Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Your comment re planning permission is untrue.They are accommodated in Hotels ,Hostels,B&Bs etc all over Ireland without any extra planning permission required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There is a specific legal / planning issue re. Dromahair apparently and that is why refugees cannot move in at the moment (and it still hasn't been sorted out). But they also say refugees won't be moved in without full consultation and agreement with the local community. One suggestion that has been made is that only half the number of allocated refugees might go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The 950-1000 going to rural Wicklow are all going into to be built cabins.

Not to mention change of use in the case of Electric Picnic's tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"we all need to reflect on how a country with our resources" cannot accommodate the constant stream of refugees/economic migrants/ipa's according to Nick Henderson from his lofty perch

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They are saying now they want to put migrants in places "without tensions". Surely that's only spreading the issues? Places without tensions might see tensions grow. There is a chaotic feeling about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Part of the problem though is that, if Boards were representative of the population, then absolutely nobody is far right, absolutely nobody is racist, absolutely nobody is xenophobic and absolutely nobody is ignorant. We acknowledge that all these things do exist in our society, but according to Boards it's next to impossible to find anyone who actually harbours any such opinions and those constantly and obsessively musing over immigration and the behaviour of immigrants are always and exclusively simply concerned citizens.

When people find themselves saying "how dare you call me [one of those things], I'm certainly not!" ... I think to myself, well, maybe you actually are. Or maybe you (not you directly) harbour certain components of those views and haven't really critically thought about whether they are based on far rightism or any other ism or phobia — but apparently nobody does, it's all sincere concern 24/7.

I mean, Leo Varadkar is publicly stating that Ireland is at a point where its ability to host refugees is now at its capacity limit for hosting refugees. He doesn't get called far right or racist or xenophobic — why? Why is it only the people who seem to obsess over the race, culture, religion, nationality etc of refugees who get called all the labels? Is it beyond the realms of the imagination that sometimes they are actually simply guilty of the isms/phobias?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

No legal/planning issue whatsoever.It is in exactly the same situation as all other accommodation providers all over Ireland.I live not far from there.It is completely insane to consider housing any amount of refugees in the village.No school places,doctor availability,transport non existent. Ridiculous proposal no matter how much to try to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Shinner on Clare Byrne earlier from Leitrim and no change was the mantra.people that think the shinners in government next time are going to stop this nonsense are going to be in for a rude awakening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭pgj2015

unbelievable and disgusting, who do they think they are? racism and sexism simple as. They dont want single males there according to Harkin, because dont you know single males are all murderers. 🤦‍♂️

Not a hope would Harkin ever get my vote after that. if 200 Irish people from Cork were moved to dromahair, no one living there would care but seeing as they aren't irish lets all pretend we care that there is no community centre lol.

"concerned residents" = Racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

When you consider that 60% of those arriving are destroying their documentation (why do this if you're sincere?), that equates to roughly 93 bogus AS being dumped into this village with no services to accommodate such an increase in numbers.

You don't have to look far and wide to see the trouble that's brewing within these IPA centres elsewhere, or the hassle local residents are experiencing as a result of accommodating said AS.

The government are also displaying bad faith in these situations. They have no long term plan and Killarney has shown that if you give this government an inch, they'll take a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I mean, ya... we were all told last year that all men are a danger so doesn't this follow ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I have no idea what this is meant to be achieving but it's absolutely not a chance fpr my voice to be heard on immigration policy in Ireland.

It's a satisfactory questionnaire for immigrants as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

people that think the shinners in government next time are going to stop this nonsense

I find it hard to believe any remotely politically aware person genuinely believes that at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Worked smashingly well in Sweden too. They literally did the same thing, dump loads of people that they had no idea who they were in places that had no ability to support them. But the Irish are sound so they'll all integrate seamlessly and live happily every after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Gave up half way through myself, like wading through a swamp, life's too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

With Nigers Coup d'etat government decriminalising people trafficking we're going to see an uptick in migrants over the next year.

No doubt Putin played a large part in this decision. European politicians are allowing Putin to wage a proxy war on Europe for fear of being labelled racists.

We're entering the final stage in the below qouted cycle imo.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

I feel sometimes Nick thinks we only have problems housing Refugees / IPA and we have no homegrown problems of our own. Shure we are super rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Indeed, it is a good job that we have competent leaders who can handle this situation.

I suppose if they let them in every man woman and child would be dead by the next day. they are very dangerous, all single males.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

It's an interesting social experiment at least, in terms of impacts on tax take/use of our taxes and the impact on local communities.

What was it? ah yes "lessons will be learned", that will be fun to listen to in a few years when we are like Sweden.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Must be very dangerous countries there running from when they leave their mothers, wives,sisters, sons or daughters behind 🤔.

who said they have any mothers, wives, sisters or sons? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Logic unless you want to believe they are all orphans .This would help your asylum case if you say all your family was killed and difficult to prove .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭riddles

Are the Green Party not concerned with all this inward migration and increased carbon as a by product? Hard to find an A rated tent this time of the year 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

OK maybe they are all only child single orphaned men. Who knows. And here is the problem no one seems to know anything about them and doesn't seem to care about checking or control so do you not think local communities are right to be concerned.

Why is it always buses of large groups of men, where are the families. I cannot get anyone to answer this so you will probably ignore this fact too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No because you'll have to work harder to reduce yours. And pay through the nose for it and live a more frugal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

No he is not worried. Now if they can make a decent dent on the number before they are voted into oblivion….

https://politics.ie/threads/eamon-ryan-wants-to-import-5-million-refugees-into-ireland-to-bring-the-population-to-10-million.253831/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And then the other half will go somewhere else...So.

The details of the consultation with the local community are intereresting.

I doubt they need to reach an agreement with the locals, just consult with them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement