Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭tom23

i’d say that won’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Did I say that .There should be restrictions as the numbers coming are increasing. Help at Source is an option and supporting the US in it's global wars does not help .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Still waiting for an answer...

So you agree that we have to take in unlimited numbers? Simple yes or no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭rgossip30

What expertise and proof have you that they are 100% genuine .The true genuine Ukrainian refugees are those living in East Ukraine the rest opportunists .I know a number of asylum seekers who were not genuine and got refugee status .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Would Ireland be able to accept half a million or a million refugees? Absolutely not - we wouldn't have the accommodation, infrastructure or services to support anywhere near those numbers.

But the question is beyond hypothetical. Most countries in Europe usually have an immigration population of say 1% or 2% of their overall population at most. The general understanding is that these are just about manageable numbers - if countries were asked to accept say 10% or 20% of their population numbers, the entire refugee system would probably collapse overnight ; countries wouldn't even be able to afford such a thing, never mind provide the services and infrastructure for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So in Irelands case that would be either 50,000 or 100000 so as we're already over that we're full ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Do you realize that Ireland is one of the most indebted countries and this "status quo" is only adding to this debt by increasing repayments for generations to come? What make you think you can saddle future generations with even more debt?

Common sense approach is needed not empty slogans, excuses and promises.

How do you propose stopping people coming to Ireland and claiming asylum? Around 300,000 people fly into Dublin Airport every week.

'Full' is a very strong word, I'd say 'stretched' is a better one. Clearly Ireland wouldn't be a position to take in say another 100,000 Ukrainian people in the next year....the emergency accommodation simply isn't there for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is quite easy actually. Complete overhaul of our social welfare should do the trick in no time.

Why else would majority of them skip numerous EU countries and heading for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Or just tell them the truth in the meantime - you CAN proceed but we have no accomodation for you (you may up in a tent/in a field), and the costs of living are such that you'll find it difficult.

I dare say that many will decide their refuge can be found somewhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭minimary

Shows what a soft touch we've been. Hope this is also applied to people who show up without having gone through the airport

"His solicitor, Edward Bradbury, told the court that up until about two weeks ago, he had clients arrive in similar circumstances, and they went into the asylum process."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

It’s all just smoke and mirrors. The guy will go join the queue of the rest of them for tents and freebies once his two months are out. In fact, it’s a bit of an absurd and ridiculous situation if they start imprisoning for 2 months the ones who destroyed their documents on flights, while the majority of the others, who came into the country “unchallenged” (i.e. through NI), with or without any documents, are left in peace. Not only because for them it’s just another annoying but doable obstacle on their way to happily ever after, but because of a silly discrepancy where the transportation means of getting into the country “irregularly” then seems to make the only difference dictating as to how the justice system treats them.

Smoke and mirrors. No substantial change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Not only that, but I'd be surprised if they even do two weeks in jail. Talk about a waste of time and resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Results of latest Ipsos polls in today’s Irish Times

Very few people appear to be content with the current policies and approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah shure the IT... No better than Twitter/Gript that lot! Far right with an agenda...

... At least that's the response such polling numbers would have elicited 6-12 months ago.

Now though it's inescapable. The electorate have had enough and this Government has failed on all of the key issues - even the feel good social referenda and tree-hugging isn't masking it anymore!

It's about damn time! Some of us have been calling out these problems and inevitability of the consequences for much of the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What did it take? Tent city and the inability to get a night in a hotel room in a basic hotel for less than the average weekly wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

A poll is useful to gauge public opinion, but dont jump to the conclusion that it will change anything.

As mentioned before, if no major party offers any form of immigration restriction, dont expect to see a change in policy from the govt, or any prospective govt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Question for you?

Is that what you would like to see... A political party that offers restrictions on immigration?

Reason why I ask is I have seen this sort of post from you before and would like you to clarify your position, if you can please?

It is confusing that you appear to be pro immigration but are emphasising that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Emblematic

You say, stretched but not full. At what point would "full" be the most appropriate word in your opinion? It must be less than 100,000, as you say we would not be able to take that number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree with this.

Can you clarify please @BlueSkyDreams as you appear to be constantly sending out conflicting messages.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

I do think a big problem is assuming that 84% all want the same thing. I have negative comments on immigration - having 1,000 people sleeping on tents is a disgrace and they should all be provided with proper accommodation. I'm not in "send them home" and "this is an planation" camp though.

In a previous poll the Irish Times asked what percentage of people would vote for a candidate who shared strong anti immigrstion views and only 30% said they would be more likely to vote for that candidate. The complete lack of emergence of a party that proposes strong anti-immigration views is the most striking thing for me.

Seriously? Because they don’t have a reply that tally’s with your exact view of the world they have clarify? Mother of jaysus… i’ve read it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it would be a good thing to get Clarity on what exactly that means. There's interpretation here about what exactly the 84% means. I am not sure I agree with the interpretation here and think it would be welcome to clarify.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks Goldengirl.

I am certainly pro-immigration, but the point i am trying to make is that regardless of a persons stance on immigration, if no major political party is supporting a change in policy on that front, then no change in govt approach is likley to occur.

Regardless of which way the wind is blowing in the polls.

So those that rejoice in the polls reflecting a predictable swing against immigration, shouldnt celebrate a change occuring too hastily.

No problem Anna.

I replied to GGs original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fair enough.

To be honest Anna, maybe @tom 23 needs to clarify?

Who are ya talking to, tom?

Its hard to know really..

Never a quoted post, just random comments?

You are missing the point.

If all 3 electable parties have a pro immigration stance, then the polls can read 100% against the current immigration stance.

It still doesnt mean there will be a change in policy, simply because there is no political threat to govt policy.

No party is offering an alternative approach so the point has no real bearing on govt formation.

• Advertisement

The referendum, local and european elections will tell the story of where the current Government parties policies will be if they loose and do badly in the elections. In fact of the three political parties in power I can see Fianna Fáil taking a tough stance on immigration because these are in for a shellacking of the electorate. They will change their stance very quickly because they are good a smelling what way they wind blows. The greens are gone. Good riddance. FG will struggle (they too might get tougher again and add more countries to their safe list).

At some rate the pro immigration can only go on for a period of time before the house comes crashing down because we Irish are good at that.

Advertisement