Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hotels and other hospitality have been virtually wiped

Where did you read that absolute nonsense?

Irish hospitality is experiencing a chronic staff shortage.

What we’re seeing is that a client could receive 200 applications from a jobs board posting but, as with one client, 189 out of those 200 applicants came from outside the EU and had no chance of getting a visa, even if the skills that they had listed were a perfect match

But but but but.....they offer nothing!!!

Who cares about the U.S; we're talking about Ireland here. Very different country and situation.

Are you suggesting we just let anybody who comes here illegally... stay? That would be advocating for open borders.

Apart from potentially opening us to all sorts of criminals fleeing their own countries, and the fact that there is nowhere to accommodate them, the entire social welfare system would eventually collapse.

There's no reason any sane person would want such policy. Cultural and economic suicide. Borders are in place for a reason, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Didn't ask you about the USA's preclearance program Overheal, What would happen in the situation I outlined? What would happen Overheal? Lets say I did lose my passport down the jacks over the Atlantic at 40,000 ft, I land in O'Hare and try to get in? What would the US authorities do with me?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

One thing I agree with you on we should have preclearance program similar to the States and Nobody should be allowed turn up an immigration in Dublin Airport or any Airport in this country without documentation and if they do they a shipped off to a holding centre and then put back on the next flight to where they came from and can explain back at that destination how they have no documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

• Advertisement

Oh they'd ask you if they could get you something to eat and drink and then ship you off to a hotel were you would be housed at the US expense while waiting for your application to be processed sometime in the near distant future or they'd have you in handcuffs or zip ties and you would be marched off to some holding centre and then put back on the next plane back to where you came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That must be fake news. The man on the street commentary was that these people had no transferable skills.

I told you, we have a stellar pre clearance program, you wouldn’t fool US Customs destroying papers in flight.

You don’t like my answer but that’s not my problem. Irelands problem is inadequate pre clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

What's is ironic is you stating hospitality has been virtually wiped out so there is no jobs, in reality what hospitality are saying is it will be wiped out if we can't get 10s of 1000s of workers to fill the jobs.

The actually mirror opposite of your claim. 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement

Grand so we’ve established stereotyping them as people unable to work is cuckoobananas and not grounded in reality. 🤗

So it's acceptable for the Irish people to be "fooled" is it? Good to know you realise it's a problem. We won't be fooled for much longer.

Where did I say it was acceptable? I’ve been a proponent in this thread of Ireland getting preclearance as I said so in the posts above

Some lads are just desperate to put words where they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

The ESB building in East Wall being used to house the "refugees" does not have a Fire Certificate.

Councllor Nial Ring (Ind ex FF) has just been informed of this by Dublin City Council.

You've said its acceptable and the Irish peoples duty to house and look after illegal migrants who, for the vast majority, have arrived here without documentation and passports. You've said the American authorities won't be "fooled" by such illegal activity. But you deem it the Irish peoples responsibility to condone these illegal acts and put up with it. Then you try to wrangle in this argument that the Irish authorities should have "preclearance" outposts in other EU member states Airports such as Germany where these illegals are coming from. The wartorn hellhole of Germany.

So go away from me with your destabilising Yank horse$hit. Horse$hit ye wouldn't put up with for two seconds, and you've every right not to put up with it. But you, for some bizarre reason, don't like it when the Irish citizen refuses to put up with "being fooled" any longer. Why should the Irish people put up with what your homeland won't?

Yeah America have no asylum seekers, none what so ever.

Nearly 1.6 million asylum applications are pending in US immigration courts and at US Citizenship and Immigration Services – the largest number of pending asylum cases on record, 

If they even try they are shipped out immediately.

The overall average wait time for an asylum hearing is about 4.3 years, but in Omaha, Nebraska – the court with the longest delay – the wait time averages 5.9 years

Illegal free too.

Yip, it's just unique to Ireland, no other country.

Vote Irexit! 👍️

You've said it’s acceptable and the Irish peoples duty to house and look after illegal migrants who, for the vast majority, have arrived here without documentation and passports.

prove it. I don’t recall stating this. I’ve not said a single word about duties. You or the people who thanked your post can prove this? I also don’t know why you put “being fooled” in air quotes as that’s not something I ever said either.

Well state your position now then? Do you want or expect the Irish people to be responsible for the ultimate well-being of Illegal migrants who ILLEGALLY arrive onto their sovereign state?

Because you sure as $hit don't like it when the sovereign Irish citizens of their Irish Republic have a problem with this illegal activity, so state your real position then.

