Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

Take a few of them into your house so but don't expect irish taxpayers to support every economic sob story that comes here illegally.

I suspect that wouldn't happen though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Sure, well the thing is, as much as you lot like to pretend what happens on migrant routes doesn't concern us, or isn't our fault, it has very real consequences for all Irish people.

If the majority of kids coming here are exposed to violence and sexual abuse, they will be growing up and living here with that background. Some will overcome, but others sadly will not cope so well, which can have a whole manner of consequences.

For the foreseeable future we are going to have more people from the global south coming to live here. Let's try and make that work as well as we can by not falsely labelling them as 'bogus' and putting them through hell on the way here with deterrent policies which are not working.

I do think we should we make it safer for people to come here to claim asylum in line with measures to ensure that this is not abused. It's up to airlines and ferries who they allow aboard but we should be applying our border controls here for the above reasons.

https://www.savethechildren.net/news/children-migrating-europe-experience-horrific-rates-violence-abuse-and-trauma-report

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

Very ironic a guy with a profile username such as yours calling others names

That wouldn't apply to McDowell and McNamara though surely 😉

Do you lot still consider McNamara an anti-immigration politician or has he been 'found out'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Oh you poor thing, how long have you been on the breadline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"It's up to airlines and ferries who they allow to board". Emmmm, no. It's largely a matter of immigration legislation and airlines are fined if they breach this.

But the main thing to note here is that you're once again confirming that you'd be happy for the following airport scenario to become the norm.

Undocumented scammer: "Hello Sir. I'd like to go to Ireland to claim asylum please. I have no visa, or even passport, and actually I dont even have a ticket. I don't want to tell you my name or where I'm from or anything. Can I go to Ireland now?".

Airline Employee: "Oh, let me help, you poor fellow. Here's your boarding passes. Don't worry about giving me your name or anything. Just so you know you'll be doing a couple of stopovers en route but don't worry nobody will question you at any point of your journey, you're totally entitled to do this. I'm assuming since you're a refugee you don't have any money so I'll just send the bill to Roderic O'Gorman. Bon voyage and enjoy your new home".

Have a good think about this now, will you? Think about the chaos that would occur in airports and then here in Ireland in just about every aspect of our society. And then have a think about the fact that we'd probably have to make major global changes to legislation to allow airlines to engage in purposeful breaches of standard security measures.

Do you not feel ridiculous coming out with this nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 wovay

This is all politically dead. No politician has, or will, change tact.

To get mileage out of a quote, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it".

People need to organise at local level and be prepared to not back down. And the mandate is there considering that polling regularly goes from 70% to 90% against more migration as it stands.

Or we can all pretend that the politicians need solutions a chimp could concoct, for the xth year in a row. Everyone knows what's what at this point.

Where are you getting that from???

The only measure I'm proposing is that we, as in we Europe wide, apply our border controls at our borders, along with measures to stop this being abused.

Given our current deterrent policies are failing, its actually not nearly so radical as you're trying so desperately to make out.

This thing about undocumented people getting on commercial airlines is, once again, entirely a product of your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c2lke090kgko

Fair play to Italy, I know Harris mentioned migrate centers like this during the election but knowing him it was all talk for the idiots voting FG

Watch the illegals numbers dwindle even more for Italy now and of course Ireland as always is late to the party. A pro-active government should be in the process of setting this up but nope our lot are just absolute poison

No. Not my imagination at all, at all.

You said several times you want undocumented passengers to be allowed board planes and ferries to Ireland. I asked if you meant government planes and you said that you meant "existing" ones i.e. private companies serving regular passenger routes.

You also claimed in your last post that "it's up to airlines and ferries who they let board" i.e you have no objection to airlines purposefully ignoring standard security protocols to allow what would inevitably become an unimaginable amount of scammers (and worse) on their flights.

Previous to this, you called for the removal of pre-authorised visitor visa requirements.

When you consider all of these points together, it's clear you're promoting an extremely dangerous open border situation wherein anyone and everyone is invited by the State to ignore immigration rules and come to Ireland for accommodation and welfare, and where regular people can no longer travel peacefully because god knows who is next to them on their flight.

The crazy airport scenario would only be the tip of the iceberg if what you're proposing somehow came to pass. Hence, I repeat, nobody can take anything you say seriously at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Harris will say one thing, O'Gorman will do the opposite, and McEntee will say something completely different.

