Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,206 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Is there such a thing as "controlled immigration"? If only 5000 people decide to move to Ireland in 2023, we are not in "control" of that figure. If 42,000 move here in 2024, we are not in control of that figure either.

The sham / fiasco known as Brexit was supposedly all about controlling immigration from the EU and we all know how that ended. The idea that we can control immigration seems a bit of a fallacy - there are way too many variables involved that are outside the reach of the government. It would be like thinking you can control the birth rate or the marriage rate or how many people take a holiday abroad or how much people spend on leisure activities in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Italy has called for more money for Africa, Hungary wanted more walls and France said the EU should help fight poverty and terrorism around the world, as well as combat global warming to see fewer people on the move.....

Ladies and gentlemen I give you.. the EU

So Italy wants the working man and woman of the EU to bail Africa out by throwing more of our hard earned cash at them hand over fist , indefinitely just in the hope they dont come.

France think the EU and its citizens are not only a charity but a global one. 'Global giveaway'

Hungry say... " fùck it, we look after our own... WE the citizens of the EU member states created this wealth , these resources, we should be putting it back into the EU... for the citizens who worked to earn it, create it "

I'm with them ^^^

The EU is rapidly becoming the FUMU.... fùcked up mad Union... with no sense of loyalty or self purpose... an absolute derogation of duty and responsibility to the wellbeing, welfare, safety and dignity of its member states and their citizens....

It's doomed , we are doomed...The way things are going.

Close the borders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The protests are being organised by nutters who want Ireland to leave the EU.

Rational thought wouldn't be on the list.

It’s not irrational to look at leaving behind, a relationship that is bullying, negatively impacting your wellbeing and compromising your safety.

I remember clearly that one of the main themes in the Brexit referendum was how leaving the union would allow the UK to "control immigration" from the EU. As we can see, the whole thing has descended into chaos, the UK isn't in control of anything and there are huge labour shortages across many sectors.

Once they get rid of the window lickers, I can see them reapplying for membership.

They committed economic suicide on the basis of abject lies.

It's no surprise the loons organising these protests are affiliated with the likes of Farage.

That man is just a dangerous parasite.

I’m glad you feel like you can speak for every irish citizen, some level of debate :)

‘the rest of us are grand ‘ ? We ain’t,

We are not leaving the EU. Tell HQ they are wasting their time.

Not presently, but we are walking into a shîtstorm that is changing the very fabric of society and the ability of this country to maintain fairness, safety and standards and quality of life for is citizens.

“We declare the right of the people of Ireland to the ownership of Ireland and to the unfettered control of Irish destinies, to be sovereign and indefeasible.”

That’s pretty unambiguous….

when we have zero ability to determine the democratic values and direction and destiny of this country… it’s simply undemocratic… democracy isn’t simply the ability to ‘elect’….democracy is governance based on the will of the people.

we need a refugee policy that doesn’t throw our wellbeing out of the water….

the only manner of achieving it… limit it.

• Advertisement

We really aren't. Again we are NOT leaving the EU.

Hermann does not care about you nor does he care about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Boggles is correct in a sense.

We would only consider leaving the EU, if it was glaringly obviously that the project was falling apart... we would be one of the last rats to leave the sinking ship, because our leaders are such spineless feckers!

But I could definitely see a few other nations considering their options over the next decade. We'll be paddy last to get the memo! We're not leaders, we're very clearly followers.

We are again… ‘not presently’

the project while not falling apart, it’s failing it’s citizens to a dangerous degree…. If there is still a constant stream of people arriving from every war torn, poverty stricken region throughout the world..the EU has no safe working future.

don’t forget, already the Ukranian situation has and is a catalyst for people elsewhere… “ hey, we want in, we want some of that “.. Africa being one region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

There are asylum seekers in the hotel just out of shot in that pic of the “single, military aged male” type though. Don’t think it was too much of a stretch to suggest more were being bussed in.

The story is complete bollíx, but here you are. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You post here a lot with “clever” one liners but can you clarify if you believe in open borders or if we should have any limits on who we take in?

Thank you.

I'll answer with a question. Do you think Ireland should leave the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

In your head it may seem like a bit of a ‘fallacy’ but there are quite a few developed nations that successfully control migration. Australia, a country in which I’ve lived for a while, does a pretty good job of controlling migration. Japan is also extremely particular about whom they admit, albeit with a indigenous demographic issue that they need to address urgently.

It’s a highly anomalous thought pattern to suggest that because X people ‘decide’ to move to Ireland in any given year, they simply must be admitted. In your head, Ireland has no agency over whom we choose to admit. That’s evidently not the case. Migration can be successfully controlled by a visa system targeting skilled labor, robust border control, and implementing conditions such that this country is an unattractive prospect for spurious asylum claims. This is also pretty elementary stuff..

The Brexit and leaving the EU arguments are a red herring. There are very few posters arguing that position as you’re well aware. Again it’s a tactic to deflect from the discussion at hand, which is how to handle the extraordinary volumes of asylum seekers that this country is currently experiencing.

Oz is an island in the middle of nowhere which doesn't have a union with dozens of other countries.

But even still.

In 2018, it was reported more than 60,000 foreigners are living illegally in Australia, and by 2021 it was reported that increased to more than 100,000

The Brexit and leaving the EU arguments are a red herring. There are very few posters arguing that position as you’re well aware.

