Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The questions were hard hitting to be honest. It was one of the crew on Morning Ireland. However the answers were just scripted waffle from McEntee. Most of her answers had no relevance to the question. She is very weak but I notice there hasn't been a cabinet reshuffle for a long time...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Just become very strict - anyone arriving in any airport for example without a passport is not permitted entry for example and other more stringent measures

It’s a shame because it might result in some genuine asylum seekers that actually need help being turned away.

But the no limits everything for anyone types like yourself have burned up a lot of the good will that was there amongst the general populace. Attitudes to all of it are hardening now and again you can thank yourself and your ilk for contributing to that.

No doubt you think you’re “good” for behaving how you have but ultimately it’s a net negative for the migrants, as those championing their cause are incapable of doing it without pontification and moral grandstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

You do think we should leave the EU then? Because everything you've just said goes against EU law.

Attitudes are hardening? And? I couldn't give a ****. If people with attitudes similar to yours want to burn down accommodation facilities then that's nothing to do with me and has no impact on me.

There's no support for your desire to leave the EU, you just need to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭slay55

The disturbance last month on O’Connell street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

No I didn't hear it. If it's on Newstalk or RTE there is no point listening as all the questions are pre screened and the "journalists 😂" know what side their bread is buttered on. Maybe things have changed on Newstalk I don't know as I haven't listened in for years now but RTE will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭rgossip30

He was just stating fact .Protests too at asylum centers .Oh my credibility!!

It doesn’t go against EU law. Again, I never said anything about leaving the EU, I am pro EU, not my fault you’re incapable comprehending that there are nuances to things and not everything is black and white.

Ah right so anyone who’s in favour of tightening up on people abusing the IP system to circumvent visa regulations is in favour of burning accommodation down. Another cheap and transparent attempt to lump anyone who doesn’t agree with you into the “far right” category. I think you’ll find nobody takes any notice of your attempts at labelling people, they’ve lost all meaning.

Once again I’ve no desire to leave the EU, I’m sorry you’re only capable of arguing against your own strawmen.

You're emblematic of everything wrong with public discourse today. No engagement, no understanding, no attempt to see nuance. Just label them something bad, make up a bad argument they’re apparently in favour of and argue against that while remaining as smug as possible. You’re like an edgy teenager that doesn’t know shît telling everyone how world works. Think you know best but everyone just rolls their eyes when you talk.

Anyway this is all off topic, maybe next time if you want to engage in discussion I suggest discussing points the other person has actually brought up. Not just the ones you’ve made up.

I thought the far right didn't exist in Ireland though it's just good honest, decent people who care about Ireland and the people of Ireland who are burning down places of accommodation to ensure the African plantations stop?

You didn't say anything about leaving the EU, just that we should ignore EU law. There are consequences to that. You are made no effort to state exactly what you'd do, no effort to point out how it is capable with EU law and no figures or stats on how these measures would drastically reduce the current numbers. You're really not in any position to be criticising on anyone else standard of discourse. All you've done in throw out empty and meaningless soundbites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just like they don't look for failed asylum seekers and those with Deportation orders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭TokTik

Who makes EU law?? The EU.

If the EU listened to the actual citizens of the EU, those laws could be changed with the strike of a pen. If the EU wishes to continue, it will eventually HAVE to change its laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

listened to that interview with coleman who answered her questions for her and was only short of asking her to high five him because he agreed with everything she had to say. Only thing he got miffed about was the closure of piss ridden lane.

“I thought the far right didn't exist in Ireland though it's just good honest, decent people who care about Ireland and the people of Ireland who are burning down places of accommodation to ensure the African plantations stop?”

Again, something I literally never said or even implied. You just can’t help yourself can you?

I’m not arsed attempting to have a genuine discussion now. You’re still making up points I never made, you’ve tried to brand me a racist and pro arsonist and Irexiter over things I haven’t ever said.

You’re a toxic, disingenuous, bad faith fool and I’m not going to waste my time. Inaugural inhabitant of my ignore list - maybe you can find somebody else to waste their time with your rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭slay55

I can “see why” . This is not confirmation that I condone or agree.

Also, I care not about my “credibility “ perceived by the likes of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The government need to be a lot more upfront about what these run down hotels are getting paid for housing refugees etc .

Its believed hotel owners are getting ludicrously generous monies for housing people making millionaires out of the hotel owners and a lot of these hotel owners etc are friends of TDs and councillors. The money been paid to house refugees should be half of what it is and the hotel owners would still be cleaning up .

We know Citywest is a something like a 30 million+ a year contract , going back over the last decade the figure for housing asylum seekers in DP was over 200 million per year that figure must be multiples of that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/spain-create-emergency-accommodation-3000-migrants-2023-10-26

military barracks etc. being used for migrants in spain

you can also be kicked out of your hotel while on holidays to make way for migrants.

so yeah don't go to spain if you're worried about migrants lol, what a ridiculous idea.

migration to europe is going to keep growing exponentially in the coming years and decades, we ain't seen nothin' yet, and if i was from senegal or algeria or some other sh*thole, i'd chance my arm too.

Democracy in action. If countries don't like it, they can always leave like the UK and enjoy full control of their borders.

Or we can follow Denmark's lead and impose our own rules and laws

• Advertisement

And what ones rules and laws would these be that have been so effective?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

One thing is certain, Fg do not have the guts to do anything other than keep migrants coming

They are not allowed to work unless they have strict approvals about working,they actually deport 40% of failed asylum seekers, they don't allow unlimited appeals,if you do get to stay you must integrate Learn the language and get a job or face cuts to any benefits ,they deport foreign criminals.... If you have cash or goods they can be siezed to off set the costs of your accommodation and food

They don't let them get comfortable....

Time to follow .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

To quote Robert Carlyle, from Cracker...

"If you treat people like scum, they start acting like scum"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many of FGs biggest supporters own the buildings that are housing refugees so it’s been a great way to handsomely reward their own crowd , the money been given for housing refugees is obsence and is the biggest get super rich quick scheme in the history of the state !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

What's happening in Roscrea is nothing short of an attack on the citizens of Ireland. Its totally disgusting the way this is being handled by our supposed government. This surely must show people now that unless they act to stop this we as an Irish people are going to be a minority in our own towns and villages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mykrodot

dont know if you're listening to Michael Lowry on Drivetime now, Sarah Mc Inerney is savaging him, unbelievable stuff, almost trying to trip him up and call him racist!! But he's playing a blinder, standing up for Roscrea who already have hundreds of IPA seekers, international workers due to 2 meat processing plants in the town and hundreds of Ukrainians.

This hotel already had a wedding and gigs booked! It was open and functioning. Sarah McInerney is unbelievable with her "desperate,vulnerable people need a roof over their heads" approach. At this stage its the Irish in these towns who are desperate and vulnerable!

where is this going to end? In 5 years time will we still be allowing anyone and everyone come into the country, in planes without passports, or in the back of trucks on ferries? What on earth will this country be like then? We are so small in terms of Irish citizens we are going to be outnumbered far quicker than any other EU country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

I am shocked at the media who simply seem to be 100% onboard with the government narrative. I get that we have a certain viewpoint in the media in this country and it’s very pro FF/FG but even putting aside that surely they should be able to see at lease the other side of the argument a small bit? or is it a case they are all just waiting for the big goverment advisors gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep that is so true. We ain't seen nothing yet in relation to the mass migrations that are coming from Africa. We will see exponential growth, largely due to the climate change that few people seen to care about.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement