Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"There is no obsession with white Europeans in my post", mentions white over 7 times in the original post then 3 lines down "demonstrates destructive events and tumultuous violent episodes perpetrated at times where Europe was more mono- ethnically white in its makeup. "

Read some history, China Africa Americas, the world since mankind etc… extremely violent, bloody history including Europe!

I'll leave it at that. Won't be derailed or sucked into someone's point of view regarding race and war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

According to NEWSTALK there are a good few newbie asylum seekers Qing up at mount street again. Handed that letter above telling them no room at the inn and you cannot stay here. The mess continues. The Garda talking to newstalk guy on ground felt the buck was being passed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

I'm not an entire government, and neither do I have the responsibility of being a government, and neither am I paid for being such.

Just like I am not a mechanic and am not about to pretend to be a mechanic.

What I am, however, is a customer, an employer. I tell the worker what I want, and what I need, and then they proceed to do the job they are already paid to do.

There's little point to anyone being a smart arse expecting to get policy document length explanations of detail while the person asking for it can't and won't do it either.

The problem is simple in essence. The government should go and make it happen, or get out of the way until someone does make it happen.

Infrastructure-dictated migration is a supremely fair and balanced way forward for everyone, and anyone who wants to muddy the water with cant-do-thats deserves major side eye.

Anyone in government or adjacent position who gets in the way of such extremely fair legislation proposal should have 20 magnifying glasses put over their finances and everyone connected to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

That line of reasoning is batsh*t crazy. The jury's still out on the Danes and the UK.

Given the unproven and expensive nature of both approaches, it would though be daft though to blindly 'copy and paste' either approach without consideration for the consequences and the specifics of our circumstances.

Where are you getting that the anti-immigration mob represent anywhere near 80% of the country? Polling for any of these kind of candidates or parties would be in the very low single figures I would think.

Worth repeating for clarity:

Just to be clear this €113.80 a week is for Asylum Seekers WITHOUT ACCOMODATION etc . Its €38.80 a week with accomodation

"If IPAS is unable to provide you with accommodation, you will get a temporary increase of €75 in your Daily Expense Allowance (DEA). This means your DEA will increase from €38.80 a week to €113.80 a week."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/services-for-asylum-seekers-in-ireland/direct-provision/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Using wartime as your baseline state is completely unhinged. Your argument is that Berlin was reduced to rubble in 1945 so 80 years later we should destroy ourselves again by different means. You can rebuild any building but once you irrevocably change the ethnic and religious make-up of a country, you can't put that genie back in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

The current disaster is because of the deluded ideas of the pro-immigration mob. I'll take my chances with the other side.

• Is this the UK influx rearing it's head. The Govt were probably advised they are en route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭boetstark

I will ask you for second time what did I say is incorrect. Because you are insinuating that I am lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Yes we know that. If there is no accommodation they are handed 113 per week while they live in a tent or couch surf, or if moved to citywest etc its 38 per week.

Next question is how are they paid, cash or into a bank account, with the possibility they can head to another country once they start receiving payment? Do they have to "sign on" like the dole?

This is interesting:

Sky News' Data & Forensics Unit analysed recent posts concerning unrest and mentioning anti-migration hashtags, finding the majority originate outside of Ireland.

Re Posts mentioning Newtownmountkennedy

A search of X posts mentioning Newtownmountkennedy shows only 75 were posted on 24 April. But on the day of the protest, 25 April, this spiked to 26,801 posts.

As social media users discussed the violent confrontations the following day, the number of posts mentioning the town peaked at 53,907.

Posts from users based in Ireland were the second most common, accounting for 20.9% of the total. While 9.6% of posts came from users based in the United Kingdom.

Of the five accounts that attracted the most engagement on posts including the term Newtownmountkennedy, three were based outside of Ireland.

The most engaged with account was an Irish activist posting footage of the event, the second was The Liberal, an online publication in the country.

Tommy Robinson, an English far-right activist, attracted the fourth most engagement. In total, his posts mentioning the town were engaged with 42,500 times.

ALOT MORE DATA IN THAT ARTICLE, HAVE A LOOK ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It may only get worse as UK started rounding up failed UK asylum applicants ahead of a one way flight to Rwanda yesterday. For any of those in scope that don't want to go there, borderless Ireland has to be where you will run to. The NI border areas could become another Calais....

According to an article in the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday, some of them still believe they will be getting a nice house etc here.

