Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Legislation isn't changed on the basis of what some people on a thread want.

I'd expect any half way reasonable government to consider other factors, such as benefit, cost and risk.

In this case if the 'benefit' is likely to be high ie you successfully reduce number of IPAs, the cost and risk will be huge.

If the 'benefit' is low, ie you don't successfully reduce number of IPAs, the cost will be wasted, with still some element of risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭suvigirl

ahh, ok so its not the services that are an issue, or the supply, but the fact some people presented without documents?

that i believe was just under 4000 last year.

and actually uk citizens dont need a passport to enter the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

People are not being deported if they're refused, why are you saying otherwise

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/04/24/fewer-than-100-deportations-of-those-refused-refugee-status-since-start-of-2023-mcentee/

Vivienne ClarkeWed Apr 24 2024 - 14:40

Fewer than 100 of the 7,300 people refused refugee status since the beginning of 2023 have been deported, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has said.

and how do you acsertain which are the genuine ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Wow just wow,

Had to double check my coffee wasn't laced after reading that first. Huge obsession with race there "white"…
    No matter big or small, recent or ancient a war doesn't discriminate with race.
    War is universal, unfortunately not the case for intelligence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's been movement between the UK and Ireland for many decades, and a lot of returning Irish/EU/UK are coming here with accommodation, jobs and resources already in place, and we know by virtue of of their passports and I.D that they are who they say they are, and immigration officials can tell if there's any criminal warrants out for the arrival.

Apart from that even you would agree asylum seeker arrival numbers are growing, and many coming from "War-torn" countries are coming here with complex social and medical needs as well as immediate housing needs, not tents, things that regular movements of citizens through our borders don't require.

Recently the policy has been to focus on deporting people who committed crimes. Personally I think that's acceptable given the amount of AGS involvement required in forced deportations especially with current shortages and more pressing security issues.

Previously when we actively tried to mass deport people, I don't have exact figures, but I believe we only deported about 25% due to the inherent difficulties involved, and the cost was significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Which part of the post was nonsense?

I mean, you're saying I'm "attempting to say" something that I absolutely never said. I simply pointed out that references to European cities being unrecognisable or in decline because of migration. That's not saying anything is fine about anything — that's simply saying that if someone is going to talk about cities being unrecognisable or in decline, then it's hardly a crazy proposition that historical context can be referenced to actually examine that.

As for the "invasion" stuff. Spare me. Save it for the highbrow conspiracy banter on Twitter. Even on a practical level, Western nations pose far greater destructive threat to the Muslim world than they pose to us — by a distance measured in lightyears. And Western nations have exercised that imbalance of military power in spectacular fashion, and multiple times of Muslims have been slaughtered by Western militaries, Western incursions, Western occupation and Western weaponry in our lifetimes than the casualties and destruction inflicted by the Muslim world on the west.

But yeah....they're invading us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

Why are we giving anyone that just shows up here €455 a month?

• Advertisement

With no cooking facilities that barely covers the cost of food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Given our geographical location and flights, there's literally not one legitimate AS rocking up here.

Every single one if them is economic by nature. Some may have started as genuine AS but once they chose to onward travel to Ireland they became economic.

This is undisputed fact but you'll still get the bleeding hearts talking pony tying themselves in knots claiming otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

International obligations….the Irish emigrated….the famine….you know yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

And yet all those that had bad things to say about the residents of Newtownmountkennedy last week won’t say a word about these ones.
    Camberwell college of art is just up from where the videos are taken and it always had a “fight the power” element to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

Legislation should be a changed according to necessity.

Do we have a housing crisis? Yes. Emphasis on "crisis", its not the "housing spot of bother".

Do we have an economic crisis? No. The fact its completely out of sync with what an economy should be, I'll skip over it.

So you slide one scale up to the extent one scale slides down to acceptable levels, ie perhaps less of an insipid "booming economy" is the correct thing to have less of a housing crisis.

This is nowhere as difficult as people make it out to be. The problem, in my opinion, is that too many people have gotten too used to the cheapening impact on labour and inflating impact on housing prices to "let it go".

That's all you need to know about legislation, does it work or not. If not, which it clearly doesn't, change it.

As I said earlier, despite the current fiasco, a similarly principalled infrastructure-dictated migration policy should be implemented.

If X infrastructure is built in 2025, then 80 or 90% of it should go toward extinguishing the housing crisis, and the remaining 10% means X number of migrants be allowed enter the country in 2026.

You can't say fairer than that. Indeed, if things were as honest as purported to be, then this should have been the approach from the get go. And then there'd be no crisis, no arguments over migrants, no debates over housing shortage, no repurposed hotels, no tent ghettos, none of it.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today. So enough of the nonsense and let's get this situation fixed. Change the legislation, simply *make* it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a very very small thing but even that email domain says something… equality.gov.ie

WTF has "equality" to do with this save for yet another example of moral grandstanding? It's also inaccurate given all the supports and exceptions that have been made on this issue.

