Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Did you actually read that article?

I don't see anything in it that suggests there is something wrong with England. Perhaps you could point it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭baldbear

Does anyone know how the Brazilian asylum seeker got on who was on a few media outlets? Does he have an Instagram/tiktok account?

There was one conflict. Involving a few hundred Hindu men and Muslim men. A public order incident if you like.

Not out of the ordinary by any stretch of the imagination.

'On September 20, Hindu and Muslim religious leaders issued a joint statement, describing Hindus and Muslims as “a family” who share a city that is “a beacon of diversity and community cohesion”. It echoed the increasingly popular explanation that the trouble was instigated by outsiders, bolstered by media reports that eight of the 18 people arrested on September 18, 2022 did not reside in Leicestershire.

“We together call upon the inciters of hatred to leave our city alone,” the joint statement said. “Leicester has no place for any foreign extremist ideology that causes division.”'

Not exactly an everyday occurrence in that particular city.

I don't know how you can get away with saying there is something wrong with England based on one, out of the ordinary, public order incident? Unless you are one of those people that just hate England and everything about it?

Also, is there some suggestion that any of the people involved in the public order incident are refugees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I'm actually not very worried about climate change, on a personal level. It will cause mass immigration from certain parts of the world.

Riots in France are regular occurrence, the French like to demonstrate. This particular incident is about police shooting dead a 17 year old boy.

Now, can anyone please explain why posters are somehow trying to shoehorn riots and public order incidents into an anti refugee agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

So you're not worried by climate change and then say it will cause mass immigration, so you are basically saying you want mass immigration. Well good to see you finally admit how you feel on the matter.

I neither want nor don't want mass immigration. Immigration is going to happen. It is what it is and I'm fine with immigration.

This thread is about refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭rgossip30

''All migrants are economic migrants '' so does that include refugees or are you mixed up again ?

I'm never mixed up.

[economic migrant]

NOUN

economic migrant (noun) · economic migrants (plural noun)

1. a person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living.

• Advertisement

So you neither want nor don't want mass immigration. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

Wrong.

We are not protecting our borders by allowing everyone in.

Watch Australian border control programs. Thats what you call controlling our borders.

We should of course reach out and take in a certain % of refugees who are displaced in UN camps eg. Syrians, Afgans. We should take only the number we can accomodate, we can't take everyone.

But the state needs to discourage the influx of people flying in from safe countries with lost passports.

I believe that the majority of citizens of this country would agree with this view.

I notice Mattie Mc Grath TD Laois /Offaly has posters looking for a referendum . He says he is not responsible and gave no permission .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas is staying in The Marker Hotel or The Gibson Hotel and will be on First Dates Ireland

The statement was made that we must have the right to protect our borders, I said we do, because we do.

Because the government chose to allow asylum seekers that doesn't mean we don't have the right. It just means they don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Let's not play stupid now; there are certain parts of England and even France, Belgium, Germany, and Sweden where areas are so dangerous that even law enforcement don't go to them areas and crime is sky high, violent and vicious attacks on women are also above the average incidence rates; all of this is well-known and has been reported many times over the years since the huge influx of refugees to Europe in the years after the Arab Spring.

I'm not saying all people from one particular country, region or race are the same and you know I'm not so stop misconstruing what I'm saying. There are parts of countries in Europe where certain areas have become more or less no-go zones for most people who are not affiliated with those communities and at time this does include emergency services personnel due the the increased risk to their safety and lives.

Never once did I suggest anything of the sort, once again you're misconstruing. The department needs a massive overhaul and more stringent enforcement of the rules; no individual who has been refused asylum should be given the right to remain in any circumstance, it makes a complete mockery of the asylum and immigration laws and sends out the wrong message to the despicable people traffickers and the individuals who are fraudulently seeking asylum as refugees when in fact they are economic migrants who are not eligible to emigrate to Ireland in legal terms.

Yes, that is true; the vast overwhelming majority of refugees presently in Ireland are from Ukraine (which is a side issue). However, increasingly over the previous 12 months there has been an increase in other refugees coming to Ireland and they are primarily adult males from North African and Middle-Eastern nations, who as mentioned several times are not refugees but in fact illegal economic migrants.

No they are not!! People don't just move for economic reasons, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, truly idiotic. How daft are you to think there is one and only one reason for people to emigrate.

There is nothing wrong with migration though and never did I say there was; if you bothered to actually read anything I've said you'd be very much aware that I am pro-immigration and welcome the additions and enhancements that immigrants bring to our society, and that I am in favour of reforming immigration laws to increase the number of legal immigrants to the country per annum.

If you plan on replying please don't waste either of our time by misconstruing my words for the umpteenth time.

England is not a dump. And I don't know how you could come to such a conclusion based on that article!

Legal immigration is not what creates ghettos. Bad social policy is.

There is no reason to go extreme and presume that people coming here will be anything other then good citizens, adding to our society. And most definitely no reason to think anyone will 'destroy our culture ' considering the Irish have exported our culture all over the world, I doubt very much it will disappear!

Post edited by suvigirl on

People don't just move for economic reasons, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, truly idiotic. How daft are you to think there is one and only one reason for people to emigrate.

eco·nom·ic mi·grant

[economic migrant]

NOUN

1. a person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living.

I would imagine most people emigrate to improve their standard of living, or else, what's the point?

other refugees coming to Ireland and they are primarily adult males from North African and Middle-Eastern nations, who as mentioned several times are not refugees but in fact illegal economic migrants.

No, they are not refugees. They are asylum seekers. And what is an illegal economic migrant? A made up term that means nothing.

there are certain parts of England and even France, Belgium, Germany, and Sweden where areas are so dangerous that even law enforcement don't go to them areas

completely untrue, there are no areas that law enforcement do not enter.

