Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I highly doubt it was his idea. Some NGO surely running that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

You bet, full of rage against this horrid country and it's oppression of a poor asylum seeker.....now pay up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just keep fighting the brave fight. Your country thanks you for your service.

And this country a fraction of the size, I wonder how that'll go for the natives

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Maybe I'll invent some sock puppet account as Kamala Harris to continue the fight from behind enemy lines with 19,572 posts. Nah, that would be too weird.

Jesus christ man - I've been posting here since 2001 and you are 7,000 posts up on me. Relax.

• Advertisement

I think you are mixing up that story. I don't think it was an asylum applicant. I think it was just a social house. There was another aspect to it though that there were claims/evidence that he had moved to the US but come back when he got the social accommodation. I'm not sure whether that was confirmed or not.

The only relevance to the refugees is that the people who are stopping the use of warehouses etc, and demanding that the AS be put up in "wealthy areas" are actually agitating that they all be given similar individual deals.

Which is why I suspect that many of the agitators on here are actually pro-immigration in disguise. They want the AS to get own-door accommodation and know that if they can stir up enough trouble that they won't be put into reception centres or converted warehouses and so will have to go into regular private accommodation.

All those years, and yet the crisis has only gotten worse. It's almost as if all the ranting and mad conspiracy theories change nothing!

You could be on to something there, you're not, but you could be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And you're bemused why people are choosing to riot against an illegitimate regime why exactly?

A few years back you had groups campaigning and pushing for the end of Direct Provision. Their real reason was that they wanted people to be given their own-door housing instead (But they weren't as loud about that part). Ironically, you had loads of eejits from the opposite end of the spectrum supporting it because they thought that calls for the end of DP was a call for "no more asylum seekers".

You see the latter were unable to see past their nose. The former knew that if DP centres were stopped, the AS would still be here and the only option would be into the regular social housing queue along with the locals. So the campaign was framed as "End Direct Provision" rather than "Give them regular social housing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's either the most intelligent post I've ever read, or it's total bollocks

Let me sleep on it for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A publicly funded body is helping these guys sue the state. Why are we funding these guys with taxpayers money?

https://www.ihrec.ie/about/who-we-are/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Please re-read what I wrote.

A person who applies for international protection and is then granted refugee status is legally entitled to the same social protection as a native Irish person.

It doesn't matter whether the person was born in Lagos or Longford.

It would be illegal and discriminatory to allocate housing to a person based on where they were born.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep. The folks in the middle bracket certainly get nothing back from the govt.

Some form of taxation that rewards people actually working would be a good thing.

That would be an actual progressive taxation policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I find it amazing that they can get their cases heard in the high court within months of entering the country, funded by the tax payers, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

You think that people that come to avail of free **** here arent patriotic. 🤣

I don't know whether they are or not. But you can only be patriotic to your own country……….

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭REDBULL68

Water cannon's being brought down from the North, is just a visual ,ant gone to be be used but reassures the guards on the ground, if he gives the order for them to be used, its a game changer ,I.e ex?commander of the p.s.n.i. Still doing what they do .if one gets blasted they all get blasted, no difference between peaceful and radical protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So explain to me how a woman arrives from Lagos gets put in one of the most expensive areas in Dublin while a woman who has lived all her life in Ireland has to go on a housing list? Maybe she needs to find one of those NGOS solicitors currently suing the state for not providing a house for lads just arriving from Somalia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

We have the money to house and feed the world but borrow two water cannons from another jurisdiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

I can never believe my eyes reading these things. Not ideal, but tough. They should be bluntly told they're free to leave and seek better conditions elsewhere. I'd personally be delighted with a free allowance, three meals per day and free access to legal aid, medical care and the eventual prospects of a free home. And he just happened to end up in Ireland from Somalia? Funny that. Asylum from what, exactly?

You never hear any words of acknowledgement from these people, never any appreciation. Just constantly whining about how they want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

An illegitimate regime? How do you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chooey

if one wins a case, I can only imagine the number of cases which will then be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Our lad from Somalia more than likely hopped over the channel from the UK. Surely now that Operation Rwanda has been scrapped, we can put him back on a boat from whence he came?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

They are being egged on by elements of the NGO Industrial Complex. Which of course, the tax payer funds.

