Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The person has never worked a day in their life, has a council house and depends on government handouts.

He is complaining that people are coming here to do what he has done all his life.

It is my point completely that the government are using people like him to tar anyone who wants to peacefully protest as lazy and racist etc.

The government handling of this is wrong, but I would not protest with people like this.

I guess these are the type of people who protest, a normal citizen would fear losing their job for being associated with these protests with the way the media go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Yvonne007

Yup. You are completely right.

If people have an issue with migrant men who we know nothing about living in tents in the city centre, making the city feel unsafe, or the fact that they are being bussed en masse into small rural towns that can't sustain them, they are "good ol' fashioned racists or xenophobes".

Relatively "very small number"?

Can you even hear yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sutherland suffered from detachment, recklessness and a severe lack of thoughtfulness towards the Irish. Bellowing on about unrestricted immigration to Ireland from his £ multi million palace in Kensington London for 20 years.

Well, in the last 10 years since his death, his unrestricted immigration vision for Ireland has come true and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭prunudo

And that there, is why the status quo will never be broken. You're more afriad to stand shoulder to shoulder with the man who has similar opinions to you, because of some sort of classist bs. Maybe the 3 other people around you at a protest are a homeowner, a businessman, and a grandmother. All 5 of you are there for the same reason.

Unfortunately the government know a lot of Irish think like this and will continue to do what they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As I recall a lot of the anti-immigration posters on these threads believed IPAs should be forced to live on the streets so as to 'deter' them from coming here?

How did that work out?

And yes, relatively small number, we've had about 140k IPAs arrive over the last ten years. Going by figures on the number's who have taken up the amnesty and no of refugees currently living in the state, it seems a lot of these have left.

Couple this with the knowledge that IPAs have strong involvement in the labour market and it's clear this is actually not very much of an issue in the greater scheme of things. I think all can agree though that emergency accommodation costs are far too high, and the sooner we move to state owned accommodation the better.

https://emn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/EMN-Ireland-Labour-Market-Integration-of-International-Protection-Applicants-in-Ireland.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,293 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

26 plus 20

How did he come by Germany and UK with no ID?

When I had to get sick pay when off work, I was put through some hoops by DSP to finally get pay help

Anyone turning up without documentation and paperwork proving who they are, where they came from, why exactly they are here and how they got here, should receive no help whatsoever.

But you also want to complain about people living in tents?

I'd think you'll have no problem finding things to be outraged about for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would not call 140,000 a "very small number", especially as it is increasing by 300 - 400 per week, or 15k-20k per annum.

That figure exclude the UKR flows, and excludes the legal immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No, we absolutely DON'T agree that we should move to State owned accommodation!! Unless it is a series of detention centres like Villawood in Australia, or those near airports in the UK. Please stop telling people what they think ok ?

If we have to invest any more money into this debacle it needs to be spent on:

Prevention of illegal entry where possible and if this means talking to the neighbours to help with the "border" then so be it;

Adding extra staff to the process so it doesn't take 13 months for a case to be heard - and NO ONE who comes in without documentation should be allowed into the country proper until they have been investigated and we know who they are. I have to show my passport every time I board a flight and it is scanned at the airport - if you don't have it when you land we know you have given it to an organised trafficker to reuse. So we need technology to scan a passport at every entry point - the EU has the money, we just need the balls to ask them.

Making sure those who should be kicked out are sent packing as soon as possible, if this means detaining them for as long as it takes to charter a flight or series of flights again so be it.

I'm tried of hearing "they're just here for a better life". Great, apply for a work visa and do it right. If you don't qualify then don't come. Other hits that keep coming - "fleeing war and persecution! - no the majority are not; "international obligations" - we don't have any save taking a certain number direct from refugee camps in Syria etc and those from Ukraine - which we have done.

It's an NGO led scam and whilst O'Moron and his idiotic supporters go back to their posh Killiney gaffs, they people they lied to to encourage them to come here sleep on the streets when they should be assessed promptly, no appeal after appeal and sent back - Geldof may have espoused "feed the world" 40 years ago; I doubt he meant that should include all inclusive facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭twinytwo

What is unrealistic is your weird belief that you can bring unlimited numbers in, without the ability to remove those who should not be here.

What is even worse is your inability to see the issue with this. And almost on queue play the old racism card, much easier to deflect and shut down criticism than back up your nonsense.

Why should there not be focus on it? The country and tax payer is being taken for a ride.

I don't WANT to complain about living in tents. I HAVE to.

I find it completely unacceptable. If someone comes into the country without the documentation and proof of how they got here, they should either be arrested or deported.

Nobody's being brought in. People are arriving of their own volition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

It is truly terrifying that you actually believe that.

I don't think that it's a class issue.

The media, the government and virtue signalling idiots have people believing that only the far right have an issue with the current illegal immigrant/bogus asylum seeking situation.

Anyone protesting the shambles happening at the moment is being labelled as Far-Right.

I know people who would love to protest but a clip of them on the news or a picture in the paper would be enough to have them identified and branded as a racist Far Right xenophobe (as you can see from the poster a few above) which would have serious employment and person implications.

It's a very sneaky and well thought out method of quelling the discontent.

There seems to be quite a disconnect between how you think things should work, and how they actually do.

It might help to take some time to learn about how things actually work, and consider why the systems we have evolved as they did?

I've tried to understand how you guys see things, maybe you can explain to me?

It's seems Rodric O'Gorman is some kind of evil mastermind, in cahoots with the hoteliers and ngos, and with control over the MSM, academia, and several arms of government.

But I'm also led to believe there's some kind of deep-state conspiracy across the EU?

It would help greatly if you guys could explain your beliefs a bit more thoroughly.

No. There is no disconnect.

I know how I would like things to work. It isn't happening at the moment. Which is why I am talking about it.

And as for how it ACTUALLY works? Thats the whole point. The point is that, at the moment, it DOESNT WORK. Rural towns overwhelmed. Mini shanty towns with tents strewn across the city. Hotels full of undocumented immigrants. Millions upon millions of tax payers money being doled out to support them. It's not working.

And please, if you choose to respond to me, please try not to be so patronising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭suvigirl

They cannot be deported if they claim asylum, that would be against the law.

They can be arrested, and then they can claim asylum.

So, they claim asylum either way.

• Advertisement

Arrest them. Let them claim asylum. But do not let them into the general public until it has been proven beyond doubt and established exactly who they are, where they came from and that their case is genuine.

So your answer to all this is to start putting people in prison and deporting them.

Are you aware how difficult it is to deport people? What's your solution for overcoming this?

And where are these prisons? What do you expect the cost to be of imprisoning all these people? What will you do with families and children?

And how do you propose dealing with the international aspect of all of this? If harsher measures here push people towards other EU countries, how do we deal with the consequences of that, or do you not think this would happen?

You've complained about being patronised so please provide some detailed realistic answers, and not the same old simplistic sloganeering we've heard again and again from anti-immigration posters on here.

Asylum seekers must provide identification during their application even if they don't produce it on arrival into the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

"So please provide some detailed realistic answers"

Seriously? The irony of this is obviously lost on you again.😂

Your day looks to be getting better, seems your band is back together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

I haven't heard of anyone swimming across the Irish sea yet.

I'm guessing most are being brought in by boat, plane or automobile or are you suggesting they are flying the planes etc themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭combat14

something serious up in europe if germany stepping up its border controls

Germany steps up controls at borders in response to ‘irregular migration’

New regulations come into force next week following spate of suspected Islamist attacks (The Guardian UK)

Advertisement