport in February, arresting offenders under the Immigration Act and taking them before the courts.

———-

Im happy something is happening but this shouldnt be allowed to happen in the first place.

Globally something has to be done with this farce of burning passports. They have to have a passport to get on a plane so the airline should be keeping this information on file and the minute these chancers show up in Ireland without a passport, get the information from the airline and bang back to your country you go without taking up much wanted space in our prisons and wasting our tax payers money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From what I've read, the people being prosecuted for these offences are those who the authorities strongly suspect are economic migrants trying to fleece the immigration system (which is fair enough).

It's definitely not the case that they are charging anyone who arrives without documentation or even who has destroyed a passport. The people who look and sound like real refugees are not being charged with anything, even if they have no documents on their person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We chase our own out of the country for lack of opportunity, yet are free to welcome those from abroad with vouchers and apartments.

A sick mental disease pervades our ruling class.

That's a rather strange article from RTE. There are very few IPAs from Ghana in Ireland and only a small number of them are ever granted asylum (poorly researched by the interviewer I would suggest).

In the end the electorate had a choice to vote for clearly anti immigration candidates and largely didn't. Facts are facts.

At a general election it might be different but some of the same dynamics are at play. People might not like FG the party but like the local FG guy etc.

I just can't see any far right Party taking a Dail seat.

Independent Ireland is very vague on immigration. Are they anti refugee as such??

Ah jaysus find me one refugee who got an apartment last ten years. This guy from Ghana doesn't know what he is talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

The European Parliament has, and will have a huge say on migration. Yet, no anti-immigration candidates had succes. The most right that did have success was independent Ireland and they won one seat out of the 14. Your clutching at straws if you think the GE will produce anything significantly different to the locals and Europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭muzakfan

It doesn't matter if true or not though does it? It clearly shows the sentiment among those landing here, and moreover the damage one Roderic O'Connors public tweets have done.

We need to very publicly appear to be a cold unwelcoming place to such arrivals. Again, it isn't really the substance that is important but rather the image that is portrayed internationally.

It's abundantly clear the actions and words of very weak senior politicians in this state spread like wildfire over social media.

• Advertisement

All of the talk that immigration / refugees would dominate the local and European elections and that it would be the No.1 thing in people's minds when they cast their vote turned out to be hot air. It looks like it was a major issue for less than 5% of the Irish electorate.

A similar scenario is being played out in the UK general election - Tories and their numerous press pals are trying to make immigration and 'the boats' the main part of their manifesto, but the electorate are having none of it and the party is going to be annihilated on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see another tent set up near Ranelagh.

A mechanic from Ghana, the 34-year-old said he had to "run for his life" on a "dangerous" journey through Libya, Italy, France and Belfast, arriving in Dublin over a week ago.

He heard about the encampment on social media.

There was an error displaying this embed.

"IPAS gave me a voucher when I arrived and said they were looking for an apartment for me. So, we just have to live on the street until we get a place," he said. Ha ha IPAs told him they are looking for an apartment?

No wonder more will follow with reports like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Free apartments for the lads courtesy of.paddy meanwhile Irish live in their parents box rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If it's not an election issue as you say, why is Keir Starmer talking about lowering migration?

If anyone in Ireland proposed what Keir Starmer said, they would be branded as "far-right".

Advertisement