Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're fleeing Death/Warzones and extreme poverty then a tent and food in Ballsbridge is like Heaven…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not at all. I just love balance and fairness. I hate when people are hounded off threads. You don't even know my viewpoint but I sense you think I am pro open borders or some such. In this thread you either nail your colour to the mast immediately or you are pro open borders. You have to admit there are a lot of loolahs involved in the anti immigrant movement (excuse the bland term).

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,235 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I see some of our best and brightest were out protesting outside Simon Harris's home.

Funnily enough the sign on the right almost reads a bit like:

South Dublin says 'NO CLOSE THE BOARDERS'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They absolutely have a choice

Let's be clear on that… no-one is forcing these people to stay here and sleep in tents on the streets or in parks.

They are just as free to leave the State and try their luck elsewhere in any of the countries they likely passed through to get here in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

So you want to house them in Europe, Ireland and in their home countries? These "centres" would be overwhelmed immediately when people realize they don't have to make the long dangerous journey to Europe to have a chance to suckle and the teat of the European Tax Payer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

🤣🤣🤣

Actual cosplaying nazis in the national party or whatever ta fudge they are called this week involved with protests

Actual racist actions by protestors at sites.

Racists recording themselves at the dublin riots engaging in racism

Waves hand but there is no racism involved.

I'm all for a reasoned discussion on immigrants but if your idea of reasoned consists of sloganeering and closeted racist beliefs well some of us don't consider that reasoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No, we all realise they are real human beings. We just think that these human beings should be back in their own states of birth and doing their bit as citizens to make them better places to live. Not much to ask is it, to improve your own state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You must be reading a different thread so! The strong impression I have is that this thread is heavily weighted in terms of moderation towards those who are fully supportive of immigration and the more the merrier.

• Advertisement

Please tell me they weren't protesting at Harris' home too? Its such a stupid tactic. Have they a brain between them? Plays right into this shoddy government's hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭twinytwo

No one has been hounded off the thread - not everyone agrees with each other but everyone is able to hold their own. It is an internet forum after all - words do not hurt.

You referenced the "clearly intelligent ones" - as you mentioned balance, i was only querying you stance on everyone else? I do not know your view point, thus why i did not reference it one way or the other.

There are loolahs on both sides unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, after all Irish people in the past didn't emigrate when Ireland was in the sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭boetstark

They had a choice. Don't come to a country that cannot accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Well if you support Arsenal football club you may have noticed the Visit Rwanda logo on their shirts. The Rwandan government have spent a fortune trying to convince tourists to visit so I presume it can't be too bad.

Amongst African nations, it's considered a relatively safe and functioning country though the bar is not so high in that part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yea doesn't seem right, the more these "flash-mob protests" appear at peoples homes the more it strengthens the Government proposals for harsher laws against protestors…hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Like I've said a hundred times in this thread, not one of them is fleeing anything. They've all been in various European countries for months or years at this stage. This idea needs to be put out to pasture.

This passed through argument is boring and not relevant.

The countries you claim they passed through also take a huge allocation of refugees, more than Ireland.

People may come to Ireland for various reasons, English language, connections already here etc.

They're not obliged to stay in the first country they land in and it would not be fair if they all just went to the first European frontier country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Every single one of these people has chosen to leave safety and travel to ireland. That's the facts.

Your Helen lovejoy impression is nonsense.

Imagine putting you and your child at risk crossing the Channel on a dinghy from another EU safe country just because you prefer that country.

These people should not be given sympathy.

They should be arrested and deported.

• Advertisement

It's true though.

Ultimately people rightly look after their own welfare not their country. It's a basic human survival instinct.

Thats is being massively disingenuous though.

You know full well that the vast majority of people have not been involved with any of that.

Up until recently far right and racist were thrown out at anyone even questioning the **** show that is our current asylum policy.

Arrested for what? What crime?

It's not illegal to arrive in a country and declare asylum?

Do you not think it shows that these people are in a desperate situation if thy're prepared to risk crossing a channel in a dinghy?

I don't undertsand how people how post hear have any sympathy, understanding or human compassion.

Thankfully Twiitter and boards is not representative of Irish society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Absolutely not. A sizeable number making the hazardous journey have no right to be in Europe and are economic migrants.

Overwhelmed? What do you think is happening in Dublin at the minute? The government want to buy/rent properties to house them. They will likely buy/rent properties at exorbitant prices because they have no choice.

I do not want to house illegal migrants here, that's the point. You go to your local centre in or near to your home country and are assessed there, and accommodated there. The Irish government and EU can fund short term accommodation there for all I care.

If you are coming from a verifiable warzone, you won't have to wait long, no more than a couple of days, and you should then be responsibly transported to a safe country who can sustainably accommodate.

What should not happen is people in tandem with traffickers are encouraged to risk their lives making hazardous crossings of the Mediterranean for example. This benefits no-one, the refugees are exploited and tens of thousands have died because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've followed the Rwanda debate a little in the UK.

Partly it was delayed for so long because the Tories couldn't find any credible evidence that Rwanda was in fact a safe country to deport people to and faced legal challenges. To get around this they signed a treaty with Rwanda declaring it a safe country and used this to push through domestic legislation. It still appears to be in breach of UNHCR.

I think they're still expecting last minute challenges on an individual level to Rwanda removals. I don't think these legal expenses are factored into the £2 million per person cost for initial deportations.

Double Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭boetstark

Apologies but I have a different slant on this thread. Look at the posts that are getting most likes, for an insight into how people are feeling right now.

In my opinion the biggest stakeholders in this mess , the taxpayer that sees amost 50% of their earnings taken by the government.

And this money is being squandered and fecked away on batsh#t projects that will have no real benefit to the average citizen.

And then just to crown matters welcoming every tom dick and Harry hard luck story from around the globe into a system that is broken and at capacity. But sure we have our obligations to EU and UN and every bleeding heart NGO.

Where are their obligations to the citizens that get up every morning and work damn hard week in week out and are still living at home because they cannot get on the property ladder.

Where are their obligations to that poor girl and her family that died in UHL. A hospital that is having millions pumped into it yet is still an absolute mess.

No they much prefer to swan around the middle east grand standing about a conflict half way across the globe. I'm absolutely fuming at the manner in which this country is being run. And the disdain these gombeen politicians have for us if we dare question.

Far right my ass.

I despise those groups protesting, always have, always will.

So what's your point?

Are you trying to lump me in with them? If so you will gain an instant report.

People throwing around the racism label like confetti is usually what ruins discussions like this. Eg Anyone who is against open borders must therefore be racist which of course is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's illegal to arrive illegally and/or to destroy your documents on arrival.

Desperate situations in France/spain/italy/Germany?

• Advertisement

I wouldnt worry about Rwanda, its nothing more than a costly PR stunt. If it wasn't already guaranteed, the local elections should point to a labour government in the UK shortly which should see an end to the Rwanda idea.

Advertisement