Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

A large turn out of largely people who came from a refugee background themselves. Not one of my family, friends, work colleagues or wider social circle would ever be seen dead at these marches. For the record, they are not racist, simply too busy or overworked to care. As there are so many challenges facing a lot of people in this country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

It's definitely something I take for granted but thankfully my line of work has a great work/life balance.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I do think that the protest was positive because there is a danger of protest against housing refugees morphing into out and out racism.

Thus it was important that at all times that we are not racist just being critical of government policies on refugees.

I'm sure a lot of the realistic people at the protest would agree with all I have said

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

The march was like some kind of Eucharistic Congress for NGOs. There are so many of them now that they can muster up a big crowd. Rent-a-mob. And what exactly was their agenda? That it's wrong to be racist? I think most of us agree on that. I wouldn't touch the Irish Freedom Party with a bargepole, or condone anyone shouting abuse outside a Direct Provision centre. But they ignore all the huge elephants in the room that aren't going away. It was a massive circle-jerk for them to reassure themselves of how great they are, and I think there's an edge of anxiety about it that they aren't wholly in control of the narrative any more.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Sorry that should read its important that we clearly state that we are not racist

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Far right networks are bad but far left ones can come together using tax payers money and hold marches.

Who paid for the speakers, the barriers etc yesterday?

Using tax payers money isn't very grass roots.

FF and the greens there marching about the housing and health failings. 😆

Who is we?

I find actions speak louder then words anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I see this arguement appearing on here as well "your against refugee quotas and proper Controls on those entering our country then you are no better then a brexiteer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

So you’ve no children squeezed into overcrowded classrooms or elderly parents who need access to a failing health service.

I can certainly see why you can afford to be blasé..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It’s effectively a vigil - pilgrimage for WOKE types , devout Catholics went to Knock , Lourdes or climbed Croagh Patrick

devout virtue signallers attend “ refugees welcome “ assemblies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So just for my records.

The same 50 people showing up to a protest carrying Identikit signs and livestreaming for donations and threatening to burn out immigrants = concerned parents.

Actual humans gathering to say actually we're not ok with that, families and kids included = doctored photos, trans agenda, crisis actors, paid NGO shills and illegal criminals.

Well, that's changed my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Who would have thought a large anti racism march would be such a triggering event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And yet there are no direct provision or similar centres in affluent areas. Label those who complain about large numbers of refugees landed into their areas but refuse to take in any themselves.

It's not just an Irish thing either

Absolute virtue signalling.

They call for solidarity. Well then prove it. Refugees for dalkey, howth ,raheny etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Speaking of NGOs who is helping that Afgan chancer to take his court case against the state? Oh it's the Irish Refugee Council who are a government funded NGO! If I was in government I would be cut funding to this crowd and audit the rest of these organisations who the taxpayer funds

I never said that. Just meant at weekends we often make it to town. And I take it for granted always having my weekends for personal time. Others are not so lucky.

What was I blasé about?

I don’t think anyone is using those divisive terms.

The march yesterday was in part about speaking out about lies and misinformation. Then they say more than 50,000 people attended it. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

I see the bould Sorcha Pollak tweeting about her and her parents' attendance at the Ireland4all rally. They are from the Rathmines area, which has taken a remarkably tiny number of refugees/IPAs. I don't think the very exclusive school Sorcha went to is struggling under the weight of extra pupils and their needs either. Similarly, Kitty Holland who lives in Ranelagh, I believe Ranelagh has taken in 51, compared to 3,335 in Dublin 24. The hypocrisy of these people needs to be highlighted again and again.

• Advertisement

yesterday morning East Wall and the other commitees said they wouldn't be attending the planned counterprotest

What sort of individuals would counter protest an anti racism march?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

That's exactly what it was , a power grab. They only thing they were marching for is themselves and to label anybody who doesn't agree with them as racists. It's a march of narcissism and to extol the virtues of their own organaginations onto others. They preach no hate / division , but in my view some of the most repugnant people you will ever meet were out marching yesterday.

Not agreeing its a good idea to let everyone into a country that can’t cope with the amount of people it already has doesn't remotely meet the definition of racism. You'll will never see those people call the Ozzies , Kiwi's , Chinese or Japanese racists. Why not? Yet they don't think twice before smearing half the country with derogatory labels. That is what stoking hate and division really looks like.

Furthermore , people would be far more sympatric if it were family's , women and young children lining up to enter UK from Calais. Statistics show its majority young men. 'women and children first' really never seems to apply when it comes to folks "fleeing their inhuman living circumstances". Where they come from that old maxim simply doesn't exist and it's 'men' first in all circumstances, kids a distant second and women back of the line.

A third of them are Albanian by all accounts. As far as I know there's no real danger for people in Albania. No excuse at all. Anyone knows full well these people crossing the channel, for the very most part are economic migrants breaking the rules.

People love to bathe in the glow of their perceived decency and virtue, the religion of WOKE is little different to any other faith , most of it involves parroting - chanting slogans but doing very little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's exactly what the government want. Especially FF & FG. Both sides have made a complete shambles of it. FFG get a free pass. Great post, I hope all goes ok on the health front.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

NGOs are playing a blinder for the government.

Immigration fast becoming a major issue for the masses so let's divide them.

Focus on the "far right" (anyone with an objection) and people will take their eye off the numbers arriving.

Distract and divide. And all paid for by the tax payer.

They only thing they were marching for is themselves and to label anybody who doesn't agree with them as racists.

If you say so.

In reality though it was essentially an anti racism march, I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that to be honest.

Like you said none of us are racists, are we? We all deplore racism, don't we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The most hilarious thing is this has far outnumbered the anti immigration brigade significantly.

I didn’t even know it was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If that jamboree of virtue signalling yesterday by the professionally WOKE claas is enough to silence debate about our asylum policy ? ,we deserve everything that’s coming to us

the opinions of NGO grifters means less to me than those of Sam Smith

Lads, is it woke to not want to burn out people who look different than us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Public opinion on the matter isnt measured by the protests. 50k people protested yesterday whicj is great. bit its less than 1% of the population....its irrelevant to the larger question of ehether or not the publoc at large afree and support the current immigration policy.

The far left focus on the far right protests and the far right focus on the far left protests.

both are irrelevant.

its the 99% that didnt attend either protest that matter and have the power to influence govt

• Advertisement

12 people showed up to an Ireland is full protest in fermoy, a town with a population of 7000, you'll find less than 200 protesting on any given night in Dublin. These are absolutely negligible numbers but when no one turns out for these it's the silent majority agreeing with them.

Yesterday proved a lot more than Dee Wall screaming at an empty school trying to raise funds because Tommy ten names will only fly if there's extra leg room.

So are pathetic buzzwords that have no meaning, but I guess I'm just a woke NGO shill who wants my women attacked by undocumented unvetted men of fighting age.... At least that's what I read on 12 identically printed signs at an organic get together by concerned parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭enricoh

An economic downturn is certainly in the post for us. We have totally squandered our corporation tax bonanza from the last decade- god only knows how many quangos at that rally yesterday.

Companies now struggling to entice the type of immigrants we need to come here to work due to housing crisis. Government officials estimate 180k refugees here by year end , no struggling to entice them here! If MNCs start avoiding Ireland due to housing n changes in corporation tax next year the game is up.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/housing-crisis-risks-economic-growth-warns-business-leader/

Government officials estimate 180k refugees here by year end

You keep leaving out the pertinent bit. Up to 180,000

Anyway it has been revised down.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said the State may have to provide accommodation for an additional 30,000 to 40,000 asylum seekers and people seeking international protection this year.

I imagine you will be delighted at that, and using those numbers going forward, correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭enricoh

Higher tax bills incoming apparently, I'm sure our 20 somethings will stick around paying higher taxes to be outbid by the government intent on housing the world!

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/02/18/cliff-taylor-the-risk-with-temporary-cost-of-living-measures-is-they-become-permanent/

Public opinion on the matter isnt measured by the protests

Are you sure?

It is constantly been repeated on here that same 80 Irexit folk perma protesting have the government over a barrel, silent majority, 90%, etc?

Do you think they are talking nonsense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We have gotten so arrogant here on our MNC money that we think we are some sort of major super power now. Instead of using the profits to fix the multiple problems that have been going on for years we believe we can just throw money at the world and vanity projects to make us look good. We have literally had maybe 30 years of prosperity in this country in our whole history an we somehow think that we are in a position to squander money like it's going out of fashion. It's pretty narrow minded to assume that we won't hit difficulties again but sure who needs good public transport, working hospitals that staff actually want to stay in or houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I have called Roderic O'Gormans' multilingual invitations to the world during an ever worsening housing crisis, to come and be housed, as borderline treason.

I have little doubt that others would go much further with that sentiment.

There you go. You are falling for it hook line and sinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

It's hard enough for young people to buy a home, besides having to finance a government who will outbid them in its priority to house the Third World.

50,000 were prepared to get off their ass. It doesn't mean that people who did not protest disagree with them. Have you seen the price of diesel!? 😊

The water protests didn't attract a large proportion of the population to Dublin but they worked. It helped that most people refused to pay the bill for the waste, corruption and cronyism involved in the Irish Water setup.

I see that word 'treason' used in this thread. It's very very babyish. Define treason in this context please. What's your punishment for treason? Hung, drawn and quartered or perhaps you would prefer sterilisation? Only for O'Gorman of course...it's ALL his fault.

Treason indeed. Try some reason.

Edit: Hold on, I just noticed you said 'borderline treason'. Slightly less babyish. Thankfully for big bad O'Gorman it's only borderline. ALL his fault. Borderline.

🤣

Roderic O'Gorman, Green TD, Taoiseach, Tanaiste, Dictator of Ireland. Immigration Tsar. Big bad man. Eats little puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Talked to someone who is involved with one of the NGOs - they confirmed that they were basically “instructed from on high” to go to the March yesterday, or else... the threat was left vague.

The Unions and NGO sector are afraid of losing funding and cushy jobs, that’s what it boils down to for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You know there are many reasons for the protests.

I am sure a handful or right wing idiots are of that belief.

Most people have a lot of other very valid concerns of why these people shouldn't be in there community.

Why didn't you reference those concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This wouldn't be the same person who was reliably informing you the Burke family are local heroes in Castlebar would it? Possibly holding two pints in their hands at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

It was a celebration of parasites from all over the spectrum. Many are even at odds with each other.

There was one group chanting "women's rights are under threat". Nearby was another chanting "more refugees." But surely there is nothing more threatening to women's rights than importing thousands of male refugees from countries where there are no women's rights.

What a mess.

Yeah I don't think people are as entrenched in their opinions as some people. We need a rational debate on it but many people are too angry and entrenched to discuss it sensibly. At the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is a very valid concern by parents.

These people are coming from countries with backward views towards women and where sexual assault is more common.

Then add in the fact they are destroying documentation which makes it more likely they are hiding something.

We should have a zero refugee policy on these people.

Why do you think we should allow illegal immigrants into Ireland?

• Advertisement

WOKE types all of a sudden rushing to the defence of males , five minutes ago we had a “ rape culture “ and a “ toxic masculinity “ crisis

Advertisement