Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AnaB

This building in Ballybrit Business Park is surrounded by multinationals - Boston Scientific, Hewlett-Packard, Schneider Electric, Johnson and Johnson office. What they gonna do now? People working there late and Night Shifts - ? Will people be thinking to change their jobs or companies to leave or relocate from this place????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Not saying zero but we should be able to say no more if we cannot cater for more

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

Ah you poor thing. Seeing enemies where there are none! Im not worming out of anything by the way.! My only advice to you is mind your mental health. It is quite obvious from your responses that it is quite brittle. Peace and goodwill to you. Make love not war!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yep. Exactly. And the council wouldn't take them.am

the housing crisis in this country is man made entirely by government. there are no shortage of vacant dwellings in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

Ah you poor thing! Seeing enemies where there are none! Not apologising for anything cos there's nothing to apologise for or to worm out of either! My only advice is to mind your mental health. It is quite obvious from your responses , taking umbrage over nothing, that it is quite brittle. Peace and goodwill. Make love not war!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Tefral

Cathal Crowe too. He was slapped back into line though.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41017880.html

You clearly do not understand anything about the system.

When people get to immigration control, they claim asylum, which is a legal right for everybody world-wide. The immigration officials don't need to question them as they will now go into the asylum process, where they will be housed, interviewed(probably a number of times) their fingerprints and photographs are taken, then their application is assessed.

Why would they want to do that? Because people will be living in the business park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Central mental hospital, south Dublin.

They are planning to use this site for housing refugees.

Maybe that will help to calm down those people who keep shouting

house them in South county Dublin luxurious suburbs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So if it’s a world wide policy I could fly into the US and claim asylum and they’d bring me to an asylum center instead of putting me on the next plane home?

Gg

Yes you can claim asylum, but why the hell would you want to live in an asylum centre ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It would have been better if you just didn't respond and left it go.

Telling me in a housing crisis no Irish person took the opportunity to rent or buy anywhere in a block of apartments available for years when people are desperate for accomadation.

I don't believe you and I would wager 99% of the people in this thread don't believe you.

You are on social media telling lies while dismissing points claiming its far right telling lies.

You are doing the exact same thing, you just need to make your stories a bit more believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes. America are also recognises the right to seek asylum. I would suggest the centre you would be placed in wouldn't be Great!

Probably better off just going in illegally 😁

These apartments have been lying empty since Celtic tiger times. Have a look around the country and see just how many estates and dwellings are lying empty for almost 20 years. Maybe open your eyes .

I don't lie

You said these were offered to Irish people and they all refused.

You are stating for a fact irish people were offered them and they all refused, I am not sure how you are privy to such information.

You said they were up for rent and sale for years and not one person rented any of them.

It is complete and utter lies and in no way believable.

People are crying out for places to rent with a handful of properties in most cities and your telling us a block of apartments was offered to Irish people and everyone of them refused.

Are you going to double down on your statement about irish people being offered and refusing apartments in a housing crisis where people are desperate for accomadation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

No, they are too busy down the pub talkin about them foreigners and sure did ye not see the news, ye cant move for the rapin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

As you say a lot of these dwelling have been empty and unused for 20 years. I’d wager very few would be fit for habitation right now. Would require a fairly large scale public works scheme to bring them on line.

They absolutely should be utilised but are likely only an option over the medium term. Accommodation for asylum seekers is needed immediately, not in a year or two. People are continuing to stream in and there’s nowhere to put them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I'm not sayin there aren't issues, but this plays right into the hands of dare I say it, the Far....... stupid. on a serious note, I have seen so many average joes saying Fk em they shouldnt be here and i ask a simple question like why not? and they cant answer! alot of the people moaning and groaning about this aren't basing their reasons on an educated decision its just hate and begrudgery which in turn whips up hate and begrudgery that's why I would say its easy to whip uneducated people into hate, just look at Trumpisim, the vast majority of his supporters aren't educated well enough to make proper decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What the hell are you on about?

“Why not?”

“Because we’re in the midst of one of worst housing crises in the history of the state and our health system is buckling under the strain of enormous demand. We have massive waiting lists for procedures and record numbers on trollies and homeless being broken each consecutive month.

It’s simply a bad time to be adding in tens of thousands of additional people who will also overwhelmingly rely on governmental assistance for housing and health. We should reduce numbers for the moment to allow some breathing room on the systems while we expand capacity.”

“ehh…nah you’re just racist” - you (probably)

Perhaps you should open your eyes and take a look around you. The housing crisis is completely government made. There are huge amounts of properties lying idle, ghost estates still exist. And when you say ' leitrim/roscommon/longford etc has a huge amount of empty properties, inevitably the response is, no one wants to live there. Thankfully asylum seekers are not so picky, so at least some empty properties are being used.

It's nothing to do with asylum seekers and everything to do with government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I doubt people will leave their jobs over this. Why would they? People working in those places often have very long tenure. I am sure they will survive the shock.

Isn't it the old J&J office that they are using or is it another building?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Oh I have no doubt they needed work, but what happened was the private developer fixed them up and now they are rented for asylum seekers. At the same time, the council are currently building houses (I think 6/8) in a local estate. I can't understand why the council couldn't have taken them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

We have a perfectly good visa system for those with skills who want to come here and work. Uncontrolled migration is no good for anyone and makes it even a less attractive place to come to for skilled workers due to inflated prices and lack of services. The EU needs to seriously review its migration policies.

I am aware we have ghost towns around ireland, I never said we didn't.

You said the block of apartments went up for sale and rent and were offered to Irish people who all turned them down.

How you know this information is a mystery.

Based on your waffling about nothing I said and unwillingless to double down on that comment, it is safe to say you were telling lies.

No point responding to me again waffling on about ghost estates, you stated irish people in a housing crisis where people are desperate for accomadation were offered places to rent or buy in apartment blocks and they all turned them down.

Your words were irish people were offered them and they all turned them down.

You were telling lies which is evident to everyone here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AnaB

I work there. There are 2 buildings designated, Schneider Electric office is in between.

Advertisement