Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So what do you call busing in large groups of young men under darkness with no information before hand to the local community. Do you not think people are right to react and protest. Why is there no explanation as to why its all young males, why they are here and where they are from. And more importantly are any of them dangerous. What do you think.

Relocating undocumented young males under cover of night into unexpecting, unaware communities to me is more like right wing racism against Irish people

It's the Government’s tactics that is promoting a far right normalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

That’s the world we live in now. The NGO’s and their multiple representatives across discussion boards try to normalise it. But it’s down right frustrating when this happen in small towns and villages. How sustainable is it long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The PRSI increase will help people who have lost their jobs receive higher social welfare payments.

As long as they have contributed for at least 5 years, a person could more than double their welfare payments (vs todays rates) for the first 3 months following redundancy.

If SF get into power, you may be seeing a lot of takers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Let's be real the privately influenced NGOs are in charge of government policy.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You could probably count on one hand the number of real refugees coming here, most of them are economic migrants.

Sure even Michael McDowell who is a former Justice Minister said most of the stories they spin are BS.

yes they have a very big say. also worth a lot of money to them. They are very powerful and influential. You can spot the NGO’s a mile off on here. And it’s funny… 99% of the posters who discuss immigration here just want controlled immigration and to look like we have a handle on things. That’s my take anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bloopy

Meanwhile, while we are busy calling farmers and local communities far right, the actual far right are celebrating another victory in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Geert Wilders becoming Dutch PM would be delicious no doubt.

Absolute teary eyed scenes in Guardian towers this evening

'French far right politician Marine Le Pen has congratulated Geert Wilders and the PVV"

"Their spectacular performance,” she said, “confirms the growing attachment to the defence of national identities”.

• Advertisement

I Don't believe that there is a massive rise in supporters of the far right.

But I do believe there is a massive rise in people starting to say enough is enough. The pi## taking has gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Tork

Yep. I don't think most of the voters for these parties are particularly far right. But because anybody who has doubts about unlimited immigration or is worried about certain cohorts of migrants is shouted down, where do they have left to turn? Most people exist somewhere in the middle of the two extremes but nobody is listening to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The far right in every country pretty much have being anti-immigration as the central plank of their manifesto though. It's not as if they have a lot of radical policies covering a whole range of subjects - immigration control is their main focus (they are obsessed with the idea of the main ethnic grouping in their country being 'diluted' by admitting too many outsiders).

well i’m glad I’ve lightened up the mood!

Id agree with this.

But what other choices do people have. Its the Government’s in these countries like our own who are making ordinary people vote for right wing parties.

I myself welcome immigration if it is properly controlled and enforced and the immigrants themselves are here to add to society.

So voting for the same again and the government not changing is just going to let the free for all continue, so I myself might vote for a far right party if only to say enough is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Far Right Party expected to win the most seats in Dutch elections tonight.

There is clearly a far right upsurge across Europe and I think its more than reasonable to say that all these people, the continent over, cannot all be outright racists and extremists.

There is too much "them and us" Left Vs Right.

Where is the empathy on either side to strive for a command ground.

Thats the sad part, to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I have some magic beans for sale in you're interested?

• Advertisement

Totally agree, but this hasn't just happened over night. It's been coming along time now and could of been avoided if governments had shown a little bit of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Well political parties generally don't go into granular detail...

Granular detail? - I'm not moaning about them saying they'll build 12 new cycle lanes and then they build 14

He invited millions of people to come to Ireland in Albanian, Arabic, French, Somali, Urdu and Georgian languages - He asked, and they came...in their droves - I remember he expressed some surprise at the "dramatic" rise of the numbers arriving - what a cabbage!

So this "Granular detail" item that they failed to mention pre the 2020 GE, has cost the taxpayer 100's of millions of Euro's (if not billions) to date and will change Ireland forever...but it's just a tiny little grain is it? - Oh right

And of course the other two big lads in there were just fine with all of this - They can't absolve themselves from this shambles, not by a long shot. They are just as culpable as the Greens - Then, to add insult to injury, FG puts the chronically incompetent Helen McEntee into Justice (for the look) and she proceeds to lose total control of our borders as thousands arrive every month (with 500 of those arriving p/m, trashing their passports/docs)

It's borderline treason imo

a front door in four months next to a cycle lane. good man Roddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's fair enough, though I suspect such parties are at a disadvantage in Ireland. Countries like the UK, Netherlands and Germany (each of which where the far right are doing well) are all former colonial powers. Our history as a country that was colonised and very badly treated in the process gives us a different perspective on the whole immigration / emigration thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

What is really lacking in this country is a political party to stand up and just say, and which is common sense, there are no more places.

Will we get this? I don't know but it looks like the first time I(and family) will have never voted in our lives(because there's no representation and therefore democracy if that's not offered).

Edit: if FFG change their tune, I don't care, they will never get my vote.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Democracy is and has been challenged already…

the majority of people in this country wanted and want limits on help for the Ukraine and Ukrainians but what did our politicians tell us ? No limits to those arriving and they are entitled to everything a citizen is and more besides.

that isn’t democracy.

that’s political bully boy carry on….

from the outset we were told what’s happening, not asked…

not wishing to discuss that situation in this thread just using it as an example of how undemocratic politics can become.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

Conor McGregor telling his 10 million followers go stop and forigen men moving in to buildings and to 'evaporate' any building planned to house them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭scottser

Some people think that all of their woes are due to immigrants. They think that they can't find somewhere to live, or get their kids into a school, or their tax is too high, or they have to pay more back to the state is all because there is a concerted effort by the WEF to undermine their lovely Irish identity or somesuch bollix.

The real problem is that the government they voted for is screwing them. There isn't a 'housing crisis'. Its a deliberate ploy to generate profits for the government and its chosen investors and partners. It's policy, and its working very nicely for them. Homelessness? You can bet they're making a profit but while it would be easier and cheaper to house everyone, the anti-immigrants get bogged down in entitlements. Its simple divide and conquer and the suckers lap it up every time.

What people don't realise is that the state gives you everything. It even gives your stupid opinion a validation it doesn't deserve, gives you the chance to bite that feeds. I'm more interested in those that give than those who take and the anti-immigrant voices are simply those who refuse to share and forget the start we all got - education, housing and health care. Start cherry picking who is more entitled is nothing more than a race to the bottom. Anti-immigrant protesters call themselves 'patriots' but they're just begrudging bastards, who will happily sell everybody's rights away and call for a more autocratic government while waving a Daily Mail in your face. Packacuntz is all they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem we have is the world is not in a good place.

Israel vs Palestine

Russia vs The Ukraine

Many parts of Africa are in an absolute jocker, wars, famine, violence in general, civil rights issues..

climate change beginning to cause massive issues in Africa and other places

the problem is millions of people with these issues in these places see Europe as a viable alternative, a comparative paradise… and they are right to.

EU and us, EU citizens cannot be the global lifeboat. We’ve been that for long enough…there are not the resources, it’s not fair on EU citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement