Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options
1930931932933934936»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Maybe not anarchy, life will go on but never as before ….Ireland will basically be like an extended statelet of the US and all the crap that goes with it

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

Best throw in access to private gyms to prevent discrimination cases being taken against the state by our new safety seeking residents!

In such instances, which we'll see again in some form or another, where state funded NGOs engage with state funded legal representation on behalf of disgruntled/mistreated asylum seekers and with a view to essentially get something else from.....the state....I really wish there was an option that a judge could weigh up all the evidence and say...."by the power vested in me, and on behalf of the Irish people....the lot of you can Fu#k Off!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

Housing Agency reports have included a dissection of applications for years. 2023 was the highest increase in non-EEA nationals I was able to find.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/289056/3455b50b-1971-4f74-8cb9-ce88e3608529.pdf#page=null

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The gym access would be for all social welfare recipients in an apartment complex, not just Refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭giseva

Equally as mad!

If you can't afford it, that's too bad. I'd like to fly first class anywhere, ever, but I can't, and that's life.

If you're in receipt of social housing, in a building that has a gym, you're doing better than someone in social housing in a 'lively' housing estate. If that gym comes at a cost to every other inhabitant in the building then up your boll1x, deal with it. Has the world gone mad or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 jewbilant

I honestly cannot see any near future that doesn't descend into anarchy.

It is only a matter of small time before social mobility is dead. Housing is already falling below targets that were already far, far below what's needed. Meanwhile, the numbers arriving are increasing.

There's no settling down for a bad situation that's only accelerating.

Coolock is an example that nobody would have believed just a couple years ago. There is everything to suggest that type of retaliation is going to spread to every corner of this country.

Dramatic it might sound, but it's simply equal to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chooey

I emailed my FG TD over this whole issue and basically got a reply to say that the asylum system was set up for a time when 3000 AS were arriving. The EU migration pact will help things. So in other words wait 2 years for that to happen and we’re not going to have any leadership or do anything.

Further to the above regarding escalation, many of the businesses in dundrum, tipperary are now promising to withhold rates from the council in protest.

It's something like 300 migrants about to be placed in a town of 160 irish people. Farcical, and would have been seen as outrageous a short number of years ago, yet here we have arrived.

As expected, a couple of agents from IPAS turned up to a meeting basically telling people in attendance what was going to happen. And that's all you'll get out of the supposed "consultations", it's more like orders.

The governance of this country, in and out of current power, have utterly lost the run of themselves and need to be reminded they are replaceable employees.

All due respect to the businesses in dundrum, tipperary. Despite what may be seen or heard, the vast majority of people in Ireland support you. Everyone and their goldfish knows they'll dump these people in your town and that'll be that, therell be no extra anything to remotely make up for it. The only time youll hear from them again is if they think theres a chance of piling even more in on top of you. Tell these lackeys where to stick it.

Its just not good enough anymore.

How could you call it anything but political abandonment?

Just like the people and businesses in tipperary, and elsewhere, it's time to close ranks at local level and exert pressure from grassroots up.

The politicians and overall leadership of this country have explained via their actions, and even literally, that they are going to do nothing. Sweet FA. They have flung their mandate back to the people. So take it and run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

I'm sorry to say the electorate should have punished the incumbents much, much more at the European elections.

They have been emboldened and they don't give a f.

They feel they've nothing to fear.

Leo even triumphantly gave "five fingers" to the far right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Well that's utter nonsense. If anything the EU migration pact which will make things worse.

All of this is coming from the EU.

We have political leaders who are glorified student union politicians. They stand up to the Irish people and put them in their place, not Brussels.

Who was the TD who sent you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Punished how?

With current levels of support, no national govt can be formed without 2 of the 3 major parties.

All 3 major parties are pro asylum immigration and the party that isnt in power is the most left leaning of all 3!

How would a "punishing" vote in the locals change anything?

You can say vote for independents, but thats just lip service because independents are not going to form, nor lead, a govt.

I am not having a go or criticising your view by the way, just trying to point out that for those that seek a change to the asylum policy, there isnt a political choice in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭bloopy

Out of interest, how did the protest go there today.

Did the Guards get to use their borrowed toys after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thorny Queen

I am just back home after a break in my hometown. Just what is going on with property is infuriating me. Basically where I am from is a lovely seaside town with a lot of holiday homes, snapped up by people from 1-2 hours away who come down for 3-4 weeks of the year.

This has driven up the cost of property to astronomical prices, way beyond the reach of most local people now. Which is really sad. A lot of local people have to go on the social housing list or move further away. I know a lot of these local people and they will and have contributed way more to the local economy and community than a multi millionaire who visits sporidically over the course of the year.

Coming to my point...I could not believe my bleeping eyes when I saw who had received 2 of 3 units of social housing units built in the last year on the main street, think large houses built in keeping with the other style of housing on the street. Sea and mountain view. Cars sitting out the front all day long. Literally would be half a million Euro if they were sold on the open market. Then there's a 34 social housing development planned for a crap site in the village. Could guess who'll get those ones.

I can see why people are protesting about tourism and I can also understand why people are protesting about refugees being housed in their local areas who will be bumped up the social housing lists to the top. Then we have the Paddy lasts who are sitting for years and years and never get up the list, until something crap comes up. Have seen this time and time again.

There is no reason the Crown Paint site in Coolock should have been flattened and used for social housing, instead of housing IPAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭creeper1

Well in such a situation you do indeed vote independent.

What you should not do is blindly vote for incumbents or even worse SF, PBP etc

You are not even giving them reason to pause.

SF at least paused to have a think about what they are doing wrong.

No need for the rest to do any such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭chooey

I know. The whole thing makes me feel very disappointed how little interest our government seems to have in the Irish who are paying taxes and trying to do their best.
    I don’t want to out myself too much as I doubt he reads here but just in case- will pm you who now.

Advertisement