There is a hell of a lot more than you would think. Some of them try and control it but the mask eventually always slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭lmao10

Wanting Ireland to leave the EU just shows a complete lack of knowledge in every area.

• Advertisement

So in 2021, illegal migrants constituted < 0.4% of the Australian population. That’s a pretty successful approach to controlling illegal migration. Thanks for the data.

Boggles, given the blatant dishonesty in which you’ve engaged in this thread, you’ll forgive me if I don’t place much faith in your critique of other posters’ motivations.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Finally the Irish state decides to get its act together on migrants

However this whole controversy is a spin off from 30 years of trying to create a functional housing market.

I made it clear that I see taking in Ukrainians as absolutely essential to a democratic Europe.

Fuck it - its the right thing to do.

As to the rest a lot are not really refugees and time we had orgainiztion

How would you go about controlling emigration from Ireland.....what laws would you pass? It's the exact same problem in reverse. The anti-immigration lobby think it's as simple as passing new laws, when there are numerous variables involved that are totally outside the remit of any government.

It's virtually impossible to 'control' things like the rate of population growth or how many people are living in the country at any given point.

What about the claim of protesters holding Swastika signs, you of all people should not be trying to accuse anyone of spreading misinformation.

I wonder do the Irexit loons explain to their supporters that there will be no dole or foreva homes if that were to happen? Of course they don't.

It’s absolutely not the same ‘problem’ in reverse and the fact that you’ve drawn that conclusion shows, once again how utterly devoid of logic you are.

There is no need to control emigration from Ireland, nor is there a need to legislate around it. Why?

Because Irish people aren’t initiating spurious asylum claims or destroying their documentation en-route. Instead, they tend to migrate legally, oftentimes bringing sought after skills to their destination country. Indeed, I was once such a migrant for a portion of my life, bringing my STEM skills to Australia and a neighboring EU member state.

The fact that you conflate migration of this nature to asylum seeking demonstrates willful ignorance.

And your answer?

You have your answer.

Open borders is part of the deal.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that the 'Ireland is full' guys don't even want migrant workers from the EU, never mind refugees or asylum seekers. Witness all their attacks on the EU and describing Leo Varadkar as "an EU lapdog".

Fair enough, so you believe anyone who turns from anywhere should be given accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's ambiguous phrasing and overused (thanks, US Republicans). Ireland certainly still has control over its borders.

Sounds like the EU still needs to invest in better preclearance protocols for EU-domestic flights though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You said to me only a couple of days ago when presented with statistics from 2021 on migration that that maths were too simple and therefore incorrect(according to you)…

I did not claim my post was of statistical value, it was merely a note to support my opinion that immigration of all sorts clearly has an impact on housing for everyone.

It seems to me you disagree with any examples or data that don’t support your own opinion yet fail to provide examples or data to back up your own thoughts.

“Ireexit loons” do not make up a statistical majority of the population who want more control of migration.

Have you any statistics or examples of them boggles or is that something I’ve to Google also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Always amused by the hypocrysy of Hermann Kelly making a lot of money from his job in Brussels

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I work for a company that has workers from India,Russia,China and various Euro countries that all came here on work visas. No problem at all with these, get on well with them all,it’s the chancers turning up from the likes of Albania,Georgia etc I have a problem with,so I’m far right?

Indeed. All these "close the borders" posts dont say what will happen to Irish people who wont be able to emigrate to EU, UK, US.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Huh?

In the context of the EU our borders are open, it's part of the deal.

TBH any migrants from the EU in my circle have worked hard for their accommodation and overall lifestyle, most of them being home owners.

Similarly friends and family who have migrated within the EU or the UK or even further a field.

• Advertisement

Those are as bad as the open borders rhetoric

Open! Closed!

That's just too ambiguous for the seriousness of the discussion and I dread pickets and placards all blasted with that language on it.

it was merely a note to support my opinion that immigration of all sorts clearly has an impact on housing for everyone

Well no, your claim was very specific.

Ukrainians asking to rent in an area they have no chance of gaining accommodation in.

You used this as an example of Ukrainians taking houses of Irish.

Which in your example they clearly are not.

We weren’t discussing the EU as you know, do you believe open borders from outside the EU?,

Of course we do, even within the EU we have more control because we are not in Schengen Area.

Again though we are doing okay, we are the only citizens on the planet that have a right to work and live in both the UK and the EU.

That doesn't have any consequence to people who rarely leave their house, let alone village.

I was certainly discussing the EU, I know this because I asked you a very specific question which contained the phrase EU.

I think you are trying to say we have open borders from outside the EU.

We clearly don't.

Think about it for 5 minutes.

Close the borders means close the borders as far as Im concerned

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Blow up the airlines and skuttle the ships.

I'll email Donald see if he will build us a wall.

Lol - so an area that it’s extreamly difficult to rent in will not be impacted by more people trying to rent in it? Is that what your saying? The problem is so bad, so why not?

Is that actually what your saying essentially?

if it’s not please correct me and make your position absolutely clear.

He's on to domes now.

I wish that was a joke but he's really, really desperate for free minutes on the news.

Your the one who said they had no chance of renting their because of their miniscule budget.

I'll put it to you this way, you go to an auction with the intention of bidding on a item that has a reserve of 10k.

Your max budget is 5k, it sells for 23k.

Did you effect the price?

• Advertisement
Advertisement