Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

that’s problem with SF…when you move into the same space as FF/FG you loose your core base. good enough for them they’ve sat on the fence that much they need a field hospital to remove the splinters from their arse.

I expect FF/FG and the green party idiots to form the next government. depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Good thing the general election isn't tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But no drop in support for the government. It does suggest that immigration / refugees is still only a fringe issue for most Irish people and not a burning priority. The Red C polls about refugee number are giving a hugely misleading impression of things - most people are not even discussing this in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But are the independents a 'group' when it comes to government formation, or will they be in the next Dail either? On paper FF & FG could have formed a government after the last GE with the support of 10-12 independents but it seems they never seriously considered that option, even though the Greens were demanding a much bigger input on national policy that the inds would have. Latest opinion polls suggest there is a good chance FF&FG will be able to put a government together with the support of Soc Dems, or Soc Dems + Greens + Labour, I reckon they'll thoroughly explore that option before they go anywhere near the independents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭Damien360

You keep repeating that but it's simply not true from my perspective. It regularly comes up in discussion even in the workplace. I managed to get out last night to the pub and it came up in our discussion and crossed over to two other groups.

As for polls. Having been part of a couple of red c polls where they actually come to your door of your home, the questions are a strange mixed bag of definites with no grey area and repeat of the same question asked slightly differently. Based on your answers, you may fit a demographic statistically and they will come back to ask questions for other polls. You are asked if you would like to partake again as they leave. Therefore I don't believe they have a wide enough base to capture a mood at all. It's the same people over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sinn feins have sat on the fence long enough waiting to see if it's best to Back the immigration policies or call them out. Totally no interest in what is best for the country just what is best for them. No changes coming here.

Check out this poll from Northern Ireland during the week. 90% of people haven't posted a single thing about anything political on any social media platform in the last year, not even one post. I suspect the anti-immigration lobby are overestimating support for their position - they themselves are making a huge amount of noise on social media and flooding the platforms with videos, retweets, opinions and so on, but there's not much evidence this is cutting through to the wider public.

One could easily imagine a scenario where the local and European elections take place this summer and the refugee accommodation thing is barely even in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,878 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wouldn't underestimate how vulnerable SF are on immigration.

I'll pose the question I always do. When is the last time you met a ra head who subscribes to SF's public position on immigration?

I would agree and it's interesting that the party most vulnerable on this are SF themselves. Those who will have immigration / refugees as their No.1 issue are not the types who would be voting for FF, FG or the Greens anyway, so SF are the ones most likely to suffer.

It's a real dilemma for them as they have spent the last 10-15 years pitching themselves as left wing and a 'social justice' party .

Can only speak for myself but the few SF supporters I know (real working class republican types, certainly their "core" voters), none of them subscribe to the party's public position. If anything it's the complete opposite.

Maybe there are some and I just haven't met them. It tells me SF have real problems on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭TokTik

May as well post Lesotho or Fijis stats. All three have nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland

As I said, it's a major dilemma for them. Can they adopt right wing positions on immigration and refugees and yet remain left wing on Gaza / Israel and social justice issues? I guess they never factored in immigration being an issue that could harm them with their own base.

Looks to me like they have boxed themselves in. It would be a bit weird to go right on immigration yet be on the left on Palestine for example.

Not saying that it can't work for them but it would be very odd and difficult to defend imo.

One suspects there may be divisions within the party themselves on this. Those who are mostly likely to be strongly sympathetic to Palestine are unlikely to be the ones who have an issue with refugees - but there may others who are feeling the heat from constituents over refugees and who are pushing the leadership for a change in direction.

Labour in Britain seem to have given up the ghost of even pretending to be a left wing or working class party. Under Starmer, they are much further to the right than FF or FG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭jackboy

Why would they? They are pro large scale uncontrolled immigration and if they get into power that is what we will get.

Policy on immigration cannot be changed at the ballot box. Most people know this. That is why we will continue to get seemingly contradictory polls. The majority will continue to poll against current government immigration policies but polls on support of the various parties will not change massively.

SF are down 4% in todays poll. To my mind the only issue that can have caused that in the last month is immigration. Nothing else has happened really I can think of to cause it. Most notable is the government parties are unchanged which means SF are leaking support mostly to independents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Speaking for myself I have no idea what there position is, and as for their canvassers and pr crowd they haven't the slightest idea of what line to tow when questioned about immigration.

Anyway whoever comes in better is be ready for immigration issues as I can see this being a number one issue in the country very soon.

Is that not just them returning to the norm though? They had been polling quite high for a while now, based maybe on bad feeling towards the government. People are now realising that all parties are aligned on mass immigration, so the impact of immigration on the polls should dissipate even more in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Another challenge of going right on immigration is that they'll be completely going again their likely coalition partners in SocDems, Labour and Greens. A shift right would be definitely palatable to FF though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

And they peaked at 36% 18 months ago, when nobody bothered about the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,759 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Do a Google search for Racket Hall Hotel in Roscrea.... see the absolute luxury that we are paying to keep these people in...

Nuts...

'Protection' wasn't it 🤐

Sure no wonder thousands are arriving weekly.... staying in luxury accommodation for free... have the government no cop on at all ?

I think the fact the government is mostly unchanged and the rise in support for independents is a pretty good clue that this issue is beginning to hurt SF. It's not surprising though given the communities where they get most support. The only surprise to me is that it didn't affect them sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭rdser

That's not specific to SF and I don't support them. But there are plenty of FFG supporters who dont support the party position. plenty.

SFs problem is they have been utterly woeful in opposition to a real piss poor government and have aligned their own policies close to those parties. That's not change, its just tinkering around the edges and people are seeing it.

It puts them firmly in the "they're all the same" boat for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

The Business Post analysis of that poll puts SFs drop down to their hardened line on immigration. I think the message of the poll is exactly the opposite.

SF are down 7% on Oct 2023.

Other Party, Independents and Aontu are up a combined 6% since then.

While all other parties reamined about the same.

As a party looking to appeal to protest voters it's not SF's harder line on immigration that has cost them - it's that they haven't hardened enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,759 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

absolutely no will to do anything for Irish citizens… will only get worse too..

has any irish homeless person or anyone in difficulty ever been offered this likes of this..? Racket Hall hotel, where they are put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

It won't look like that for long more I assure you...

However, no need to worry, - by the time they're finished with it it'll have paid it's owner enough to knock it to the ground and build an even bigger version to house even more of our uninvited unwanted "guests"

That gravy train jes keeps on a rollin...

Every era ends though, often violently when the paymasters run out of money...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

4% swing against SF on immigration and no swing against the other parties would suggest this is not a major issue for the Irish public. That is less than one in every twenty people polled....there's not a shred of evidence this is seen as the No.1 issue affecting the country.

Maybe not number one issue but an issue that most have a strong opinion on. As I said before, peoples opinions on immigration policies cannot have a major impact on support for the various parties, because all the parties are aligned on policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It was number three on the list last time when it was declared that it wasn't a big issue by the same poster who keeps repeating the same claim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Was it not on a par with No2, percentage wise?

Advertisement