Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options
1883884885886887889»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . Apart from local councillors or TDs I don't know who they are talking about ..

This was the missing step .

And Simon is huffing and puffing about it now but the DoI have been criticised all along for lack of adequate consultation . This is another example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Yes maybe their little 'woke' minds just couldn't handle the truth.

Funny though that none of the right-leaning academic journals, who regularly publish material the lefties criticize and object to, would touch it either?

Also doesn't explain why the Gript.ie style 'news' sites are pretending it's a legitimate piece of academic research. Just perhaps they're more concerned with pushing a spurious agenda than publishing truthful content?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

do you know why the factory (one of many) in Coolock which used to provide jobs for locals is shut down?
    This almost 20 years old article might explain why the ‘working class’ no longer exists in this country and why ‘left wing’ politics are obsolete, at least lefties now have Trump and the Tories and the far right ‘threat’ to keep them occupied.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/letters/danger-of-cheap-labour/25950318.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Links to people not wanting to touch it ?

All that can be disputed is the figure. I think we call agree the way it is trending is completely unsustainable and the figure will be astronomical in 5 years ? Yes ? Surely we call agree on this ? Or will we just continue to bury our head in the sand.

I disagree with your characterisation of that group as " ordinary residents " .

They were not , but were in the main violent masked thugs who were attacking AGS for hours before the riot police were employed .

POU had to be employed and ishould have been mobilised sooner .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You’re absolutely correct - there’s likely many multiples of that if you include all the 18-40 year olds living at home with their parents or other family. Which would be a more accurate figure than the very misfortune 14k who have no place to go.

I’d argue all the people living in house shares should also be factored in as that’s not what we are about as a society - fine if you are in college etc, not fine when you should be starting a family and getting on with life.

You're right, I'm just speculating that the authors didn't try to have it published elsewhere. It would seem highly unusual to me, especially when they're trying to pretend it's from the University of Amsterdam, but it's possible.

As for the only think being in dispute is the figure, you're kidding right? This is self published. It's as credible as anything you, I, or Dolores Cahill puts up on our personal websites.

The only thing of real note here, given that all sorts of crackpots can publish what they like on their own websites, is that the anti-immigration media is pretending this is a piece of legitimate academic research.

But you agree this isnt sustainable for our welfare state to be growing like this ? Coupled with the impending pension crisis ? Do you understand the crisis that is about to come ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I can see your agruement and that's exactly why homeless is not defined in the country.

It's either way over 14k or way under 14k.

Someone who is living with their parents earning 80k to 100k a year who can't afford a house or apartment is homeless .

They dont have their own home.

Housing bodies and charities are solving and also actively participating homelessness crisis

• Advertisement

Yes .and woman living behind the site was upset because they set her trees on fire in her garden and she had to call the fire brigade. Another older person in his home upset that they ripped up his kerbing to use as missile

It's totally disingenuous that people say these rioters were "ordinary residents "and all the fault of AGS. They started the day setting fire to the digger and mattresses and abusing the security guards .

Anybody who thinks ordinary residents of Coolock support this are mistaken .

As Kaiser said he would go out of his way as an IT manager to employ youth from disadvantaged areas.

But there is a big difference in youth who trying to turn their lives around and train up attending Springboard or courses through the Northside Partnership to those running and screaming on Monday and yesterday .

The former need every support and encouragement to counter their disadvantage , the latter were dealt with appropriately by AGS the other day .

Trying to conflate the two is just a strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Got a fright there, thought someone was talking About Dundrum Dublin 14, apparently there is a village called Dundrum in Tipp , too far away to get excited about, I couldnt even find it on a map

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I don't know how your getting to 'our welfare state growing like this'.

Research from the ERSI shows a strong uptake of paid employment for IPAs in Ireland once they have right to work.

Costs on private accommodation are too high but it looks like some progress is finally being made on moving towards state owned accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

First cnuts at the top of the steps ready to board. Prolly just say my job here is done and off they go.

Unfortunately recent events will probably just make things harder for all the decent kids in Coolock.

People will have that association now between young people from the area and thugs who attack Gardai and emergency services.

As ever, it's the small minority who'll give a place a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭prunudo

Both, they're in the old mental hospital grounds too. And they've earmarked an old hotel in Dundrum, Co. Tipperary.

Again you are being naive . The accommodation built the more will arrive. Let just say they build (with what builders? what staff ?) all these premises. They will be full within 3 months . Back to square 1 then with thousands more relying on our welfare and back to using private buildings not fit for purpose.

Its completely unsustainable .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dublin49

Its stark how the forces of the state were mobilised to free the good people of D4 from the nuisance of Immigration but were also mobilised to enrich the lives of the people of Coolock.Make no mistake if the asylum seekers had of resisted their movement from D4 they to would have been pepper sprayed and baton charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yes because social circumstances allows everybody to live at home. There might not be space either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

true there is that old asylum place, not heard much about it apart from that protest a month or so back they manage to keep it low profile.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Quags

Unfortunately places like Ballymun, Coolock, Finglas have always had a bad name which is a shame as there is good people that live in those places so i doubt the actions of the last two nights will make a difference to those in Coolock.

Im from the inner city and am slagged daily in work about my accent and where I grew up etc but I wouldn't change it for anything. IMO you learn to be street smart a lot quicker and you see a side to the Gards that others wouldn't, all cause I had a family name that had history with them means I was stopped daily. Things like others opinions is water of a ducks back to me so I would think those people in those areas have the same attitude

Yes and there may be loads of space but that will most likely go against you when trying to get on the housing list.

Homeless should clearly be defined by the state and not by housing bodies and charties which we have nearly 500 at this stage.

That hotel in Ballsbridge earmarked just disappeared suddenly.

Maybe you weren't following the news too closely the past few months.

They tried leaving people to scabies infested tents in the snow. They still came.

It's almost as if what the research says is true, people come because we're an English speaking democracy in the EU, with a strong economy and low unemployment, and that welfare benefits, such as state provided housing, isn't really a factor.

Ah so you have no plan at all ? Sit back and do nothing . How many ? 100k ? 500k ? 1m ?

We are a country as great as you've mentioned and there is nothing at all that can be done ?

Just build build build ?

Advertisement