Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

How can they send him on a plane when they still don't know his true identity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Well I think they are sure he is from Zimbabwe at the very least, could just send him back.

You do raise a valid point though that even now they haven’t the slightest clue who he is and can only go on what he says. He can literally make up whatever he wants and we have to just accept it.

Can nobody advocating for the continuation of this approach not foresee the potential consequences of allowing this to go on? It’s mind boggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unfortunately we are dealing with people (in Government, NGOs, media and online) for whom ideology is more important than uncomfortable realities.

That's why anything that threatens this worldview is dismissed as "far-right" (always a laughable claim in a country like Ireland), "racist" (by people who clearly don't understand the term), "xenophobic" (likewise), etc etc.

Always shows the weakness of their position though when this is the best they can offer to support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

He should be immediately deported but only AFTER he serves his full sentence in an Irish jail as I have no idea if prison transfer with Zimbabwe is possible.

He better not be allowed to darken the door again. Biometric data needs to be taken and him coming anywhere near Ireland ought to have the system raising red flags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well in this example, the individual forged documents. He got caught, presumably when the HSE tried to verify his references/qualifications

That's very different from some fellah just walking up to a child psychology practise and saying 'Trust me, I'm qualified'. It seems he provided evidence of his qualifications, it's just that they were forgeries.

Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for all service providers, especially those who work with vulnerable groups, that qualifications need to be verified as part of the screening process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Like the radiographer that was previously hired in a children's hospital despite not having qualifications, .

In this case the individual was already flagged and yet still managed to get hired as a child psychologist, he's even known to have faked his college graduation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Awful management that would immediately fail any ISO audit, regardless of what the background the applicant is coming from

People are lazy and take shortcuts when they don't think they'll get held accountable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

I've had to delete some posts that were corresponding with a thread banned user, just in case ye are wondering why posts were deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fairly unbelievable that . I know so many people who have lived most of or all their lives and are still put through the rigours of vetting and reference checks for every job in healthcare .

Something bizarre with this ...

Ahh I see now, he was not employed by the HSE but a private healthcare firm in Sligo, and the discovery about false documentation was made when he applied for a psychology job in the HSE ...thankfully our system found him out there ..that's why it's in place .

Couldn't see the facts of it on the rubbish news sites but this link explains it pretty well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

An.. act that can prevent those served with a deportation from returning. More incentive to not follow through so yes it’s too late; all very well giving the appearance of changing tack when the great inevitable comes all too apparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Only under McEntee could it be considered news that people who are deported must now actually be deported.

The bit that caught my attention was that children born in Ireland to non-national parents can now get citizenship in 3 years as opposed to 5. A step back towards the anchor baby days of the early 00s perhaps.

I welcome this but I'm not sure how much a difference it could make as the deportee could just come back on the next flight with no documentation and claim to be fleeing persecution from somewhere.

I don't welcome the move to make it shorter to to get citizenship. We voted overwhelmingly to put a stop to anchor baby's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Should have been done 30 years ago ffs.

This country is a clownshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Only a distraction to pretend to be doing something as they know she's a liability for the next election.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭suvigirl

No, that's the point of it, once deported you cannot return

They need to get those declined biometric data so that they don't get past immigration ever again.

Once they are deported, they stay bleeding deported.

However is this being announced simultaneously to hide another betrayal?

It's absolutely outrageous that they are cutting the time for kids to get Irish citizenship. They could wait three years waiting for an asylum claim and boom little Ibrahim has been in Ireland long enough to claim citizenship.

They are throwing citizenship around like confetti.

It's another kick in the teeth and betrayed of the Irish people.

But no mention of actually Deporting people,

And nobody actually looking for failed asylum seekers, foreign criminals who have been served with deportation orders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Is it a betrayal of the irish people.

If these are the actions of the ruling parties and time after time they are they chosen as government by the people. Is that really a betrayal?

Well the issue of anchor babies was very decisively settled in that referendum in the mid 2000s. I also don't remember hearing about manifesto commitments to shorten time waiting times to dole out citizenship for the kids of foreigners.

• Advertisement

Decisively settled, says who?

Was divorce decisively settled after it's first referendum?

What about abortion was that decisively settled first time round.

There are no sacrosanct sections of the constitution all can be removed or amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Were desperate to leave Nigeria so stowed away on ships rudder but Nigeria wasn’t as bad as Brazil for two of them and they asked to go home

“The four men said they had hoped to reach Europe and were shocked to learn they had in fact landed on the other side of the Atlantic, in Brazil.

Two of the men have since been returned to Nigeria upon their request, while Mr Yeye and Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Bayelsa state, have applied for asylum in Brazil.”

I wonder if the 2 that went back will one day claim asylum somewhere in Europe 🤔

You didn't read my post? What is to stop someone that's been deported to come back again with no documentation, a fake name, age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭suvigirl

When applying for asylum your photograph and fingerprints are taken. There is a European database that can be checked. They can come back with all the false documentation they want, fingerprints don't lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Asylum seekers have to go through a very rigorous procedure. You can't just show up at an airport and say 'Hi, I'm Joe Bloggs and I've just fled war in Sudan....I hereby claim asylum'. Gardai and Immigration have access to vast databases and are regularly in touch with Interpol, Europol and Homeland Security in the US. Every single person leaves behind an extensive data trail which can be checked : what flights you took to get to Ireland, where you were a month ago or a year ago, what international agencies have you previously interacted with etc etc.

Like the chap from Zimbabwe recently who murdered 3 people..

There was another case involving a rapist from Romania who was deported a few years ago,but several weeks after being deported he arrived back in Dublin and was found running a business

Or the case recently involving a Pakistani national from the UK who came here and raped one woman and tried to rape another despite having convictions for rape in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I published a table here a couple of days ago showing that literally thousands of asylum claims are rejected every year. These would include people who showed up with no ID at all or with false documents or with previous criminal records.

People who somehow cheat the system are something of a separate discussion and probably are a much smaller minority (as we know that the numbers of asylum seekers who carry out serious crimes like the ones you mention are very small).

And yet we all know regardless of what's posted bogus asylum seekers, illegal migrant, criminals, all come here and they all stay and don't get deported,no matter what graphics is posted the numbers are higher and no-one ever actually get deported despite all of these data bases in the world the Gardai have access too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Therein lies the crux of it. A failed system that has not only functionally failed but now being exploited to the max by bogus economic migrants and was actively promoted by the minister in charge .

It has been expanded by a failed government on the behest of NGOs working out of that department and gombeens who are milking it for every last penny while public services that are supposed to prop this all up and our society at large are crumbling.

• Advertisement

Hopefully biometric data taken during the asylum application would flag any previously failed applicants.

Advertisement