Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Racist scum trashing Sunderland tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Disgraceful only 15 days since the leeds riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭whatever.

Please then detail quantitatively what the consequences you refer to are

Your admittance of consequences is the verification of a problem

One cannot begin to address any problem unless it is quantified

For extra clarity I wish to affirm my earlier submission

Then specify a number for which you think is tolerable

Your compassion maybe without limit but the physical world most definitely has

And don't run away from the question, have the courage of your convictions

Specify a number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Simply untrue.

Very many people from outside the EU would require a visa to board a ferry in North Africa.

This is not a security measure required by ferry companies.

It is a border control measure required by countries at the other side of the Mediterranean.

Sorry, putting some kind of quantitative figure on something like that would be a very huge and serious piece of work requiring quite specialized skills around, I guess risk analysis and actuary, for a start.

For the purposes of your question, which was to give my opinion on something, I have more than justified my answer by my postings throughout the thread, which provided documented evidence of both the cost and consequence of the type of hard border measures proposed here to stop immigration.

You've provided no cost or consequence if you did you would be able to actually reference it

Very simply if we had zero refugees our costs would thus be zero also

You introduced the cost versus consequence line have the courage of your conviction and specify a number of refugees that are acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Correct. I've been talking about visa requirements since this thread began. I can tell you which African countries do and do not require visas. You on the other hand didn't know that such requirements existed until you read it on this thread.

And then firstly you called for the removal of visa requirements. Then you stated more recently that you didn't want changes to immigration rules. So youre contradicting yourself.

So yes, if someone buys a ticket and meets the requirements (which would include visas) then they can come here. So once again, what do you want to change exactly? You want the removal of visa requirements is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭nachouser

Stats up above. Apparently about 1-3k are approved per year. It's all there. But sure some on here will keep pushing the millions of refugees invading us nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

So,.... "THE HIGH COURT has ruled that the State is in breach of human rights law by failing to house almost 3,000 people who have sought international protection in Ireland since last year"

Do those Human Rights not include indigenous Irish or are they back of the queue?

Approved is categorically different from admitted. It is misguided even disingenuous to equate the two

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Repro212

It appears that those same rights do not apply to the Irish. Perhaps it's time for a few thousand of us to queue up outside the IPO, peacefully and without documents, to register claims for asylum. "But why", ask the world's media, "why are you claiming asylum in your own country?" "Because this is no longer our country, the ethnic Irish are being discriminated against in favour of asylum seekers, the majority of whom we believe to be disingenuous. We are therefore left with no option but to claim asylum ourselves to try to achieve some level of equality and raise awareness of our predicament."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Time would be better spent lobbying IHREC who took the case to court.

They should also take a case for the 14k Irish homeless and see what the verdict is.

Equality and all that.

I can't see at this point that you don't understand but it's interesting for me to try various ways of explaining.

For those seeking asylum we waive immigration requirements at foreign ports and airports.

They would still have to meet security requirements for airlines or ferry companies.

Once at a physical European border they can apply for asylum if they meet the criteria. If they don't they can't enter. If for some reason they decided they no longer wished to seek asylum, they would be refused entry unless they met standard border controls, visa, EU citizen etc.

To combat abuse we add further restrictions and conditions to entering the workforce, especially for those who don't receive refugee status.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dogsdodogsstuff

This sort of situation is what gives fuel to the anti immigration sentiment. I saw this headline and thought the same thing.

Im neither pro/anti on this topic as to be frank I don’t pay attention to it enough to make an objective statement either way. But what really annoys me is that there is no progressive and open discussions about it. I know it’s an extremely difficult and complex thing to try and discuss politically for all kinds of reasons, but shipping in people and sort of ignoring the discord is not the way to do it.

Economically , I hear quite often that most immigrants are cost neutral or positive to economy. That may be so, but it’s kind of a blanket statement with little to no actual data confirming.

