Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You're speaking as if the local community are fully on board with the protesters and don't disagree with them in any way.

Several times in the last year, we've seen counter protests in these communities where anti-refugee types had been claiming to speak for the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some silly people will still disagree and think sleeping under a bridge with a sleeping bag and a voucher for 100 euros for dunnes in the middle of winter is OK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I believe the modus operandi of this current government when faced with public protest is to ship people in under the cover of darkness, ignoring the public protest entirely. Not at all surprised that such subversive tactics are reacted to in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭toucheswood

I wouldnt be listening too hard to anyone that supports more and more people into an unprecedented housing crisis, borne of mass migration itself. Not to mention every other facility under strain from numbers.

But there are always outliers. Must be very comfy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well whoever did this for whatever reason should be dealt with to the full of the law of Ireland as we do not need people thinking they can do this

Edit. Just to clarify was talking about the fire

• Advertisement

Divide and conquer. Been used in this country before.

Definitely, they should meet with the local community before dumping people into unsuspecting communities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

You would have to wonder if the government are completely ignoring the populace on dropping huge numbers of economic migrants into small communities, what else are they planning to force on us regardless of what we think?

I can't even believe a supposedly western democratic country has this shoved down the throat of voters who have 0 voice.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭toucheswood

I'm 100% positive that these people do not have the support of practically their whole community and will be apprehended with gusto.

Sorry, I meant 0%.

Sorry should have clarified it was the fire I was talking about. But yes I agree a longer then oh next week you will have people coming to your place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

Every Irish citizen has Sovereign rights accrding to the Irish Constitution,including the right to elect those who make our laws and govern us.

Some Irish towns and villages are majority Ukrainian or assorted other asylum shoppers.

The government has extended voting rights to all these people in the forthcoming local elections.

So power now will be held and local policy determined by these foreign majorities.

'' A Protestant State for a Protestant People''............ A Ukrainian Oblast for a Ukrainian majority (in Roscommon,Galway, etc).........''African Tribal law for an African majority'' (again insert any small Irish town ,village.)

It is therefore proven that the above is in fact a Plantation.

So the whole community are 100% behind the fire happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

according to google maps there is 1 pub in rosscahill and no shops - what in the name of god are the gov thinking when placing large groups of people with nothing to do into these places.

Lavish catering contracts in place no doubt also - there has to be, how else would they eat!

The irony of using social media to say your piece but let nobody else discuss.

So it has been found to be arson. Or is he spreading misinformation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭monseiur

What does the act say about a person who destroys his/her passport before presenting to immigration desk and refuses to identify him/herself or country of origin. How can such illegal migrants, masquerading as refugees, be vetted by the authorities ? Is it fair to dump them on quiet, rural, sparsley populated, isolated communities many of them perhaps elderly and living alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Just what money do you think these places inject into local economy out of interest. The dude that owns it benefits. Thats about it. As a hotel it would be better in this regard, no?

I can see Leo and Michael M condemning vandals and arson but it says that the Gardai have it sealed off waiting on a forensic investigation. Was it stated it was arson or deliberate on the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

The news mentioned a criminal act so they must be pretty sure about that. I assume that would be easily determined anyway. Politicians have linked it to the protesters though with no evidence and no investigation done, so they have overstepped the mark there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It wasn't a hotel btw before it was burned. It was a closed hotel. It is now a closed, burnt hotel. I'm also not in the hotel business, but I'd have to imagine that a closed, burnt, hotel probably isn't a great source of revenue.

Money is spent in areas in lots of different ways. Roads, services such as schools, post offices and Gardai, community centres, employment centres, medical centres etc. If you are in a place with a static or dwindling population, then be prepared to stay at the back of the queue when it comes to such investments when there are other places growing and needing those services more.

One shouldn't really need to be explaining this.

I'd recommend reading that Act if you want to know more about it. As mentioned, the Act states that someone cana guilty for an offence if they don't produce a passport on entry, and but it does also provide that a reasonable excuse can be provided. If someone refused to give their name and country of origin i don't see how they can request international protection as they need to provide a "well founded fear of persecution". That will be difficult if you a person won't answer where they are from. So basically if they didn't that their application woukd be refused.

"So much for the ‘Ceide Mile Failte’ and we supposed to be one of the best countries internationally for volunteering , raising money for needy causes, etc, etc. I would hate to be a citizen of those countries/ areas from which most of these refugees/ asylum seekers- including UKranians - come from. We, in general, in Ireland, have not a clue of how relatively well off we are, how safe we are, now free we are, how free we are of climate disasters, etc, etc, etc"

And will their country get better if we let every single one of them come here? Genuine question?

"so, it greatly disappoints me to see people proactively / very vigoursly objecting to the housing of refugees, etc, in their areas. Given the precarious / serious circumstances these refugees find themselves in and1000s’ miles from home is it not beholden to us Irish to allow ourselves to be put out a bit from our comfort zone."

Currently, to rent a house in Galway city you are talking min 1250 euro, county 800 absolute min. That aside, why did said "refugees "(Pst economic migrants) leave the UK, France, Spain, Italy, Morocco etc before coming here? With the exception of the Invited Ukrainian/Syrian people(Genuine refugees).

"I do not know what exactly is going on re level of communication between community and gov - there should be a certain level- but you will get serial objectors in every community plus the ‘rent a crowd getting involved. Also locals ‘ looking for a cause’ for various reasons."

Where the communities have engaged an welcomed the government has repaid by being underhanded - i.e, oh yes it will be 7 families when in fact its 50 men, that was discussed live on a talk show on RTE, I cannot find a link to it though seems to be well buried.

They can easily assume this is right. They know the feelings from all these communities but still don't bother to listen. Still use stealth tactics to smuggle in these people into unsuspecting communities. Any crime committed here falls directly at O Gorman and the Government’s feet.

" If you are in a place with a static or dwindling population, then be prepared to stay at the back of the queue when it comes to such investments when there are other places growing and needing those services more."

Ah yes, the smallest of the aran islands, home to many impoverished subsisting as they commute to their well paying jobs 10-20 mins away in Galway city.

70 international protection recipients would be an absolute drain on the already stretched services in that area. Anything additional brought in for them will only be for them - shuttle buses, medical people etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Didnt fg close loads of garda station round the country years gone. Dont think it was anything to do with dwindling population.

One question. Is it possible to board a plane in any country with a passport or identification of any kind. Is that possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Some people will go to great lengths to keep foreigners out, scary stuff indeed!

• Advertisement

It was stated on the news that the garda have stated they are "investigating a criminal damage incident by fire".

Advertisement