It's wonderful to be funding a Trojan Horse/Fifth Column in our own country though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I bet the cannons get good use today and nobody will care,sure the media have demonised everybody at Coolock as military grade racists,even linked them to the provos and the Kkk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

hisoric irony ;-) , Dev sent the Fire Brigade up to Beflast during WW2 and this is the payback

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's extremely bad optics as well. Borrowing equipment like this is only going to escalate the situation and dramatically increase the resentment and frustration felt by many on the ground.

It's bad enough that the Gardai are being deployed as enforcers of this unmandated resettlement programme, but the way any resistance and protests have been demonised in the media and by politicians is only making a bad situation worse.

OF COURSE people are going to become visible and vocal when their questions, concerns and fears are not only ignored, but actively belittled. OF COURSE they are going to get out on the streets and attempt to physically block or prevent these measures going ahead - and yes, OF COURSE there will be a small but destructive element who'll latch onto these legitimate protests as a way to cause mayhem regardless. They do the same already in communities through abuse of drink, drugs and dealing, car thefts and joy riding, burglary and theft, assault and property damage etc etc.

This last group are already well known to Gardai in the areas, and enabled by a pathetic excuse for a criminal justice system that allows them rack up dozens or hundreds of offences, or a prison system that graduates them from petty thug to violent career criminal.

It's this group that are the problem in these circumstances, not the ordinary citizens who are already disenfranchised and largely abandoned by the State as it is in areas like Coolock or Tallaght.

Deploying the same sort of equipment and tactics used by the PSNI and RUC during the Troubles against those same citizens is only going to end badly, very badly. What's next, rubber bullets?

The bottom line continues to be that there is no support, no mandate, and no cause for any of this among the general public - except from a minority of misguided and/or profiteering charity and NGO organisations, weak and servile politicians who clearly have been instructed to push this through (as bad as they are, I cannot believe that FF and FG are literally blind to all of this and the anger it's causing, not to mention the vast sums of money squandered and redirected to pay for it), and of course the (economic) migrants themselves who are travelling many thousands of miles through multiple safe Western countries to turn up on a small island on the edge of Europe looking for "asylum", or border hopping from France or the UK claiming persecution (truck containers optional).

My next statement may sound hyperbolic and controversial, but our country is under siege at this point. Not only from these external chancers but from internal authorities and politicians who are forcing huge pressures on the infrastructure, services, supports and of course the native citizens of this State.

This is being reflected in almost every aspect of Irish life now - access to housing and health services, the negative transformation of local communities and their stability and safety, crime and gang violence on the streets, the attempts by McEntee to criminalise "hate speech" (that neither she nor anyone else can clearly and consistently define), and the radicalisation and polarisation of debate to where anyone who voices concerns or objections is set upon by the media and advocates as being one step removed from a neo-Nazi.

Ordinary, politically and socially easy going (to the point of almost catatonic at times) people who are not only being told to pay for all this, and to move back in line (both from a eligibility for services and supports, but also behaviourally), and shut up are now openly questioning what's going on, what's happening to our country, and - most importantly - what is the end game here???!!

If very clear, reasonable and logical answers aren't forthcoming from the authorities then OF COURSE people are going to draw their own conclusions and try to protect themselves and their family/community from what they (justifiably) see as an attack on those things. Unfortunately there will be those who go too far - either from frustration or deliberate scumbag behaviour - but all of this is not only avoidable and foreseeable, it's self-inflicted by a Government that thus far has refused to answer ANY real questions or offer ANY real information or explanations to the people that they are constitutionally and legally required to represent and be accountable to!

I fear that this issue is only going to get much worse and become a much wider problem in this country so long as these questions and endgame remain unanswered and it won't be the fault of the people of Coolock or any other community, but the politicians and authorities themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

So why cant irish people be that so. Pretty sure other peoples are looking after the interests of their own countries.

This out of control crap is not good for any person residing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Whats been kept quiet in the media but is now policy

Asylum seekers who have been granted asylum have to leave their accommodation that they've been in since they first arrived.

Of course they have nowhere to go so are being housed by the council in new build apartments and houses.

Advertisement