Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But nearly every town in the country has issues with local government and national government over a whole myriad of different problems (funding, provision of services, infrastructure, facilities, transport, healthcare, housing, compensation for flood damage, anti-social behaviour etc). Not sure why the situation re. tourism and refugees in Killarney would remotely be of interest to anyone outside the area....it's between them and the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

😂I remember there were actual photos of Enda Kenny getting patted on the head in Europe. We really do elect pathetic morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Enda was a giant of a statesman compared to Martin and Varadkar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's just how it is. Once the problem is shifted away from Dublin in particular, that's measured as success.

It'll only come back to bite big time at the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Sarkozy ruffles leeetle Endas hair, shur it's all a big laugh👇

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

That’s been clear as day for a while

Insufferable moralising from an out of touch millionaire with several pensions. Straining our services and accommodation supply with handouts while his partymate housing minister ensures nothing is improved.

I’ll be mentioning it to any FF canvasser that comes near me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

He’s all concerned looks and smiles to the press but has a reputation as a tyrant to the back benchers. He’ll have his ides of March soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Alot of what you mention are passive problems with the government and the lack of investment. Not actively sabotaging and destroying people's main income.

Though, looking at your post history, I'm sure you think that's all ok as long as it's for the right reasons.

Who cares if Maria and Kevin have to close the business...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I never said it was ok, just that that is why they chose Kerry to house all the refugees

Those who depend on tourism shouldn't be disadvantaged and the govt should be compensating them in the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Gamergurll

So...sacrifice the tourist industry but it's okay because we can bail them out? How is that sustainable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It isn't sustainable going forward that's the thing, but slow learners, some of em will have to wait till the whole house is falling in on top of them before they realise the whole thing was a con benifiting only the ngo industry and those getting the cheques, how many million💶💶 per month is it now I wonder🤔? ... but it's easy to figure who'll pay the price in the end and it won't be Martin, Varadkar, McEntee, O'Gorman or any of the rest of the beauts in power that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yes, instead of letting the tourism sector make money for itself, I too want my taxes to compensate the tourism industry for having to accommodate those I'm already paying for

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Photobox

That's what really irritates me about the main politicians nowadays. This moralistic & pontificating stance , like the great unwashed needs to be told how to think, 'right' think as opposed to 'wrong' think'. It seems to be endemic nowadays across media too. There is no escape from it.

We bailed the banks out without thinking twice. A move which eventually resulted in 40% of them leaving the country.

Bailing out the tourism industry for a year or 2 would cost a fraction of that and the pubs and restaurants would be much less likely to go anywhere as a result

That's the spirit. The alternative is kicking the refugees out which is a complete nonsense argument as we can see from this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The absolute disregard you have for how tax is spent is astounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It’s just being first up to communion on Sunday ( ala 1955) for this generations virtue signallers

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Photobox

100%. I meant to add, doesn't this sound very familiar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If there is any 'plan', and with our Dail lot that's a big if, IMHO Ukrainians staying is part of it. With all the talk of demographics and low replacement levels to sustain our economy(though Ireland is one of the better nations in the EU on that score), one might suggest a 100k import of pale Europeans has been somewhat of an unexpected boon(sorry Herr Putin). As the 'multicultural' experience of other nations consistently demonstrates they're more likely to 'fit in' over time, less likely to ghettoise, or radicalise, or any of the other usual extra social issues again consistently found with the 'multicultural' experiment. EG we have a Black History month, yet our Polish population is significantly larger and they don't get a damp Tuesday in November. Why? In essence the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Poles are essentially 'invisible', just like the many thousands of French, Spanish, British etc. Ukrainians will be the same.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There is an overall flaw when you import people to “pay our pensions” in that if they want to stay then it opens the door to family reunification and bringing their parents over too which would mean an increase in the number of potential pension recipients and more stress on health services and retirement homes.

The worse outcome is importing people who won’t integrate, won’t work and have an underlying or even open hatred of the West in general. This is madness and completely incomparable to Irish emigration where whole families left and got nothing handed to them for free in America. Anyone with eyes can see it’s boat loads of young men in boats crossing the Mediterranean and bus loads of young men being sneaked in undercover of darkness without any community approval or notification from countries where women have no rights but ‘sur twill be grand’ what happened in every other EU country won’t happen here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

From Jan-Sep 22,000 people came here seeking asylum. The numbers are not reducing.

77% applied for asylum at the IP office in Dublin. So Dublin airport appears to be so so easy to enter the country, no wonder numbers are going up.

1,144 deportation orders were signed this year. 36 were enforced. 45 left voluntary.

We are a soft touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Have you a source for those numbers?

Not questioning their veracity but would like a read myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Those 1144 people are now completely outside the system though. They don't have a PPS number, cannot claim benefits or social welfare, don't have a medical card, cannot work or pay taxes, are not entitled to any state accommodation etc. Can they be a 'burden' to the country if they are not part of the system?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussion from Radio Kerry yesterday morning on the allocation of 70 IP applicants to a B&B in Killarney despite Kerry County Council saying that the county simply has no more capacity for additional arrivals

https://www.radiokerry.ie/podcasts/kerry-today/kerry-county-council-asks-dept-to-reconsider-plans-to-bring-80-international-applicants-to-killarney-november-2nd-2023-354479

Kerry now has 8,900 Ukrainians and over 800 IP applicants in the county

Roderic O’Gorman still has no room in his diary to speak to Radio Kerry about this issue.