Also, contact via email - I assume then that they'll be using some of our donations for SIM plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

deleted

All it does is encourage more people to arrive. You give more, it becomes advertised back around the world, more people arrive.

It's harsh. But it's also reality.

You can bet that people smugglers would show the likes of those numbers to migrants, they'll be blown away by the amount of money and encouraged to chance it.

If I wanted to stop pigeons coming to my garden, I wouldn't reduce the breadcrumbs I put out everyday, I'd just stop altogether.

So yes it sounds harsh. But what can you do? Self destructive virtue is no virtue at all.

actually, most immigration officials glance at an Irish or UK passports. Even if we did scan UK passports, since Brexit they are no longer part of the SIS system. So they would not be aware if warrants exist for them.

neither Irish nor UK citizens need to have accommodation, jobs or resources when they come into the country, as both are entitled to all welfare supports automatically.

yes, asylum seekers do have needs, 13,000 last year, not so many compared to other demographics entering the country also accessing services

"That's all you need to know about legislation, does it work or not. If not, which it clearly doesn't, change it."

Are you sure? Would it not be dependent on the likelihood of what your changing it to working or being some way better?

What your arguing is the equivalent to saying, 'we have a housing crisis, let's ban houses and everyone go live in the fields', or 'lets have a free for all on killing people to take their houses'

It's batsh*t crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You are either deliberately ignoring the context of the conversation here or you haven't actually read the conversation.

There is no "obsession" with white Europeans in my post — the comment I was responding to made reference to migration making certain cities unrecognisable. I pointed out that the historical trend (right up to recent modern history) demonstrates destructive events and tumultuous violent episodes perpetrated at times where Europe was more mono-ethnically white in its makeup.

So when we talk about migration / multiculturalism making Europe unrecognisable (something that is generally inferred as being unrecognisable in a negative way), it's perfectly fair and reasonable to examine the state of Europe when it was more monocultural.

Read the rest of what I wrote. Adjustable sliding scales of acceptable.

And ultimately it still comes down to necessity and simply needing to change legislation.

What are you going to say," it's more complicated than that"? Yeah, and? It still needs to happen.

but yet you didnt answer my post when I pointed out the rates of immigration into the country last year? which of those people do you refuse to allow in and how do you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

'sliding scales of acceptable' don't come into it considering you're arguing we're past the point of talking about risk, consequence, likelihood of success etc.

What you're essentially demanding is that whatever 'solution' the anti-immigration mob comes up with at this point, the rest of the country needs to follow without question.

Like I said, it's batsh*t crazy.

What's to answer?

The government are paid to govern.

We are in crises due to it.

Similarly, if I drop a car into a mechanic and they're being paid to do their job, I'm not about to get into a years long argument about what they have to do and how they argue the quangle has to be replaced with a bobnit and therefore what I need fixed doesn't get fixed forever.

Just do your damn job and if you can't get, get out of the way and someone oelse will, because I'm not about to just give up my car based on your incompetence, ever.

In other words, if all you're good for is pointing out how existing legislation doesn't work and can't be changed, then you're useless at fixing problems. Worse than useless, you become an impediment to necessary change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Just to be clear this €113.80 a week is for Asylum Seekers WITHOUT ACCOMODATION etc . Its €38.80 a week with accomodation

"If IPAS is unable to provide you with accommodation, you will get a temporary increase of €75 in your Daily Expense Allowance (DEA). This means your DEA will increase from €38.80 a week to €113.80 a week."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/services-for-asylum-seekers-in-ireland/direct-provision/

well you came up with the ideas, thats what i was asking about. if you dont have answers thats ok too

You're talking out of your hole man, you are inventing some mad narrative all on your own and then calling it mad. What are you even talking about when you say "murdering people to take their homes"?

What is it you don't get about infrastructure-dictated migration?

Are you a landlord? Are you closely related to one? Are you or someone close to you receiving money to house migrants? Are you or anyone adjacent to you involved in an industry dependent on cheap imported labour? if any of that were true, then yes, I could certainly understand you thinking that fixing this situation is "mad".

Otherwise, whatever the hell you're waffling about with murdering people to take their houses and such, that's the craziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭dmakc

Are the Danes batsh*t crazy? Is the UK looking to deport these chancers batsh*t crazy?

The anti-immigration* "mob" represent >80% of the country, and this will only grow with time.

100 IPAs refused accommodation today, so we'll be paying them €114/week as an apology whilst our government tenders to the country to buy up private property to house these chancers - and this is only an alternative to making billionaires out of hoteliers.

Maybe our current policies are "batsh*t crazy"? Maybe you are?

(*in reality this is anti-IPA)

Advertisement