The “this is the right thing to do, just shut up and take it” approach to housing is also a problem. While I don’t condone the kind of violence going on, planting groups of people on towns/areas without local consultation is a terrible way to try and help people integrate.

I get that “nobody wants these places near them so talking about it will just mean it will always be rejected by locals” but that’s a problem to solve , not just ride roughshod over locals.

The older I get the more cynical I get on all things political. Right/left whatever people’s political or personal views on these sort of topics, there is extremism and borderline dogmatic religious ignorance which makes it difficult to have reasonable discussions on what to do.

I still find it odd that this sort of stuff is going on and there doesn’t appear to be even one decent blueprint on how to handle this in an empathetic and fair way (to refugees and indigenous Irish). That’s a broader topic on the failure/dysfunction of modern democratic politics that extends way beyond this topic.

To some degree we have a tiered society, in recent times especially around meeting the cost of housing. But it could be far, far worse. Our Gini Coefficient is quite low.

We spend too much on asylum accommodation. State accommodation would be far cheaper. Sadly costs for private accommodation will, and likely have, risen significantly due to violent protests and arson attacks.

I believe the reason we spend at all on asylum accommodation is because it is best option available to us. Hard border control measures are expensive and carry numerous risks, such as people living undocumented, worsen EU divisions etc

At least in terms of IPAs nobody's being 'shipped in'.

In fact the EU spends billions, and actually has quite extreme measures to try keep people from coming here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭boetstark

A very good point. And to expand that point further this group of village idiots are spending us down the road to destruction.

Billions being wasted including on accommodation for these chances.

We as a country have the highest GDP dependency by a mile of any country in EU on FDI , at 63%.

Intel are cutting worldwide by 15000 jobs and unsure how many will be in Ireland.

I know of another multinational that is in firing line of closing approx 2028 with loss of 1000 high paid jobs.

We have a monster national debt to start paying and ngo's the government and some posters here want to spend spend on non Irish IPA's.

Bad days are coming but the usual will shout us down as right wing agitators.

Here, here...

Now let's all go and try to drive costs higher by burning places down, intimidating workers, and having the public order unit deployed every other night.

Are you with me fellow brave patriots?

Always said and i know nothing about economies but what goes up must come down eventually. I dont trust those big corporates and relying on their tax take to finance this stupidy is very bad accounting.

Government think their being smart too. The more people the less debt per capita. Looks good on paper but if most don't contribute. It will just worsen the overall situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

You've lost the plot MB,you have revealed yourself to be just another open borders devotee who sneers at everybody else and their opinions,you're the best recruiting agent that the anti immigrant cause will ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Our rainy day fund which we spent years carefully building up in the event of another recession is all but pissed up against the wall with this asylum scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://news.sky.com/story/italys-guantanamo-inside-the-centres-for-migrants-rescued-from-boats-set-to-open-in-albania-13189430

God this is exactly what I want. Watch the numbers dwindle for Italy because they now have an effective deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Repro212

Sure, we could do that as well. I think there's value in any peaceful action that highlights what we're up against. In the same way that small villages would benefit from outside support to swell their ranks, support for the country as a whole wouldn't go amiss. I feel there is a lack of awareness externally as to the scale and pace of change being pushed on Ireland. Were it to be highlighted more effectively, citizens of other European countries would quite rightly wonder - are we next? Any outside support that comes from that or proper spotlight (from non Irish media) on the lunacy of current policies has to be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Photobox

Excellent Post. Exactly how I feel about it all. Unfortunately I can't see any meaningful discussions/reform with so many vested interests, too many snouts at the trough so to speak. That is the stark reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

€1.9b+ spent directly on asylum last year. The real number will be higher as there will in indirect costs there too.

For each person who pays taxes in this country, that's €700 on average that you are personally contributing to asylum.

Anyone who's against this but will give preferences to government parties in the next election would want to take a look at themselves.

Advertisement