Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

And I'm a wizard Harry.

Interesting to know that unless you are a doctor or engineer some posters believe you have no value to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭rgossip30

So the government needs to ramp up so we can take in more love the logic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

You are correct, there is vile scumbags everywhere but it is hard enough for AGS dealing with the scum we already have besides letting criminals from other countries in here, there is genuine people fleeing war, hardships and persecutions but also one's coming here for freebies from safe countries going through many other countries to get here conveniently without a passport on arrival here

We have record number of homeless which is not going to be helped by adding more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But homelessness and refugees are two completely different subjects. Homeless charities and state agencies don't deal with asylum seekers and by the same token, refugee charities and state agencies don't deal with the homeless - they are usually accommodated in totally different places, with no overlap between the two.

The government is bringing in refugees and asylum seekers and trying to accommodate them but nothing for the record number of Irish homeless, why?

How many have been effected by the eviction ban overturn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah thats grand, people who go to through the correct process of getting a work visa are turned down but the chancer who dumps his documents is let in which is why about 5000 people are here that we have no idea who they are and can't deport them.

And sure Varadkar himself admitted that even if a decision is made that someone has no right to be here if the country they came from won't take them back they will be left here.

Strict system my eye, we are a laughing stock to the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,423 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No words.

Nobody gives a dam. How we let this happen I don't know but depressing

From a Human level heart sinks reading this

Homes given to Refugees and Asylum Seekers could not be given to Homeless or Evicted Tenants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

It’s not a trap, it’s reality.

Housing is a zero sum game - by providing one person with a house that means someone doesn’t get it. Your point only works if we have unlimited housing capacity, which we are absolutely nowhere near. We’re not even approaching “sufficient” never mind limitless.

If you want to fuel the far right in Ireland the absolute best way is to be giving houses to randomers arriving in the country for the first time while Irish people working and paying taxes can’t get a house and are living with their parents into their late 30s. Nobody wants to see a rise of the far right in Ireland but current government policy is playing directly into their hands.

They need to moderate things a step or two back or people are really going to start getting pissed off. Resentment builds to a point where you get emotional protest voting and that’s how Trump or Brexit happens. I don’t want that for Ireland. We’re not special, it could happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not sure I've heard anyone make the claim that the 12,000 or so Irish homeless people are homeless because of refugees or asylum seekers. As I mentioned, the state agencies and charities who help the Irish homeless don't even have anything to do with asylum seekers or accommodating them. If you're referring to those new modular homes, I believe they are only intended to be a form of temporary emergency accommodation and not somewhere where people would live or raise a family.

Yeah absolutely

It’s difficult to be open handed and ungrudging with resources when there’s not enough for yourself

Completely mystifying how bad the govt have managed our infrastructure. I’m not one to blame all the ills of the world on “the gubbermint” but they genuinely have been a disgrace in this regard the last few years. Total failures. And worst is there are no stand out other options. Wish I could say I believe in SF but I don’t at all.

As you say, if things in the country had been managed properly and standard hard working people could get houses for themselves (as they reasonably should be able) we wouldn’t even be having this discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Let me see if I have your point right.

Due to Climate Change we should house/feed people who are going to be fleeing the impacts of Climate Change... which is forecasted to be as high as 1.2 billion people seeking refugee by 2050.

Do you honestly think if we ramp up infrastructure (which will only make Climate Change worse) Europe/Ireland will be able to house and feed the extra 1.2 billion people?

Where are we going to house them? Where are we going to grow/produce enough food for everyone?

All the while you think ot will be business as usual for our living standards and services?

You simply are not thinking about this, or are very naïve.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

The poster, though well meaning, has chosen a rather apt username unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

That's a false dilemma. There's other competing groups at play, for example, those who agree with your sentiments and those that don't and both those groups have Irish and non-Irish members.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

1.2 billion, that is nearly one 8th of the entire Human population.

As it stands now Europe has a population of around 741 million... and a lot of European countries are already struggling to house/feed/employ their populations. Yet you think we can happily take on a population swell that is almost double of that which is already here?

Invest in infrastrucutre... which will only seed up the Climate Change disaster, the manufacturering of concrete (our main building material).is one of the biggest pollutants on the planet. An increase in infrastrucutre would mean a lot more concrete being produced and poured.

You do know this isn't Star Trek, we don't have handy replicators that can just magic things into being?

We live on a planet with limited finite resources, and limted finite space.

We (collectively as a species) are in an unwinnable situation. The proverbial is about to hit the fan.

Post edited by 2Greyfoxes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

End of Time. . or Days

Nostradamus has some really bad predictions for 2023.

Not really end of time or days, just our species will suffer a lot, and a good number of civilizations will collapse.

Nostradamus was so vague that his mad ravings could mean anything, I'd rather put my trust in scientific models and projections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah but its a bit disconcerting thst he got so many things right lately.

I am generally a science geek myself, but its late and people are talking about 1.2 million refugees fleeing from a burning ball in the sky and collapse of the world as we know it...

• Advertisement

Nah, he got jack and s**t right. All his 'predictions' only seem to work retroactively, that is to say, applying them to events that have after they happen.

Not 1.2 Milion, but 1.2 Billion. 1.2 Million we could handle very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

How can we Blue Sky?

How many homes per year can we build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

No more than 20000 according to Eamonn Ryan and the Greens a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

The government didn’t make my house happen but my taxes sure help others. I’d like a say in whose free houses I am contributing towards and I don’t feel near as generous as your good self,

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,569 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Honest Q - where did you get the 1.2b figure for 2050? I don't doubt it, just curious. Is that number from Africa and ME or global?

I have been saying this for a while - we ain't seen nothing yet in terms of the inevitable future mass migration numbers.

The EU and Ireland will try and stop the influx but they will try to enter either way. The EU needs a plan, they are only reactionary at the moment.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/news/2022/aug/18/century-climate-crisis-migration-why-we-need-plan-great-upheaval

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20221117-how-borders-might-change-to-cope-with-climate-migration

A Think tank made the calculation/conclusion a few years ago, and ot was widely reported. The BBC and The Guardian did pieced on it back in 2022, I think due to the sheer unrelenting nature of news cycles of late (Covid, Supply failure, War in Ukraine, etc) a lot of important news pieces fall to the way side and get forgetten quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You would be surprised the number of people that would give up same sex marriage and abortion rights to have proper immigration laws enforced. The irony here is that the people being let in come from regions with poor women’s/gay rights and with far more backwards religious views. You are seeing the ‘thank you’ we will be getting in the future in the attack we saw in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Marcos

Precisely, it is the blatant double standards at play here that are causing increasing resentment.

"If you want to fuel the far right in Ireland the absolute best way is to be giving houses to randomers arriving in the country for the first time while Irish people working and paying taxes can’t get a house and are living with their parents into their late 30s. Nobody wants to see a rise of the far right in Ireland but current government policy is playing directly into their hands."

It's well for those getting this A rated accommodation, fully furnished and only having to pay €40 a month for electricity, internet and waste disposal. How is that going to play with everybody else being crucified by ever increasing gas and electricity charges, seeing the red carpet rolled out for people new to the parish? Especially when you see the likes of that poor fella above dealing with cancer and having to live in a tent, or like you say, people living in a box room in their parents house until their late 30's or so.

"They need to moderate things a step or two back or people are really going to start getting pissed off. Resentment builds to a point where you get emotional protest voting and that’s how Trump or Brexit happens. I don’t want that for Ireland. We’re not special, it could happen here."

IMO they're not capable of moderating things, they're totally captured by immigration NGOs, who they give our money to, to lobby them to double down more. This is just going to cause trouble. What will they do if, or when, there are similar attacks here like we've seen in Annecy and Nottingham yesterday? Nobody wants to see anything like it, but maybe we've been lucky so far. We're no different to the rest of Europe in this matter and the "sure everyone likes us cos we're Irish" won't cut it.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Christ on a bike. Can't get internet for €40 a month, never mind the utilities, and waste disposal.

if this is true, it really comes at a bad time. How anyone can think this will go down well with people struggling to make ends meet is beyond me. Yes we need to help those fleeing a war torn country, those who are escaping from the tyrany of Putin... this however doesn't mean we do so at the expense of those who already live in Ireland and are struggling.

Hate to say it, but ai think the next generation are going to be utterly nasty fascist, pendulums swing, and they swing further the more they are pushed.

• Advertisement

So who is going to invest so the country can take in the global need .

Advertisement