Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

In Tralee there is a growing problem of foreign men with nothing to do drinking in the park every day of the week in large groups.

They are shouting obscene comments at local women and teenage girls.

Look at the mess left behind too

Irish indo.

https://archive.is/EJhM2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Her daughter, an Irish citizen, is working and looking after her elderly mother, and they need a little help, that is exactly the situation that the safety net is there for.

Of all the "dole cheat" stories that we could pull up, this one doesn't even chart for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well immigration wasn't a prominent issue in the last GE campaign, and nobody could have seen the Ukranian influx coming, but I don't see that you could have expected the main political parties to be doing things much differently in light of their stated policies

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Gamergurll

She's only upset because she's racist... Obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭queueeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

Yup a snowflake far right racist. The lads are only relaxing after a hard days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

And therefore our choice, by virtue of being able to vote in a govt.

That quoted line...

Our choice eh? - Can you point out where in the Green party manifesto for the 2020 GE it stated that - 'If in Govt, we will send out tweets in multiple languages to 10's of millions of people, inviting them to come to Ireland for their own door accommodation after four months?'

Can you show me where in the FG, FF party's manifestos for the 2020 GE it stated - 'Should a coalition partner in Govt decide to send out tweets in multiple languages to 10's of millions of people, inviting them to come to Ireland for their own door accommodation after four months, we will agree to this proposal?'

Is that what we chose?

Or perhaps the true meaning of democracy in Ireland means - 'We can say any old shi!te to get elected and once elected, all bets are off and we will do whatever we like' - Is that it Blue?

None of the regular contributors to this thread (that want controlled immigration) voted for this sh!t show I can assure you

As an aside, your other recent posts on many, many political threads, come across as being very pro FG/Govt and very anti Sinn Fein, albeit very subtly, but I'm most likely wrong on that one and I stand to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Is being deported and removed from welfare something to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

That will never happen as we have seen in another very sad high profile case. Once you're in your in.Apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can you point out where in the Green party manifesto for the 2020 GE it stated that - 'If in Govt, we will send out tweets in multiple languages to 10's of millions of people, inviting them to come to Ireland for their own door accommodation after four months?'

Well political parties generally don't go into granular detail about what they would do in government in their manifestoes. But the Greens did say they would

Work towards ending Direct Provision and

replacing it with a not for profit system based

on accommodation provided through existing

or new approved housing bodies.

TBH anyone who voted for the Greens in the expectation they would implement restriuctive immigration policies deserves everything they (don't) get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TokTik

“Support” without actually doing anything are just weasel words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TokTik

Well a start would be to implement the EU laws that Leo et al love telling us about.

1. Repatriate any EU citizens here after three months if they cannot support themselves. This alone would have saved Aisling Murphy.
    2. Make all EU arrivals register on arrival, and with the local office in the area they move to. Move on again and register in the new place. Don’t register without an iron clad reason and get caught, enjoy your flight home and don’t come back.

Those are just 2 things we could do to reduce pressure on housing, health, education and social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They are still the party the people voted for, regardless of what they did afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Marcos

Don't worry about corporation tax drying up here, the government has a plan. Yes, you and I are going to have PRSI increases for the next five years in order to replenish the social fund. Would this be the same social fund that is currently paying full benefits to the 100,00 or so Ukranians who are coming here in increasing numbers? Some from such war torn hellholes as Canada?

But wait, what about the "we need immigrants to pay our pensions brigade?" We're paying for such immigrants both economically and in a high social cost, as the unfortunate Ryan Casey, boyfriend of Aisling Murphy and her family can all too easily tell us.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Those PRSI increases will be a hard pill to swallow paying for all the freeloaders we've imported already and continue to do so.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are some people with genuine concerns about refugees. I wouldn't class them all necessarily as Anti refugee/Far right. I think there is a line between concerns about refugees and being anti refugee. I think when you go from genuine well meaning concerns to being anti refugee that you are at that stage far right and Its ludicrous to claim that you can be anti refugee but not far right.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If people want to retire at 66 and people want to have a system that pays adequate income if you lose your job it has to be paid from somewhere.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Agreed, so why spend it on economic migrants posing as refugees?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Any claims I have seen posted have been well meaning concerns in my opinion.

Normal local people making stands and protesting about buses of young males from god knows where being smuggled into their towns and villages under darkness are being classed as far right racists.

In my honest opinion the far right label is mainly used when an argument is lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

There are a tiny number of far right agitators travelling around the country trying to link in with the protests. The media know this but still broadly label the protests and the locals as far right. It makes for more dramatic entertaining news reports I suppose but it is lies. The politicians of course hide behind these convenient lies.

No, the prsi increase is being used to fund pensions at 66 and increased jobseekers not to fund refugees

Terry Pratchet

Well yeah. Standing outside centres to block access or screaming at people to get out, protesting outside where people are living is far right and racist

Terry Pratchet

Standing outside where people live, harassing people, screaming at them to get out, blocking people moving in is all far right racism.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it's a bit more serious than that. Those who have investigated the phenomenon suspect it's these far right agitators who often initially organise the protests (via use of social media) but then try and pretend that the protests were organic and instigated by 'concerned locals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Yes it’s inconceivable that local people could have concerns about large numbers of possibly very troubled young men from violent countries arrive in their locality. Without the influence of the Far Right, locals would have had the bunting out and the bonfires of welcome lit! They’d be as enthusiastic as the owners of disused hotels who have fairly put their shoulders to the wheel in this humanitarian effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

No, that is absolutely not true in the rural areas. I can’t speak for the Dublin protests but the rural ones are almost exclusively initiated by concerned locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The protesters in Killarney had a silent march. Great idea as it doesn't give the right wing extremists any platform.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I could actually well believe that. Certainly the protest in Inch, Co. Clare did look like it was organised by locals, ditto with the one in Fethard.

The ones in cities are a bit more dodgy though and very possibly have outside involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There is also a danger of normalising the "far right."

Say it too often, to too many people, and the impact of the term is diluted.

Which is tragic when it genuinley deserves to be applied and people are immune to it.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf is forever relevant to us all.

Advertisement