Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Aontu all the way. I like Peadar Tobin, met him a few times when I worked in Navan years ago. He is honest, straight and puts Irish people first. Aontu is gaining popularity and support each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

trying to shut down debate with that last part. typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fair enough - I was listening to The Late Debate on RTE last night and they speculated that Aontu might indeed be the party that benefits from the 'anti-immigration' vote (if it can be called that) at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭bloopy

A lovely simple rallying cry for simple people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ah everyone is fleeing persecution these days. My woman was persecuting me about the unwashed dishes earlier. Thought I might pack me bags and take flight. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭scottser

Who says they have nothing to pay for? Are you honestly suggesting that a Ukrainian immigrant doesn't need to pay for clothing, travel, communication, prescriptions, personal care and a host of other sundries, especially if they have kids?

Or would you rather that money was held in bullion in Justin Barrett's safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The problem is that our border patrol format is public knowledge? Would you prefer it to be a big secret?

Yep born and bred in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes that's totally relatable to somebody fleeing a government trying to kill them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Medical card includes prescriptions, there was a deal with a phone provider not sure if it's still there, travel is free, leap cards are given free, kids get children's allowance. , there are still charity shops providing free clothing on production of a passport. Luxury cars driven over here still not subject to vrt, tax or insurance.

Disposable income is still massive as there is no rental, no utility, no food, no health fees.

I know of situations where Ukrainians are staying in a hotel and refusing even part time work offers within that hotel. Meanwhile, workers in that hotel are struggling financially to pay rent and survive, Surely people can see there's something unjust about the whole thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

"Border patrol "?.

I doubt you're last sentence very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

What countries does Ireland have direct connection flights to, that upon returning there, guarantees you a death sentence?

I can think of only one. The USA.

And feck me, if somebody off death row rocks up in Shannon or Dublin, they should be sent straight back. You don't get a death sentence in the USA for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This poll tracker has Aontu chugging along at circa 2% since the last election, with no surge that I can see in response to the current immigration furore

That sort of rating gives them zero chance of more than 1 seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The local elections are what you keep your eye on

see what happens there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭scottser

Fair point. Surely all those things can be rectified by reducing their rate to subsidise the services they receive, same as anybody else who gets means tested. Its an easy structural fix, no need for a hysterical zero immigration response. From a simple humanitarian standpoint though, it's no reason to refuse people fleeing war and persecution. This is simply what standing up for human dignity looks like; making some room at the table and sharing from your plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Keep your eye on who though, what are you expecting to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There are supposed to return once it’s deemed it’s safe to return… from the government site…

What Temporary Protection means for you

Temporary Protection provides you with a wide range of supports, including:

• permission to reside in Ireland for a period of 1 year, and the permission may be extended for further periods after that
    • full access to the labour market
    • access to accommodation, if needed
    • social welfare income supports
    • access to education
    • access to medical care

my own guess is an amnesty will be offered to anyone in the country from a conflict at the time it’s deemed safe to return and that they’ll be offered citizenship…..problem there also is the people here or most of them will try and get any family actively involved in the military or provision of essential services now in the , over here too then. So I doubt very much if X gets taken out and his regime destroyed and everything normalised at home that that would trigger a mass full time exodus of people saying “thanks so much Ireland, appreciate it but so long”…. They just have quality of life, safety and security x10000000 compared to in their homeland …..plus those fighting and working there will want to join them…. Lots of people with physical injuries, psychological damage etc… wishing to rely on our already massively overburdened healthcare system… they’ll be entitled to it. 😏

I’d say a lot more than 60% of ‘temporary protection’ recipients will be and already are eyeing a permanent stay. And whatever numbers to try join them… so you’ll see no great change in numbers, maybe a small net decrease…. But a tangible increase in ex service people, injured, psychologically impacted etc….

its complete political and social skullduggery…. Haughey, Lowry and P. Flynn ? Are basically fûcking alterboys compared to this carry on from Leo and co.

On the same programme, they were making the point that Ireland tends to be a complete outlier - votes that would go to 'right wing populists' in other European countries tend to go to independents here (perhaps because of the historical absence of any right wing populist parties in the Dáil).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The EU will decide in December whether to open accession talks with Ukraine. It’s likely that the answer will be yes. Meaning that Ukraine citizens will have freedom of movement within the EU in the foreseeable future anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I don't think there's any decent human that would dispute or have objections to anyone fleeing to here under the circumstances when Ukrainians initially came here. I'm sure you remember, there was an outpouring of empathy for their situation.

Unfortunately, things started going sour when money was a factor and both providers of services who had to gain from their situation rubbed their hands in glee, and recipients of such generosity realised they were on a good thing and the floodgates opened.

The unfairness of it all became apparent after a few months. Examples such as modular housing was discussed for Ukrainians, when years of homeless Irish were ignored. Suddenly we want to house strangers and give them supports while people here have been crying out for shelter with a long time. We continue to build modular housing, and happily ignore homeless families living in hotels.

Putting aside the ridiculous pocket money Ukrainians are getting, we are now being told that our government are considering leaving then off home to Ukraine for Christmas. It's hilarious to think that,not alone have they a disposable income most of us would love, but now we'll give a double children's allowance, and double social welfare week, just on time for them to catch a flight home for a bit. Home to the wartorn bounty they fled from. Thing is, there hasn't been a peace deal, there isn't an amnesty allowing folk back home as a ceasefire has-been called by Russia...it's still the same place they fled from ..

Meanwhile, we've lower paid workers, some not from this country, who are paying their way throug high rents and high food costs, but they can't afford to go home for Christmas. Instead they will serve those in hotels that are gaining financially from this, and see them go home for a holiday, while they service their rooms and await their arrival back in the new year.

It's awfully wrong and unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Airy Fairy's post sums up a lot of how this whole thing stinks, and ordinary Irish citizens are talking about it. They may not protest outside the Dail, organise rallies or use megaphones but the disquiet is starting to become everyday conversation. This will not end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

What would really be the point of protests. Alot of the ministers in Government are making a fortune from this so called crisis. And you can be sure Alot of their big developer and multi property owners are all on the gravy train too.

I can't see any changes in this country until we have a party for Irish citizens and are not in it for themselves and are not willing to push a narrative for the EU and not for the good of this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

Agree 100%.

I would add that AS not allowed into society pending their application.

Also not so sure about the aircraft. They are flooding in to ireland from all over Africa and othe far off destinations.

Maybe return them to the country they used prior to entering ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Be subject to the same rules as other EU citizens .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Did I just hear Eoin O'Broin on Radio1 saying we will have 200k Ukrainians by October 2024?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

He must be a another landlord politician on the gravy train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Fleeing prosecution? Or persecution?

You must have travel documents to board an aircraft.

Therefore, somebody with no travel documents in an Irish airport has deliberately discarded the documents on the aircraft.

Therefore, they are an illegal immigrant, and should be immediately deported.

By that I mean within 24 hrs.

If they are genuinely fleeing persecution, then they would not discard their travel documents on board the aircraft.

If Ireland was to deport genuine refugees fleeing an actual war or disaster zone without even hearing their asylum application, that would be in clear breach of every international refugee law going. Refugee law doesn't even mention passports or travel documentation or the need to be in possession of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Why do people deliberately discard their travel documents on aircraft?

Advertisement