Patience with the complete lack of communication from the Dept as outlined in the podcast was starting to wear thin by the end of last years winter season. It is not forthcoming this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Marcos

Tell that to the governments of Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland and even Sweden who just yesterday agreed to co-operate on returrning immigrants without legal residence to their countries of origin.

The Danes took a stronger stance on immigration as they saw the effects of mass immigration on Sweden and decided not to make those same mistakes while Sweden wanted to become a "moral superpower" and derided anyone that had concerns about mass immigration in such a short period of time. But now the worm has turned.

"However, the Danish model has become more popular as anti-immigration voices have gained traction across the Nordic region.

The Swedish government is looking towards Danish immigration policies as the country battles gang violence caused by "an irresponsible immigration policy and a failed integration," Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said last month.

"The Swedish government is truly looking at how the Danish government has worked with both fighting organised crime but also on migration issues," Sweden's Minister of Migration, Maria Malmer Stenergard said at the press conference."

Sweden, Denmark for slow learners.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Well it seems that the Ukrainians are being used almost as a battering ram to force these centres on many towns and villages, after about 6 - 12 months they are moved on and the centres are suddenly populated with IPAS migrants and the Ukrainians are moved on to force through new centres elsewhere.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,736 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From citizens information site…

”person granted refugee status can apply for citizenship through naturalisation once they have 3 years of residency. Residency is calculated from the date of arrival in the State. Note: This does not apply to people who have subsidiary protection status”…

“subsidiary protection should serve as an additional form of international protection that is complementary to refugee status.”

all that is very telling…

my guess is that over 70% of people that arrived here because of this war or any conflict to receive international protection will in fact want to remain here indefinitely…. Also it stands to reason that tens of thousands of their friends and family members involved directly someway in conflict be it military, medical, logistics personnel will want to arrive here too, make a new home, be with their families and get out of dodge so to speak. All post war, whenever that will be.

so a change in numbers might be pretty negligible, in fact post war there could actually be a status quo in numbers or even a small net increase and the government of the day will struggle to say no… it will be a gift of an amnesty and citizenship for those wishing to stay and relatives still abroad fighting or assisting will be accepted too, there would be no temporary protection as they won’t need protection from anything so they would have to be classed as refugees coming from outside the EU…. I’m very serious when I’d say I’d put a grand of my own money on it playing out like that or a similar version….

Varadkar & Martin and the rest of the political cohort know exactly what’s in the pipeline and for months and months, their interactions with media and citizens has been increasingly and deliberately difficult, stuttering, vague, soft and contradictory….appalling behaviour, from individuals in their positions and with their responsibilities... Granted they’ll be under pressure from EU overlords and masters and others internationally but they have to put the wellbeing of Ireland and Irish citizens first and that’s all that there is to it… that is their responsibility, that is what they were voted in for….. not a single Irish citizen went to a voting booth….” Jeez I’ll vote for them, they really have their finger on the pulse of International problems and war, famine or global tragedy in X “….

In Germany, all is not rosy, as the government has to try and clean up Merkel's Mess. The recent pro Palestinian protests have led to a rise in anti semitic actions like putting star of David graffiti on Jewish houses or the firebombing of a synagogue has forced politicians to take a public stance against these actions. Chancellor Olaf Scholz has promised deportations on a grand scale. While opposition leader Frederick Merz has stated that parts of Germany aren't German enough.

This also crosses the political divide, now some on the left are calling for curbs on immigration. Sarah Wagenknecht is one such politician. She has said that there should be no neighbourhoods where locals are in the minority.

"I don't think there should be neighborhoods where the locals are in the minority and there shouldn't be school classes in which more than half of the children hardly speak German.*"

I wonder what the good people of Annamoe might say to that, given that there is a reception centre slated to house 950 "new to the parish" in a village of 250 people? If only we had politicians that would actually stand up for this.

The way things are going at the moment there is going to be a sea change in immigration policy where there are going to be deportations. Where are they going to go then? Any ideas? Just catch a plane over here and lose their documentation.

It's like a bad game of pass the parcel, everyone can hear the music slowing, but of course, our politicians still want to keep playing to the last and we'll be left holding the parcel and paying the price.

*this quote is an English translation of the German article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Fantastic radio report this morning on the Pat Kenny show - Not the first time Pat and Barry Whyte did a report on this shambles. I think that's where the stats quoted above came from

Incredibly enough, our PS broadcaster, RTE, don't seem to have the wherewithal to produce such a report (which may or may not have something to do with the millions they get from the public directly and through Govt bailouts) - So Newstalk seem to have taken up the mantle of a real PSB

Radio report is embedded in the report

As I said before, Govt have lost control of our borders and this ^ shows by how much

Advertisement