You said your American authorities won't be "fooled" by illegal migrant activity. So you did say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

"Ireland shutting down ‘golden visa’ investment-for-residence scheme amid concerns about unvetted applicants"

Irish Indo 15 Feb 2023 headline.

Irish gov seem very concerned about unvetted applicants all of a sudden. Someone should tell these chinese millionaires, to just fly to Dublin with no travel documentation, and hey presto, they're in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Can asylum seekers legally be paid to clean pots in a kitchen within the first 6 months of arriving in ireland?

A simple yes or no will do thanks.

And what if they don’t want to? And are they incentivised to get a job that’s likely low paying or are they better off not working?

Would an asylum seeker being employed effect the outcome of the application? What happens when an asylum seeker in employment have their application rejected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Your passport doesn't get checked when you land in America once you've passed preclearence here, so you'd waltz right out the door.

Yes it does in every occasion I’ve gone to the US.

edit: No you don’t

Then you haven't gone in a decade, Ireland to USA flights land at a domestic terminal and you walk straight out the front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The swimmers (2022) is about two Syrian girls that decided to leave Syria with a cousin to travel the Germany to claim asylum as unaccompanied minors with the intent of their family following them. It’s interesting to see this as it actually highlights the problem, they arrive in Turkey but rather than claim asylum they pay a peoples smuggler to cross the Mediterranean in a dinghy. Most of the migrants they meet have similar ideas and dubious claims for asylum, including one woman with an infant travelling from Africa to the UK because her husband beat her.

It’s pretty clear that most people claiming asylum here are economic migrants, this problem has been an issue for many countries for years. The situation in Ukraine just highlights this. Now you have a genuine crisis but the system has been already stretched by people bypassing the immigration process.

I do remember passport control in JFK about ten years ago but not recently. I checked and you’re right.

“If you have a direct flight to the US from Dublin and have gone through US Preclearance in Dublin you will not have to go through customs when you land in the US.”

The point still stands. You need you passport to get into the US. The difference you wouldn’t even get on the plane unless you were cleared. So losing your passport on route is pointless

So someone could hypothetically fly into JFK, lose their passport, head up to ditmars boulevard in queens, buy a fake ID, use that to get a cash in hand job, maybe even head to Connecticut or Massachusetts to get a driver's license which would get you through TSA checks and you'd be free to set up a bank account with.... Undocumented and unvetted......

I hope people would have the same level of disgust they do for the made up Boogeyman sleeping on the floor of a box factory.....

And what will happen if I have no documentation/passport when I enter preclearance?

• Advertisement

Has there been any evidence that these lads are getting through border control without documentation? Or are they dumping it once they're on the plane? Seems like something that needs to be addressed at the airports.

Plenty of evidence this is occurring

So here we have the double standard, posters up in here are using the USA as an example of how we should deal with illegals, but then conveniently ignore what actually happens at USA airport border control when they deal with the same issue that the Irish people are told to ignore

As I have said, lets see how long I last trying to enter the USA airport border control without a passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

And all that by an unvetted military aged man who might be a rapist...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

“I would be surprised if all of those travel documents are left on-board Ryanair flights or flushed down toilets on aircraft,” he said. “I don’t believe that happens. I think they are retained.

He seems to think they are getting through border control on legitimate documentation, so they've gotten exactly as far as you'd get going through US border patrol. Past border control. In fact you'd get further in the USA cause you'd get out of the airport.

Nah, sure it's a good natured fiddle when we do it.

You don't have the same preclearance infrastructure where these inbound flights are coming from though. There is no Irish preclearance in Frankfurt airport or Schiphol. Your passport must be provided when you enter this state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh yeah treat certain people as lesser based on skin colour, religion and nationality and claim its not far right 😐

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

This makes no sense. I don't think you have your finger on the pulse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I too get irrationally angry at things that I've wrongly inferred.

Georgia and Albania (2 of the frequently mentioned countries here) both require visas to come to Ireland, if nobody at the outgoing airports is checking the validity of said visas or letting people on with fake documentation, then the Ire should be directed at the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If I got off a foreign inbound flight in the United States and informed the authorities I had lost all my identifying documents on the way what would happen to me?

• Advertisement

They'd return you to the country you just arrived from. If you refuse to tell them which flight you came in on, they'd check airport cctv and they'd figure it out within 10 minutes.

If you claim refugee status, you,d go straight to a holding centre and be processed very quickly if you can't prove you are a genuine refugee.

Nearly all current 'refugee' applicants in the US crossed the Mexican border by foot, which we know is hard to control and manage eg. Look at foot crossings into Europe. Airport arrival is very different as the authorities are in full control, and passports & visas are checked at each departing country by the airlines.

I'd say they'd be questioning how did you even get on the flight without having a passport?

I have flown aerlingus, virgin and BA to the states over the years since 9/11. Each airlines can see if we have vaild and approved ESTA's when they scan our passports at check-in. There must be a link to the US border control system.How do I know this ? I have a US visa, the rest of my family needs ESTA's. When we checkin, they always ask me if I have a visa as thry have told me in the past that they cant see an ESTA on the system for me. Also, if we do an online check in, they system always tells me I cannot checkin online, that I must checkin at a desk. The rest can checkin online, as they system can confirm their ESTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would that be like these illegals who hate Europeans, lgbt people and have backwards views towards women.

But you are falling over yourself to import these people into Ireland.

You never seem to be able to answer why you hate irish far right people but cheer on foreignenrs with right wing views.

In general you dont seem to engage in any discussion, just general comments nobody says, ignore replies and come back the next day to do the same.

Can you answer why you want to import people with right wing views into Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Who has ever said the hosuing crisis lack of accommodation is down to refugees or asylum ssekers ?

Who?

What any sane person is saying is it hasn't helped but made things worse.

Now if you can't see that then you need to seriously have a think about how supply and demand works.

Nah he is trying to play both sides.

He wants to maintain his right on image so he doesn't get negative media coverage to make sure he gets that next cushy gig in New York or Brussels.

And he must be feeling heat from his own party who as sure as hell have backbenchers getting worried about their patches.

For instance I would bet the likes of Michael Ring is looking at Breaffy and wondering how the fook he could get any votes there.

Alright it isn't his patch, but he would expect 2nd or 3rd preferences at least.

He would definitely be worried about trourism in his domain of Westport and what hits that would take this year.

The likes of Ringer is not some globalist, but a pragmatist who knows the public mood and they will not want the charade to continue.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I wonder if Michael Ring will be even running next time. Big exodus in both FF and FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And if you presented yourself to US immigration would they bus you to a hotel or office block and tell you have free reign of the states?

The pro lunacy side have a playbook going here.

First it was they come from a hell hole war zone so we have to save them.

Then when we say they are coming from African, Middle Eastern, Asian and non EU European states not at war we are still being told they are afraid and have to leave so we must help them.

Then when we say how come it is only young men, we are told it is too dangerous for the women to travel - obviously it is ok to leave them in the hell war zones.

Oh and we are all incels. Whatever the fook that is meant to convey. 🙄

Then when asked why they have no documents even though they arrive on flights we are told it is because they are afraid they will be deported back to the hell hole war zone.

Then we now have how the US has illegals and they work so why shouldn't we allow it, even though they refuse to differentiate between illegals arriving over land and those that fly into US.

Then when there are no answers to these points they resort to

• how the Irish emigrated and still do.
    • how we need immigrants to do work and they have helped build our global economy
    • and we need doctors, nurses and engineers
    • oh and we have a pension timebomb coming (I could counter we may have more old school bombs in the future)

Of course you could probably count on one hand those demanding a stop to the current lunacy who have also said they want to stop legal immigrants who fill required skills deficits.

We simply want to stop the illegal immigrants, the vast majority of which are uneducated unskilled immigrants who are going to be drain on states services that are already in short supply.

And some of us want to stop refugees because we simply cannot cope with the numbers of legitimate refugees already here.

Have to add here some bright spark will come back and claim they are "not illegal" since they are "seeking protection" or claiming "asylum".

FFS to the vast majority of people legal means you have a right to enter and go about your business be it you are a citizen, an EU citizen or have legal VISA or given special dispensation as Ukrainian.

Illegal means you are none of the above.

Then when someone states we want to close down refugee/asylum seeker/those seeking protection they jump on this to mean we would allow no immigrants and allow nobody in from even EU.

FFS it actually looks like the ones for this effectively open borders mullarkey have absolutely no common sense or are the most disingenuous crowd of shysters we have ever had the misfortune to have living in our country.

I am not allowed discuss …

There's a Muslim guy who's part of a group I play sport with sometimes. He's alright, for the most part, but he's strongly against what's represented in your profile pic, and has no problem saying it. It's a sin in his religion, and illegal back in his country.

Would you consider him "far-right"? Do you welcome people like him to Ireland?

There's many more like him, btw. You're not going to change their belief system.

And if you presented yourself to US immigration would they bus you to a hotel or office block and tell you have free reign of the states?

They bus you to accommodation in one of the most picturesque places on earth.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

jmayo threadbanned

• Advertisement
Advertisement