UK wants to make their problem with refugees transiting through EU/France an EU problem, and Ireland need the EU on board now. This is heading for a major diplomatic incident that Brexit avoided.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmm.. I occasionally use the services of the likes of MailChimp to bulk email customers. 99% of my customers are Irish based but when I view the various delivery & open reports, the USA figures prominently. From which I conclude that certain popular email services even though used in Ireland are ascribed to USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

I don't see anything surprising about that at all.

There are threads in this very section talking at length about events in other countries. And then there's the added confusion of vpns and such.

Add in that anything concerning migration is rapidly becoming a worldwide topic of argument, along with the ubiquity of internet, it only makes sense.

If an earthquake happened in some small town in Japan, what would the data of commentary be like as to origin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, until and if the Rwanda policy starts to bite we could be taking quite a large hit. The government here needs to get the finger out and stem this as best they can. Perhaps those who clearly work in this area on this thread have ideas as to how to control the inflow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

A secret briefing paper from the Department of Justice said the State urgently needed to resume deportations as the majority of applicants for international protection were economic migrants.

When the DoJ say 'the majority' they don't mean 51% - it's more likely 80%+

You've been shown figs regarding an almost zero deportation rate too, so perhaps we're not the one's posting false info eh - so maybe think a little bit before throwing out this:

The amount of misinformation people believe about refugees without checking facts is frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,332 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You said we should limit immigration, I only asked which of the immigrants you would stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭TokTik

Europe for the past 80 years has had relative peace. How has Africa done, even with Europe and the US pouring trillions of our own money into it?? Something we did not have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭TokTik

There’s a conspiracy theory thread for stuff like this. No one is monitoring you, tracking you, or surveilling you. Nor would a national ID card enable this. Over your dead body, or your live one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think its people already here that couldnt get accomodation in Swords/Citywest etc. So they returned to the IPO office.

I thought the IPO office was closed though....so not sure why they would be bussed back to Mount St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭brickster69

Where are they going to deport them to without the agreement of countries to accept them ?

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

I think govt estimates are 20k + this year. First 3 months were over 5k, so we are on track for 20k + this year.

Apparently there is only enough govt staff to cope with processing around 14k applications.

As for accomodation for 20k asylum seekers this year? Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

They should desist with "First Time registrations" at the IPO office in city centre. People should be making their claim at the port of entry. Allowing registrations at IPO office is enabling human trafficking.
    Setup a prefab desk at the ferry ports and at the airport, let them register there, driven straight into a DP centre.
    With registration right at the port, it should be an easy and quick task to check the passenger manifest.

If they are lying about their entry, that's a big strike on the AS claim.

• This makes me very uneasy. Why does it feel like some renters could end up being pushed out of their accomodation.

The Govt have lost their minds. Very dangerous territory.

It's actually really hard to believe this is happening right now. Doesn't feel real.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fresh-drive-to-buy-up-properties-for-asylum-seekers-as-up-to-100-migrants-on-mount-st-told-no-beds-available/a2073617781.html

Agreed.

It doesnt make sense to bring eveyone into the city centre to process applications, when we know full well we cant cope with the numbers in terms of processing or accomodating them.

The summer is likley to produce a spike in numbers, as it has done previously. Add to that the Rwanda issue and numbers will probably hit new highs over the next few months.

We cant house the numbers we are receiving now, so centralising applicants in the city centre before we hit peak numbers later in the year makes zero sense, unless we are determined to create a Tent City in D2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭trashcan

No she didn’t. It has been a feature since at least the 1999 Immigration Act, which dealt with Immigration of failed asylum seekers prior to the 2015 International Protection Act. It has never been possible to remove a failed asylum seeker ( or indeed anyone else illegally in the State) without a Deportation Order. The system under that Act is that a proposal to deport must be issued. This gives the subject three options: They can consent to the DO, they can voluntarily leave before a DO is issued ( meaning that they can try to come back legally without a DO hanging over them) or they can make representations as to why a DO should not be made. If, after consideration, a DO is not made, then a person was always given leave to remain.

Honestly, there is some amount of commentary around this subject by people who don’t know what they are talk8ng about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We may not have a hard right party that people will vote for, yet, but our government are gradually making such an option more palatable for voters by the day.

Yep. Its always been the inevitable outcome. If a govt doesnt address and engage with an issue which is really important to people, it doesnt go away, it carries the electorate away with it.

• Advertisement

• My mindset has shifted a huge amount in the last 48 hours. I'm sure there more like me.

We badly need a new right of centre party that is FFG mould except they are competent and have people with real world experience in their ranks. Not PR bluster Tik Tokkers or have beens.

Advertisement