Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Why post this without a proper reference or quote..... so that it could snake on by ?

You know I don't work for one as I have clearly stated before. But keep on trying to discredit a poster by telling fibs ..

Your go to is to blame NGOs for all of life's ills which is just ignorant because it has been shown countless times how NGOs in Ireland do the work that government can't or won't do , and are mainly all our charitable and NOT FOR PROFIT organisations without whom our country would fold and people who need their help (vulnerable Irish people mostly would have noone to advocate for them

Now I will direct you back to the list of agencies that you obviously didn't read the last time you made this ill thought out argument and when you have read the list , come back to me and tell me if we can do without them ....

And you believe that every poster who disagrees with your views are NGOs ? ;)

I won't leave a comment go by like that if I disagree with it just to suit you .

That is ONE person , not all NGOs , but at least it's more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

There are legit issues and there are legit protests ... but spreading lies and hatred aimed to divide people is not anything but the far right ... being against govt and being for violence on our streets are 2 totally different things by the way ... no decent person will condone the type of violence in Dublin a month ago or that terrorist fire attack in Galway ... that solves nothing and it is clear very sinister forces are at play here ...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How are you trying to say the fire in the Galway hotel solved nothing ,For one thing it solved the problem of 70 migrants moving into the small comunity there and there will probably be alot more of these incidents if the govenment do not heed local communities concerns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

There you go again… please collate all my posts that says I blame all of ‘life’s ills on NGO’s’. I wait with patience.

Go ahead. Post your list of of NGO’s if you like. I’m only interested in talking about two of them. But you know this.

And you believe that everytime I drop a comment on NGO’s it is ‘ranting’. A real stretch if you ask me. You seem to take great offence when I make comments of this nature considysome of the stuff said here, which is outrageous.

In fact let’s ask other posters here is my comments (all 4/5 of them) on NGOs a comment or a rant? Or maybe a sarcastic comment.

I’ve also said i don’t have problems with 99% of NGO’s, so I guess I can repeat that but it would do no good as you would still accuse me of ranting. So i’ll ask you again ignore my posts and comments on NGOs. In fact just ignore me.

But you were bang on about the green party, i’ll certainly agree with you on that. So post your final reply. Say what you have to say and I say good day to you in advance. I won’t reply to it. I’ll to be busy looking for the ignore feature.

"I'm fairly sure we've seen a few communities "win" (for lack of better word) via protest and the IPA's have been sent elsewhere as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if government back out of this one too, sure the hotel is not there anymore".

The above which I quoted in my reply to you ? Your own words? The action of getting rid of a problem through intimidation and violence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Would you be right in the head listening to the Irish media.? All day long, they all towed the party line. Burning the hotel was so wrong, we need to be taking in as many immigrants as they send us. We are the good boys of the class after all. We are racists and nothing more for doing this. Then roll out as many disgusted locals to reinforce the government line, followed by as many well integrated immigrants as you can round up. Mainstream Irish media on TV and radio have become so backwards and controlling. They fear not being able to control the narrative anymore, as their jobs are nothing without that control. Laughable listening to news talk and today FM on this during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭slay55

Something else to factor in , people are all to aware with what is going on don’t want them near them or in the county at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

It is a criminal act for god's sake ... I hope you are not condoning these terrorists !! ... they do not deserve support ... they have not solved anything but have caused more problems ... those 70 will go elsewhere ... I know which of the 2 I'd fear most ... 70 migrants or thugs willing to burn down a hotel are the options ... I'd fear the latter and regard this filth as the problem that needs to be purged ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭dmakc

And where did I say I supported the intimidation and violence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

`Fair play to the  Fianna Fáil councillors

Shameful from Fianna Fáil to be reprimanding them.

There's going to be some eye opener when the general election comes up, there's no doubt in my mind that this is going to get alot worse. We're just not feeling it at the moment because we're on the outskirts of Europe. If the UK gets it's Rwanda deal over the line (I doubt they will) it's going to be chaos over here

The media won’t be to critical as they don’t want to loose the 100’s of ‘a message from the government of ireland’ adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Correct, those 3 departments are keeping very quiet indeed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

There seems to be a few pro far right 'adjacent ' posters on here too then .

It would be a **** show for o’brien with accommodation. Beat trick he pulled was offloading to O’Gorman.

I didn't say you did but this is us going round in circles here .

If you remember I asked you did you support that type of action?

Who are you talking to, Tom ?

I take your point ok.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭dmakc

You didn't ask if I supported it as much as implied that I supported arson. Which is why I'm not arsed to dignify you with a proper response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rwanda deal might get a few thousand of the Brits' hands. it's trying to bail out the Titamic with a coffee mug...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is a certain amount of nimbyism too, but what is driving that. Why do people not want these centres in their back yard. Fundamentally I think the real problem is when you dump poor men from culturally diverse backgrounds that more likely do not align with Irish norms, you start to change the character of communities - that is actually what people do not want. That's what some people have told me privately, but you never see it published or discussed. They don't want the lads that sit around in groups of three and four at corners smoking weed.

It's not about services, or anything else. Now you could say that all belies a deep seated latent racism in large swathes of the country, but I don't think that's the case either because these same people don't have issues with professionals that come here.

Well after all that , seeing as I didn't imply, just asked a straight question , one that you say you can't be " arsed" to answer , then I would say maybe we should leave it there as it is obvious you are not going to reply with civility .

You are the one making the implication by the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

RTE tried to find disgusted locals for Drivetime. Unfortunately most of the opinions were 'shouldn't have happened, but what did you expect'.

This is likely repeated up and down the country. Not sure there are too many people overly shocked at the burning of the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Infrastruture is key and asylum policy should accord with the available facilities.

In this case, the facilities were there.

I think communciation is still important. I dont disagree that its somewhat of a one way conversation, but it at least would show respect for the community and allow them chance to speak.

PR is a large part of this whole undertaking and the govt have done a terrible job, consistently.

Rural Galway still received supplements to its PT.

It didnt generate enough revenue to pay for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I listened to a ff councillor getting a grilling this morning on rte radio. Fair play to him he stuck to his guns. He stated categorically that all the people at the blockade were local people and also alot of parents and grandparents. Of course Hildagard Nocton came on afterwards and one of the first words out of her mouth was far right. Pathetic but expected.

If you say far right enough times sure it has to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Infrastructure for refugees surely means more then a just bed for them .How are 70 young unemployed men supposed to pass their time in the middle of nowhere in a small comunity of 300 people.

I dont agree with towns having all of their tourism hotels taken over by Asylum Seekers. Not at all.

But that doesnt mean that rural areas dont have to contribute.

Is that not fair enough?

I am sorry that you lost business as a result of the policy.

I think one of the issues is that the govt is looking for anywhere available to house IPAs and isnt doing an independent assessment on a town/village, before signing off on IPA accom.

That assessment should happen in my opinion, but equally, all counties still need to contribute.

There is a balance and its not fair for Dublin/Cork/Limerick/Galway cities to take the hit alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Much the same on rte radio evening news... O Cuiv waffling as only he can, Pauline oReilly talking down and emoting but solving nothing along with the well named Lucky Kambule who's bagged his very own ngo and then we had the reporter from the scene in Galway trying desperately to feed answers to his interviewees but they were having none of it TG(if there is one)

Advertisement