And I have never misconstrued your words, nor have I ever insulted and abused you, perhaps you could give me the same respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The notion that the integrity of one's view on refugees can be determined on whether they would actually house a refugee in their own home is just so hopelessly daft. A lot of problems with poverty and homelessness in this country could be helped by people bringing others into their own homes — the reason this doesn't happen is not because people don't care about the problem or want it to be addressed — but simply that people don't like to have strangers in their personal private space. Things work in balance and tandem, you don't have to abandon every last personal or selfish interest you have as a person in favour of something you advocate in order to avoid being a hypocrite.

As for court claims, refugees have rights under international and domestic law — they are not rightless and cannot just be subjected to entirely arbitrary mistreatment without recourse. If a claim is successfully upheld by a court then that is because a right has been violated or a duty has been neglected. You don't just walk into a courtroom complaining that the food isn't Michelin star quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Clearly you have well-developed arguments on the matter.

Yeah, but the issue is even if someone is deemed not eligible to stay in Ireland and is given a deportation order they are told to manually do it. This is nonsense. In most cases they don't and eventually get refugee status so the system is basically no system at all.

There is no real fear of deportations as they are rarely carried out so it's basically saying if you come here no matter if you are legit or not chances are you will end up being able to stay here. This is not sustainable and it shows.

'I stated that not all migrants move for economic reasons and to think so would be stupid, as there are a myriad of reasons as to why people emigrate.'

economic migrant

NOUN

economic migrant (noun) · economic migrants (plural noun)

1. a person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living

Most migrants move to improve their standard of living.

Improving one's living standards is not always tied to money, are you unable to comprehend that not all people's lives revolve around money!

I never mentioned money

There are neighborhoods in those countries where emergency personnel do not enter on a general basis and when necessary to do so it is under armed guard. 

different to what you stated in your last post, where you said law-enforcement don't enter certain areas. They enter every area. I do agree that some emergency personnel need police with them when they enter certain areas. Ballyfermot, Neilstown, Loughlinstown are just a few areas I'm aware of that DFB personnel have been attacked by locals.

it also true that some neighborhoods are operating unto their own laws and have their own courts.

All neighbourhoods in all countries are subject to that country's laws, there are no exceptions.

sharia councils have no standing in law. Neither do Jewish councils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From Newstalk

More than 180 asylum seekers who arrived in Ireland last year failed to show up for their first official interview and never entered the refugee system.

Figures released under the Freedom of Information Act revealed in 41 of these instances the applicant provided a reasonable cause and the interview was rescheduled.

Last year, 13,651 people arrived in Ireland seeking refuge - a 186% increase on 2019, the most recent comparable pre-pandemic year.

This is without a doubt the main issue. What a farce that someone is trusted to voluntarily leave a country they have travelled thousands of miles to in undoubtedly awful conditions. It makes a complete mockery of the system and illegal economic migrants will continue to come to Ireland in their droves until the system is overhauled.

Over 75% of the population are in agreement on this and it will only rise the more they let in and down the line when the effects of this disastrous policy are fully seen a sharp rise in nationalism, hate speech and racial attacks will also be seen. The current government and opposition policies on this matter are abhorrent, they could all care less and are too busy pandering to the 'politically correct and sensitive souls brigade' to the detriment of the majority of society.

Perhaps you didn't read the definition of economic migrant?

You stated that law enforcement don't go into certain areas, that it a complete fabrication, they go into all areas, you then stated emergency personnel don't go without protection. If you can show me exactly where refugees are the cause of that, I'll appreciate it. Even the fact that it happens here in ireland, involving Irish people, is enough to show it is not refugees that cause this issue.

you're equating sharia councils with murderers? Yes they exist, what is wrong with them exactly?

Jewish councils also exist.

Canon law also exists.

It publishes articles, essays, interviews, and reviews that illuminate the different varieties of conservative, traditionalist, reactionary, and right-wing thought from across Europe and around the world.

'We welcome unsolicited manuscripts and submissions.'

So, you prefer to take one random persons opinion on the internet, over another random persons opinion, on the internet. Not surprisingly you will take the one published from right wing thought, as that what suits your own views on the subject.

Doesn't make it fact however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So put them all in a prison basically because they are not from - sounds remarkably familiar

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh dear! I am not disputing the definition of economic migrant; I'm disputing your idea that people only move for economic reasons, how can you not comprehend such simplicities.

I said at times they don't go into areas but when they do it is generally under armed guard; but there are cases whereby emergency personnel won't respond to minor incidents in certain areas due to the level of violence that they receive. It happens in Sweden and Germany in particular, this information is widely available online go look for it yourself, I'm not your personal research assistant. Just because something happens in Ireland in a particular way does not mean it is true of every other country on Earth, do you normally generalize swathes of people and nations with this black/white rationality?

It was an example but sure why not, it is a well-known fact that Sharia Law enacted as it is in certain countries and areas of other countries punishes particular perceived crimes with death.

Everything is wrong with them!! Religion holds no place in society, if people want to worship in private (including having places of worship) then they are free to do so and should not be prohibited from doing so unless it is harmful, which is exactly what religious councils are, they are harmful and exist to usurp the laws of the land.

Canon law holds no place in the legal system of this country so it is irrelevant here. And justifying one religious councils existence through the existence of former existence of another and/or their "laws" is not a good case, if anything it only further shows how absurd the idea of religious councils and laws are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Immigrants aren't the reason you can't see a doctor.

Immigrants are the reason you CAN see a doctor.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement