Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

Harris today on the freeing up of capacity in the asylum system:

“What we’re now seeing in relation to Ukrainian people specifically,
    is every day 15 people from Ukraine on average are seeking state
    accommodations, but 45 people from Ukraine on average are leaving state
    accommodation,”  he said. 

Harris said by his math, roughly 175 fewer Ukrainian people in state
    accommodation each week will free up accommodation for other people
    seeking asylum. 

That's nice Simon, but as usual withe RTE Pravda and the rest of the shill media, nobody is asking where they are going? Something tells me the housing crisis is only going to get worse, since they have to be leaving state accommodation to live somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭airy fairy

We don't know where they're going but I'd reckon after 2 years of handsome welfare payments, without the need for Ukrainians having to stump up for food or otherwise within that time, they're off home with their savings or able to put down very very generous deposits on accommodation up for rental. I'm sure if the Ukrainian supports were cut to what new arrivals are given, we'd see a massive exodus from state accommodation leaving room for 'genuine' asylum seekers.

Post edited by airy fairy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes….. but are holding your breath whilst dedicated asylum centres are built? All the evidence and past history points to this promise to being no more than an attempt to deflect criticism and get to/past the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭prunudo

IPAS, are a horrible arrogant department who are above the law, as any community or citizen who has tried to go up against them will attest too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Scar001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

The largest hotel in the town and several holiday to-let properties are already full of Ukranians. It's a real kick in the teeth to Ballyvaughn, the tourism trade has already been decimated in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's a depressing spot these days. Monks and the tea rooms doing a good passing lunch trade and that's about it. A ghost town after 4pm. A few high end Americans up in Gregans, nobody out in OLoughlins or Hylands.

The biggest bit of excitement are all the new buses for the Ukes and IPAs arriving and departing full to the brim.

I visit a fair bit with work, and when I had the family up in the Burren over Easter I didn't even stop there. Once I would have.

It's utterly destroyed now, like Lisdoon.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Reported recently that €600+ million spent in 2023 on accommodation for refugees and IS applicants of which about €13 was for state owned accommodation, 4% of the total.

Just who is paying for this transfer of assets to private individuals and companies? Is the EU contributing from a fund or is it all from our revenues gathered?

Just how many services/ infrastructure could this have delivered to Irish society? What have we had to forego to do this? What is the real cost to the ordinary Irish family?

The politicians better have some answers when they come looking for votes, those that are in government and those who blithely support all this from opposition.

We'll lose business in Westport this year, already orders down and from what I see going one way for the moment. Inevitable with current policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Likewise, my favourite village on the West Coast; modestly sized village, offering the Tea Rooms,[a real hidden gem with probably the best natural surrounds for any restaurant in Ireland], Logues and Hylands. Was usually a hive of activity with Burren ramblers etc etc. Now, when I'm back there it has become like a ghost town!!!! Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm against calling parties that want immigration control /reform far right.

We need at least Two immigration control candidates to be victorious in the European elections.

We need the 'far right' to achieve at least over 5% in the locals. Organised parties

I'm not saying immigration is the number 1 issue but unless there is a break through the same bullshit will continue under FG/FF/SF/SDP

I support the Ukrainians in their war but they should not be given permanent residency.

I don't support the refugee system. A guy skipping ten nations is no refugee

I am for legal immigration

Yes I agree broadly as would many others but say it too loud and you're tarred 'far right' here by the usual crowd.

Fortunately, we have the privacy of the ballot box to express our disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They probably have a better chance of getting house than the poor old Irish person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I was there last year, couldn't believe it. Hard to find Irish people in the town, cafes, shops all being manned by foreigners. It was quite sad. I felt outnumbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,129 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Irish people frequently don't want to do these low paid jobs - this is not the 1970s. There are very good reasons why there are high numbers of non nationals working in retail and hospitality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

50,000 on top of the terrible surfeit of housing that is already crippling a generation of Irish young people

This is beyond out of hand

Government have done absolutely nothing substantive to curtail this, they are totally spineless

Will take a general election for them to realise just how much of an issue this is outside of their bubble. In the meantime we’ll see more of the same. Useless.

Lots of talk about refugees arriving at the airport without passports but it seems the real issue is at the Irish border with NI :

Sure, we bent over backwards during the Brexit negotiations to keep the border open at any cost. Little regard comparatively at the time for protecting Irish business or thought about consequences of an open border given the Brexit stance. Sinn Féin policy - Brits Out, everyone else welcome on the mat.

It's a tricky one. It begs the question how they are managing to get through UK immigration (in London or Manchester or whatever) without any difficulty and why they are not being stopped. If they don't claim asylum in the UK, they have no legal right to be on British soil or to move around the country at will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭suvigirl

the border was not even an issue in brexit negotiations, due to the GFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's the same with France not stopping immigrants getting to the UK. Why would they stop them leaving? They are leaving their country and they have zero incentive or intention of stopping them doing that.

Unfortunately for us there is no other landmass to hop to from here. We are the end of the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Unfortunately, when the UK implements the new Rwanda policy very soon and starts deporting, prepare for the amount of "refugees" coming down from the North. Even the most hard-nosed far leftist pro-immigration for all rabbler, will get a stiff reality check shortly afterwards.

As the saying goes, "we ain't seen nothin' yet!"

The 'border' is always an issue - a sacred cow that must not be compromised.

Saw a couple of UA registered cars in Dublin yesterday. Puzzled as to how those fleeing war and who are war refugees manage to be driving Ukrainian vehicles on our roads. Bit at odds with the concept of a war refugee.

But given that they are here, what is the state and Gardai doing to ensure they are re registered, insured and taxed properly. And is it safe from a public road safety pov to have these left hand drive cars on our roads on a lengthy basis? It's not like someone coming over on the ferry from France for a fortnights holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Interesting how Poland are threatening to send Ukrainian men of military age back to Ukraine. I can imagine that lost of these men won't stay long enough in Poland to 'qualify'. we might get a few more arrivals in Ireland shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Presumably if that does occur then the people on here who go on about "open borders" will be immediately calling for a hard border with the North. Consistency and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭suvigirl

How could you possibly be puzzled about that? A war refugee with a vehicle? Wow. What other quicker way of moving you, your family and your belongings then getting into a car and driving? Or do you believe that everyone outside Ireland is poor and doesn't own anything

Every vehicle on the road are subject to road traffic legislation, so I'm sure they get as much attention as everyone else, if not more. Of course with the lack of Gardai, at would.be great if some Ukrainians joined AGS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

We "bent over backwards" on the Brexit negotiations?!?!??!!

It is just utterly remarkable how people see things. Ireland's stance against the absolutely jingoistic, anglocentric stance of the British government towards the border was probably the most significant assertion of Irish interests in opposition to British interests at the international diplomacy level in the history of the State.

The proposals the British government were making regarding the border were nonsensical, unworkable and amounting to little more than a vain hope that Paddy would roll over to make Brexit happen and the socioeconomic costs of it all would be confined to Northern and Southern Ireland and sure who gives a f**k about either of them on "the mainland".

Honestly like, if there is anything at all that Ireland has dealt with as well as it could have over the last decade, it was defending its national interest amidst Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭minimary

I assume that a lot of them are coming to the UK on tourist visas or fake passports and then travelling on to Ireland via NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭minimary

What are the bets if our idiots do decide to get rid of visa free travel from South Africa that they do something like give a 6 month notice period during which the amount of people using that route will balloon

https://archive.ph/kvQ1h

Advertisement