Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭dmakc

Irrespective of why we continue to take everyone after capacity has been reached, 70 men dropped into an established community of 300 isn't a case of sharing responsibility, it's a complete shift in dynamic with few services to support what's already there, never mind what's coming in.

People aren't stupid, they know it's illogical, they know the benefits that hoteliers are getting from their derelict business, they know 60% of IPAs are tearing up their identifcation, they know of the violence in Gorey's hotels, they know Ballsbridge aren't taking their share, they know the media won't dare question why.

These people would like answers, not "far-right" media deflections or the government hiding behind non-existent "obligations".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Because the local property tax does not cover all costs for services in local areas, especially rural ones.

The folks that live in rural Mayo or Galway are not covering the cost of the services they receive, they are being bank rolled by central govt to cover the shortfalls.

This isn't a "local community not pulling their part" decision, these communities are paying their taxes, what are you actually on about? Seems that your issue is with democracy.

These placements are driven by hoteliers with closed businesses taking the opportunity to make easy money. Irrelevant to whether it's a city, town or village. However, in the case of a village, lumping a significant number of men completely distorts things from a cultural and services perspective when compared to a town or city. And you're saying this is a fair sacrifice (so you agree it's a plight?) for the village already drained of services in the past (also by government?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh I know you're not, just saying it won't be me doing any reporting.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Communication is vitial and that has to happen. The govt have done a poor job on that front.

I dont think many would argue with that.

But rural areas cannot just absolve their responsibilities by burning down property.

Commiting criminal damage isnt the answer and I would expect the govt will ensure those asylum seekers still goto the local area, so as not to send a message to all that people can set fire to buildings and avoid the asylum seekers being housed in their locale.

I'm fairly sure we've seen a few communities "win" (for lack of better word) via protest and the IPA's have been sent elsewhere as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if government back out of this one too, sure the hotel is not there anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i disagree. it will work in 2 ways.

1. these lads have mobiles and will be in touch with their friends back home. word will filter back to the local village, that Ireland is no longer the land of a thousand welcomes.
    2. 70 beds have now been taken out of service. have you ever tried sleeping in Co. Galway this time of year without a roof over your head? you would n't last 2 nights. in the words of that great philosopher P. flynn "you should try it sometime! it's not easy i can tell ye."

Possibly, but I expect the govt will take steps to make sure some folks are housed in the locality, one way or another.

They cant allow the public to see arson as a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

disagree. The white paper online promising everything for everyone will mean folks as in economic migrants will keep coming here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

But ..they weren't..dropped in a village ..or anywhere as it happens .

They would have been , in a house in" the arsehole of nowhere " as another poster put it .Not saying I agree with that cruel description but they weren't being ..dropped ..in a village .

As for people being stupid , but it's a bit stupid to expect hoteliers or anyone else to donate their properties for free, isn't it ?

As for Ballsbridge , not too many empty places there now , are there?! Tourists staying in rented sheds called " mews" !

And that house /hotel /whatever , maybe the owner was thinking make some money so I can do it up properly after, what's wrong with that ?

Is Capitalim bad now if it pertains to refugees but leaving a house derelict is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I agree that O'Gorman is completely at sea in his post. It's a near certainty that when the Greens sought this post they didn't think it was going to be so contentious - which when aligned with their AS policy shows a stunning naivety. Not withstanding the pressures induced by the war in Ukraine, O'Gormans advertised policy of own door accommodation was alway going to be seen as an invite to the world to come here.

So you support that sort of action in the name of democracy ,do you ?

What will happen now is pressure on homeless services in another urban location , services which have been ringfenced till now , and you will see the same " protestors " bleating about the amount of people sleeping rough over Christmas ...its so hypocritical and grating .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Communication wouldn't actually change anything other than allow opposition to mobilise - that's why it's near absent.

The issue is that government have a aspirational policy of offering best in class AS provision, but lack the capacity to deliver this. Very few communities want AS provision anywhere near them. It has resulted in people arriving here and becoming homeless. It's not a community failure, it's a policy failure.

Policymakers need to get real and start implementing workable instead of aspirational policy, and perhaps forget about moving onto the big intergovernmental or NGO job when they're done here.

