Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yep. A good few people at those protests are serious criminals and would never pass Garda vetting in a job.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You really shouldn't discuss other posters like that....if you have something to say about anyone you should always say it to them.

How do you suggest dealing with asylum seekers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Our groceries and energy costs are unrelated to refugees.

In fairness I agree with a lot of your post there ( first paragraph, not) otherwise. The war has put more pressure on, than anyone expected.

As another poster @riddles said above the recent down turn and loss of jobs in fdi /tech is worrying as well.

Be more than housing and services impacted if that continues.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yep, casting doubts on poster's opinions by questioning their bona fides.. Way to get rid of an opposing argument when all else fails 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Dont take in those from countries not at war .

It's like some posters have selective understanding issues. People claim asylum for many different reasons, nothing to do with war. In fact, most people fleeing war will be given refugee status anyway.

Considering that people have the right to claim asylum, by law, how would you deal with them?

Many of them do get negative decisions, so you wouldn't do anything different then the authorities do now. You should be happy with the current policies

80% usually get to stay . Stop the appeals quick decisions .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But what happens when they get denied absolutely nothing for the majority and no they don't just leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

Don't take anybody at all. The whole " legal and moral obligation" is pure codswallop. A bunch of BS and the Muppets hope if they say it enough times it becomes the truth.

If you absolutely HAVE to take people then take them directly from refugee camps. This opening the door to those rich and audacious enough to show up surely can not even be a good result even for the left.

My personal preference is a shut door and zero refugee policy. That's the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Make them Pay for any legal bills and bills on housing them once they get denied ,

Asylum has long been lost and confused with economic migrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

So there is a limit.

At what number would you place the limit Robbie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Sand

They'll never pay. They arrive here because we pay them. You need to cut off the problem at the source - don't allow them to enter. Attack the microfinance networks which advance the funds to migrants to pay smugglers on the promise that the "refugees" will pay back the microfinance loans at high interest by collecting money from the host states.

Of course, this is the left hand collecting money from the right hand. The NGO's in the host society (i.e. Ireland) are working hand over fist to pay back the investment of the microfinance funding the mass migration by defeating any attempt to criticise mass migration (see the anti-hate speech laws) while also inventing more and new schemes to financially address the challenges of mass migration. Only the Irish people lose out - the right hand is taking the money to payback the microfinance firms out of your pocket.

The current policies do not work and encourage more to come . Quick decisions no appeals Denmark has stricter policies and this does not seem to create problems for the EU . . Those that come here with no documents should be sent back pronto ,stop all benefits when they get a negative decision . Take refugees at source .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Why don't you offer your opinion before asking others. You are the poster determined to define the number limited and going on and on about unlimited.

So what's your figure?

Seeing as this is the topic you want to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Marcos

I agree with the first sentence about the lack of a viable alternative. But at present the next election is the local government elections. Councillors are effectively powerless at the moment so it doesn't matter who gets voted in. But the establishment parties will definitely notice a drop in their vote if people don't vote for them, especially if candidates who are calling for controlled immigration take their place. They won't want this to happen in a general election and if it's clear that their current policies are unpopular then they will change their stance. This is a way of exerting political pressure, which to my mind is the next logical step, and one the establishment will pay more attention to.

On your second part, while I won't be voting for SF, I don't think that they will spook the multinational horses as easily as you think. The likes of Mary Lou, Pierce Doherty, Eoin O'Broin etc have been around long enough and and you can be sure they have been meeting investors and CEOs in trips abroad like the annual White House trip on Paddys Day etc and telling them quietly that it'll be more of the same economically despite whatever they want to say to voters. Or then again maybe not, any way they mightn't get in, even though they are the largest opposition party at the moment. That's just my view and I won't be going into it further because it could easily take this thread off topic. Not that anyone would ever want to do that! /s.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I’d be happy to see us opt out alá Denmark at this point. We’ve already done more than our fair share.

Now, what’s your limit so Robbie?

• Advertisement

Really delighted to read this happy outcome for the locals. There has been huge local uproar since this was announced and I'm glad the local squeaky wheel got the oil or kept their oil in the end up! Remember people, do not accept local people getting displaced, it's wrong! Make noise!

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2023/08/04/department-not-to-issue-contract-to-house-refugees-at-sligo-apartment-complexes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One minor point : students staying in student accommodation in Sligo are clearly not "locals". They must surely be from other parts of the country if they are spending €5k to €10k a year just on accommodation.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But the establishment parties will definitely notice a drop in their vote if people don't vote for them, especially if candidates who are calling for controlled immigration take their place. 

But is there any indication that the highlighted bit is actually going to happen? Are such candidates actually running in any significant numbers? This guy sets out the extreme diffiiculty local council candidates coming from nowhere face in getting elected on a 'controlled immigration' ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Councillors might not have any power over who enters Ireland, but they can stop the government sticking them in their area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nobody can deny for a moment that refugees, immigration and other right talking points are gaining traction in Ireland, especially on social media. But a big problem for the anti-immigration parties is that we have no real history of out and out right wing politics in Ireland. Yes, FF under Dev were a right wing party, but that was a totally weird brand of right wing Catholic fundamentalism, concentrated on morality and sexuality.

Another problem for these parties is that there are currently 1.5m Irish people living abroad. That is a massive chunk of the population and is unusual in European terms. Again, this makes things difficult for the anti-immigration guys, when we have exported so many people ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

Also, what percentage of adults living in ireland cant vote because they arent irish citizens. I imagine in ireland that percentage is relativley high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

What ever about war. How bout getting these countries sort their shite and stop sending people our way. Make them more appealing to live in.

There is some paranoia on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see a story about the modular homes. A family in Sligo talking about it and how happy they are. They have an income of €970 a month( social welfare) and pay 16% of this on rent .

We are a very generous country indeed.

I had to laugh today. Local St Vincent de Paul was selling off all toys etc for €1. And a local Ukrainian was robbing them. The mother had to go after her to get them back.

Advertisement