Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

They won’t be temporary. How can they be if Roddy expects 15,000 a year now. In fact there will be more I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The truth of course is that the vast majority will be going nowhere - several have even admitted this in interviews with the press. They're here to make a better life for themselves, which is all fine and all EXCEPT that then they aren't refugees, they're economic migrants and should be dealt with as such.

Even those who are told to move on/go home generally don't and it's all undermined anyway when McEntee has one of her Citizenship ceremonies and hands away Irish rights as if they were cereal prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Absolutely, And please explain how uncapped refugees & asylum seekers rammed into every town in the country is of benefit to us all?

Because the one’s im seeing allot arent far away from pension age & the rest i doubt they’ll work for min wage & pay all the bill’s & taxes Irish people are paying.

Plus the wages they’ll earn with all due respect will be so low they won’t be able to buy a family home here!

So what will they do? Exactly what low skilled Irish people do, and be better off on Welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

There will be more indeed

Roderic delighted to keep ramming more through regardless of public opinion.

He knows he is right and the public will do what they’re told

I think it’s gonna blow up in his face, unless they introduce something drastic legislation.

Or will these refugees be skipping local authority housing ques ahead of Irish family’s? That will end well I’m sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If you look on etenders, the contracts awarded are of 48 month duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Could we not just remove social welfare and housing entitlements (HAP/Social Housing List) from non citizens unless a decade or so of contributions/taxes?

The response is so inept and the usually throw/waste taxpayers money on it. I can't see any upside at all with what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The only upsides are for those profiting massively from renting out their buildings, the NGOs, the politicians who get the "attaboys" from our "friends" in the EU, and those here cynically exploiting our charity/foolishness

It's certainly not benefitting the natives or even those in genuine need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

Never said immigration was going to lead to a utopia so don't misquote me. I said the benefits outweigh the drawbacks so I acknowledged challenges.

The only evidence I've seen of 'clashes' and situations in neighbouring counties 'spiraling into the negative' is mainly down to people fear mongering with little evidence to back it up.

Can't agree with much of any of that. In rural ireland the addition of extra immigrants has kept schools open that would otherwise have closed. And I repeat my comment on the enthusiasm and application of those students as a positive. Some city schools may be u der more pressure but i havent read much about that. You going on about driving through towns saying everything grand is just silly. Every town has various challenges and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

I'd also stand by my comment on insular thinking when I see so much of the anti immigrant bile on here. If you have a balanced view on pros and cons then I'm not referring to you. If someone posts a series of comments that are mostly or all anti immigrant then yes that's they are insular and close minded in my view. Push back against that attitude is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Isn't it great that ROG can allocate more millions of taxpayers money to build those centres yet citizens end up on trollies for hours in every A&E in the country, some areas of the country don't even have a regular bus service, and childcare or elder care facilities are closing down because of a lack of funding. Seems our own citizens can go to the end of the line.

I could post you dozens probably hundreds of video’s of the negative effect’s of immigration in the EU if you want more evidence?

I'm interested in some of those links if they are to do with Ireland specifically and are credible sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I'll take bets that the next post of yours that follows some of those videos, will be along the lines of :

Oh but we have irish scumbags doing this too, no difference at all to what those non nationals are up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭twinytwo

That is not entirely true is it? A lot of ordinary people would be too afraid of being labelled incorrectly as a racist, far right etc.

The rest of your comment is another massive assumption.

Kinda ridiculous that you are already pre empting what I'll say before you've even posted a link for me to comment on. We do have violent thuggery here no one could deny that and some immigrants It's about whether there is a disproportionate amount of thuggery among migrants here which is what you seem to be suggesting.

On the contrary I think any genuine concerns of people ('ordinary' people is a meaningless term in my view) have been exploited by those against immigration and converted to fear.

You mean the genuine concerns that have been met with zero information/debate from government and were until recently all labelled as far right and racist by the MSM and government?

I would love see you explain how, pointing out that putting random people in the middle of no where with little to no infrastructure/jobs and zero possibility of ever getting any... is being exploited and converted to fear?

Virtually no one in the country has a problem with legal immigration. But what has occurred in this country is the last 2 years is absolute insanity. Logic, seemingly has not come into the equation at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Interesting piece in the FT today

"This oversight is problematic because misinformation coming from the top is likely to have a far greater impact than that from most other sources, whether social media posts by ordinary people, hostile actors, or commercial scammers. People pay more attention to what prominent politicians say, and supporters of those politicians are more inclined to believe it and act on it. We know this from years of research. Millions of Americans believed there was systematic voter fraud in the 2020 elections, that weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq, that human activity played little role in climate change, and that the risks and side effects of Covid-19 vaccines outweighed the health benefits. What all these misleading beliefs have in common is that they have been systematically advanced by political actors — by the right in the US. But in, for example, Mexico, there is plenty of misinformation coming from the left."

Forget technology — politicians pose the gravest misinformation threat (ft.com)

To say there has been zero debate is simply not true. You may wish to have more information fair enough but let's not pretend there has been no debate. I've seen concerned citizens interviewed on tv and print media. Similarly we have seen debates between politicians and journalists on the same media outlets.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends what you classify as debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Damien360

A debate consists of two different sides talking about an issue with opposing views. There has been one overwhelming viewpoint pushed forward and anyone else that pops their head above the parapat, even asking a reasonable question, gets labelled a racist.

Time and time again, people here have pointed out the immigrants as the more than welcome when they can immediately contribute to the economy and can support themselves. Those people come via the visa system. That is not who we are importing in vast numbers for the last two years.

It's interesting that the first posts this morning for a few pages were all the NGO cheerleaders "debating" among themselves were out in force.

When you have opposing views broadcast in media its debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If this weather keeps up it will drive a lot of people from country. I'm Irish and its enough to drive me from the place, can't remember the last time we had a bright day, I would even take a bright bitterly cold day over this weather. I'm sure any immigrants/refugees coming in would be thinking twice now after seeing this weather.

It's not true that anyone asking a reasonable question has been called racist. I've referred to people as misinformed and exploited. Id apply that to members of the public attending protests. But people knowingly and deliberately spreading misinformation without backing it up ( e.g. disproportionate levels of links to crime) i regard as racist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

What are the benefits of taking in more asylum seekers and refugees?

What are the benefits that could not be realised using a VISA programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The benefits accrue to landlorads / hoteliers / low-wage employers.

The costs apply to the taxpayers, tenants looking for accomm, and the tourism sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Refugees placed into small rural areas at short notice is intended to be a temporary measure until more permanent accommodation is found for them elsewhere. It's not the case that they are supposed to live there for years or settle in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭freebritney

In Ireland temporary has a different meaning to other countries, the USC among other things springs to mind. If there are 15k more refugees expected every year going forward by the ministers own estimation, when do you think we are going to get to the stage of having a surplus of houses built to the extent that we can move all those already in emergency accommodation to permanent housing?

Advertisement