Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know locally they do contribute but the locals need to show them what needs to be done and organise tools transport etc. Remember, the government just dump them at these locations and don’t give a fiddlers about their problems or impact on the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Gamergurll

Do people not have enough to be doing with their lives than organising 'entertainment' for these people.. What are they a bunch of kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

I think this restaurant owner in Killarney makes a vey good point.

People don't have to organise anything but if they don't they will have to deal with the consequences of these people having nothing to do for months on end. I have seen it working well. The government will not be helping so its down to the locals or no one.

• Advertisement

Hey, the more the merrier right?

Holy Cow Batman, Public services are screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The consequences should be for them if they cause any trouble. We don’t owe anything to these people, least of all entertainment. If you claim to be seeking protection and cause trouble then you are clearly not in fear for your life but you sure as hell should be if you cause the locals trouble as a guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Delete

Post edited by ShamNNspace on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TokTik

Why would the cost of living matter when they don’t have to pay anything towards the cost of living. No food bills, accommodation bills, electricity bills, heating bills, no medical bills, etc.

The only misleading is being done by you.

• Advertisement

The people of Cashel will have to deal with reality. These people are being dumped in their town with minimal supports. They should be thankful the numbers are so small compared to many other towns. The locals owe them nothing but all help offered will make things better for the locals. They are on their own to deal with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Gamergurll

So basically you are suggesting we are bringing in dangerous people that will cause 'consequences' if they are bored for months on end? You make it sound like the locals should feel pressured into entertaining these people of fear their wrath? I live in a rural town with rubbish transport and no a entities, same as half the country and it sure as hell gets boring around here especially for young people, none of them go around tormenting the locals. These are supposed to be grown ass men who should be nothing but thankful to the help the get when staying here. If they participate in local activities in an attempt to integrate lovely but no locals should feel any way obligated to these newcomers. Your last line is just more proof of why this is a disaster, government gets them in and then washes their hands of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Oh absolutely, the level of welfare we provide and wide scale migration aren't compatible

This whole "cost of living" cope is complete nonsense like you say, because they have very little bills to pay!

See how they conveniently forget to mention that countries Like Denmark and Austria for example have similar or even higher costs of living compared to Ireland - but they only pay a fraction of what we pay to Ukrainians.

Austria approx €40 per week.

Denmark approx €80 per week.

Cut it down to what those in direct provision get ~€38 per week - problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Every day of the week, there are stories of towns across Ireland being unhappy with local government and national government about decisions affecting their locality. Why this story would even be of interest to anyone outside the town is hard to fathom - I can't imagine people in Cashel are having sleepless nights about things going on in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ElectricHangover

I can’t insert the link yet but it is easy to google what recently said an Israeli minister about Hamas:

‘go to Ireland or the deserts’ 

Maybe someone can paste link to full article from irishtimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TokTik

First they came to Cashel, and I said nothing because I wasn’t from Cashel……….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I wonder would this be the same male international protection applicant's who were bused into Buncrana in Donegal a couple of weeks back.

They were all young males, around 60 of them being housed beside a school and bused in at night with no consulting the local community.

Due to a blockade and great effort by the local community they had to abandon their plans and take them away again.

Couple of Big sinn fein councilors living in the town and his information to locals or support for the locals was non existent so don't be expecting any change.

Well done to the people of Buncrana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What has taking in refugees got to do with the corporate tax rate?

Which, by the way, has increased anyway to 15%.

We have already lost the advantage of our corporate tax rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement

It seems like 'faux outrage'. We keep reading about the situation re. tourism in Killarney, when in reality these are just local issues and between them and the national government.

Is Boards full of threads about closure of rural post offices and Garda stations, compensation for flood damage, lack of public transport in certain rural areas, withdrawal of funding for regional schemes, lack of sufficient healthcare in certain areas, closure of schools etc?

Replacing the tourism industry with the asylum seeker industry is a national issue. Tourism is a big employer in many parts of the country. If you don’t want to discuss it fair enough but it’s a bit bizarre to come on to a discussion thread just to have a pop at people for having a discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Is that hostel the only asylum seeker accom in the town?

If so, its hardly a large influx and pretty much all towns have taken some people in.

I belive there are some holiday towns that have lost 60% or 70% of their tourist accom and of course that will create issues for the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,899 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's not that there's an objection to discussion. It's an objection to anything that isn't glowingly supportive of the current mess and the issues it's causing - economically, structurally and socially.

He and others are well aware of the issues and increasingly annoyed and unsympathetic feelings of the locals - there's been enough links posted and articles written by even the mainstream media now to show that, but for whatever reason there will always be some who maintain a contrarian position.

Now to be fair, in some cases it can be extremely beneficial for such a view to be aired in the face of an apparent consensus (I and others were in fact those voices in the early days of this Ukrainian situation), but other times you need to read the room, take another look at your own position on the issue, and maybe just maybe recognise that it's not everyone else who's wrong... It's you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,899 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just proves that the word is most definitely out I guess. Ireland is now internationally recognised for being a haven for anyone with a sad story and there's record benefits on offer.

Not exactly the same thing as being known for Guinness, or our beauty spots and green fields really, but who needs tourism anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Conor pope of the oirish times today on the radio said he didn’t believe that over 2/3’s of those polled in the sindo believe we have taken in too many.basically said it was bs and that we have to keep the door wide open.how out of touch can u be .ordinary folk have been saying this for past yr but our “betters” has branded them far right lunatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Jeez, it is like all these people who take to twitter looking to cancel anyone who has an opinion with which they do not agree - bullying is rife but a refusal to believe the result of an opinion poll one disagrees with is shocking

I'm not denying for a moment that local businesses in Killarney have been impacted by the refugees and hotel accommodation situation, but it's rather unlikely to be a long term problem. Ukrainian people cannot live in hotels for years and one would imagine that the situation will begin to resolve itself and the hotels in Killarney and elsewhere will go back to their original purpose. For sure, the current government should be heavily criticised for its handling of the refugee crisis, but it's hard to believe we will still be talking about this as an issue in two or three year's time.

The government have said over and over that large scale influx of asylum seekers is permanent. If the Ukrainians leave they will be replaced by those from the other many countries at war. The end of the Ukraine war will likely not have a significant impact on these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wonder how many Conor has taken in in his house in Oxmantown rd? But sure he doesn't give a shyte, he has his property bought twenty years ago, to hell with the young ones tryin to buy or rent in today's market, just keep em comin, I'm alright my property value is increasing every day 💶💶💶💶👍

Advertisement