Yet, it's the Far Right causing all the problems…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

What's even more annoying is once the greens are fucked out they will likely be replaced by SD, even bigger lunatics.

It being up to airlines etc who they allow board does not for a second equate to saying, or even thinking, they should drop security protocols. Read the words again. You went there all by yourself.

This to me is exactly why centrist, and centre-right parties, are being more honest and up front about the realities of dealing with immigration.

I do think the intention is to exclude the far-right and anti-immigration brigade from the discourse. Why? As soon as the door is open to them they scream 'open borders', demand furthering failed deterrent policies, whose failures they'll blame on whatever scapegoat they can find; the lefties, the NGOs, the MSM, the airlines, the taxi drivers (see a few pages back in the thread), the traffickers whose business opportunities they create, and so on, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Too many fingers in the pie. Property developers, hoteliers, ngos, legal system and politicians truth be told. Dont care who what is

Its all$$$$$. Totally sicken.

The only thing that will highight all this is when the money runs out.

It happened after the 2008 financial crash but this time your fooking up society not just that sector which has a lot longer consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You’re insulated from the current housing crisis and cost of living crisis then? At least that explains your stance. Grand to fire it around when you have it - the nation doesn’t have it to fire around though. We don’t have housing to give away, we don’t have capacity in GPs and schools to give away. And we certainly should not be firing good money after bad encouraging more people to come here with promises of their “own door accommodation”.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Following yesterdays high court ruling would the Irish government satisfy their obligations by setting up large tented villages away from population centres with accommodation,food, toilet and washing facilities or would the IHRC only be happy if they are housed in Dublin? They would be free to leave at any time while their application is being considered but would not get any state support and if their application is turned down would have to leave immediately.

You're just rambling now to try and distract from the fact that you previously stated numerous times that you want anyone in the world to be able to show up to any port in the world and be transported to Ireland without documents by private travel companies.

Have you changed your mind on how you want the State to actively seek and facilitate the mass movement of thousands upon thousands more asylum seekers to Ireland?

Please clarify any changes to your plan if possible.

They tried this already, and you had the migrants walking back to Dublin, getting lifts from journalists back to Dublin, and cabs back to Dublin.

Oh right, so you're not on the breadline then.

Exactly. Follow the money.

Gombeenism abounds.

• Advertisement

BTW If you believe that the housing shortage is a result of some misfortune arriving here with only the clothes on his back then you are badly mistaken. The problem is really because of greed, from landowners, financial institutions, developers, builders. A combination of greed and gazumping by these fukkers makes it nigh on impossible for young people to get a house or apartment. Similarly in health, it's been a nightmare for decades largely due to greed on the part of medical suppliers, department of health officers and consultants on mega buck wages and pensions. So maybe remember that it's greed on the part of our own that's to blame before attacking "foreigners " !

More false interpretations on your behalf.

This is exactly why you lot don't have representation with any serious political party.

You claim you want a 'conversation' about immigration but really you only want to scream 'open borders' and demand more and harder failing deterrent policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Maybe they should divert the funding given to IHREC to help provide this accommodation…..

Anyone know if this guy's another one of our fine anti-immigration patriots?

Might not be of course, but there was an awful lot of talk about violence and taking action against the government yesterday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-buildings-rammed-6453346-Aug2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was me. I couldn't get my emails to send (must be blocked) so I decided to deliver printed versions. They wouldn't let me in!!

I'll burn em out!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yes and that greed is extending into the lucrative business of migration. Which in turn puts massive very visible pressure on infrastructure.

So yes it's the politicians/money men that should get the blame but people can only do that by protest.

It's on you if you label that protest far right/racism.

When in reality it's protest against the people who have always been to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rugbyf565

time to vote out roddy O’Gorman, he’s gone next election right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He will not be a minister after next election. The election is in November despite Harris lying about it being next year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I expected better of you Cluedo.

You seemed to me like someone who would know that the pen is mightier than the Transit van. 😁

• Advertisement

Of course greed is not confined to the " politicians/money men" as you call them. Also to blame are the layabouts on benefits ( BTW it is pretty much impossible NOT to find a suitable job nowadays) who are only too willing to engage in civil disobedience and protest.

Advertisement