That imo has been the biggest mistake made by O'Gorman. To publish that in every language. No doubt pressure from Irish based Immigrant NGO's had influence it and maybe he was trying to appease them. But promising someone their own front door is ludicrous when we had a housing list the length of Cork. It's a document that should be taking down (for now) until we can figure out how we manage this better long term.

Though I do hope that O'Gorman is shown the door at the next section. He smacks of arrogance in dealing with the rural communities.

Yes . Naivety, and completely ill advised.

Funny that ...

Almost completely takes the pressure off the Ministers for Housing and Health and Social Preotection , doesn't it?

Hardly a whisper about those areas now , except from some opposition tds who, in fairness to them , have never been distracted from the other issues.

Firstly you on NGO rant again !

Secondly , O'Gorman and the Greens are gone for the next decade at least not only because of AS policy . They have beena thorn in most people 's side , except the minority that vote Green , for the last few years and are increasingly irrelevant now other parties have caught up with the Green Agenda , imo of course .

He has been a bad minister, full stop, and I blame Leo and MM for not replacing him but they would not have wanted to rock the boat in the coalition , as well as enjoying the relative ' peace ' he gave from public distraction for some of their more embattled ministers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What are you on about? You do realise rural Galway houses the workers for the biggest hub of medical device companies in Ireland? Talking as if everywhere outside Dublin is a famine-era soup kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its a typical FF and FG move to shaft the smaller party. If I was a smaller party I would be wary of going into government with them. We have seen the PD's, Labour and now the Greens destroyed by going into power with these 2. Smaller parties need to be a lot stronger in government and not fall for the old line "The public won't forgive you for pulling down the government". I think it would be the opposite and that they would gain the publics support and trust if they did pull the government down.

• Advertisement

?

Sorry can you rephrase that and tell me why you are directing that to me ?

It was @thomas 123 that should be credited with that discussion ;)

I do know they were elected btw .

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus.

First up, no, the Ukrainians are under the Temporary Protection directive. They are not in under IP

Second, if some company wants to give a free sim card with a free month's usage to capture more market share, then that's hardly something for you to worry about..................The mobile phone networks used to do the same kind of promotion years ago for college students etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So give us the figures if you're so sure of your argument. What proportion of refugees and asylum seekers are currently housed in the cities of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway compared to what are being placed forcibly in rural areas and small towns.

I could barely believe my eyes last summer as I came down a remote boreen through bog lands in the west to meet a small group of African people. They couldn't have been more out of context on a pissy rainy day.

Do you realise that this policy is having a severe effect on domestic tourism. It directly affects the income of many Irish people as there is little or no accommodation at reasonable costs for visitors. I've lost business because of it. Maybe you don't care as someone else pays your wages. Maybe you don't care about domestic tourism as you jump on a plane two or three times a year to get out this god forsaken place? Maybe you don't care that a generation of 20-30 yr old Irish citizens are leaching away as they see no future here.

Agree . But he has made himself a willing scapegoat.

I do think they as a party are irrelevant, but again that is my opinion .

But DT , don't you know that capitalism is only acceptable if used for the common good ,lol, and according to some that is not helping IPAs or AS !

As if capitalism ever looked to align itself with 'the common good ' of course ;)

It is mad stuff indeed

Yes we have heard this anecdote from you before.....many times .

Sad that you have to recount your ONE incident of " meeting a group of African people " on such a thread , over and over.

And you think this highlights how ASs should be elsewhere?

Can poc not enjoy the countryside too ?

AND as a mother of that age group you are talking about I can assure you that any with an ounce of cop on don't blame AS or IPAs for the lack of housing etc . They blame the government .

Which is what a lot posting here used to do until it became fashionable on boards to kick asylum seekers .

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Marcos

Thee seem to be a few "NGO adjacent" posters on this and similar threads alright.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

i have nothing against NGO’s but i do get frustrated when nick henderson is constantly criticising our efforts. when is enough enough for him? half a million, a million?

Does he not realise that we have problems that we struggle to get on top… i’ve no time for this government they are a **** show but they did throw a lot taxpayer’s money at this issue what more does henderson want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Something people might not be factoring in is there may be a fair bit of "Nimbyism" going on i.e. the communities are not anti-immigration or right wing per se, but just don't want change or disruption to their local set up.

Which would actually be very bad news for any right wingers who think they have suddenly amassed hundreds of thousands of fellow travellers. Nimby types will probably keep on voting for FF and FG regardless.

Advertisement