Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The reality is, that it's gas to see those constantly trying to play down the public anger at how these policies are being decided and implemented.

Any political observer and all the parties will have noted that whilst not many 'immigration' candidates were finally elected in recent local/ Euros - that they got substantial votes, stayed in the game till later counts and saw regular party candidates eliminated before them.

That's the political reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

We might be in for quite a number of "slightly odd solo runs" from Sinn Fein over the coming months.

The populist movement took that second quota from Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein need it back. There will also be other factors in play here but there's a necessity and an urgency for Sinn Fein to focus on the voters who are now giving their support to populists. If Sinn Fein do come for that lost second quota it's going to play a big role in how things pan out for the populist movement. And for Sinn Fein itself.

The point of this piece is not to predict what Sinn Fein will do, right now the leadership themselves probably can't predict that. Instead it's just an attempt to recognise and sketch out an opportunity that exists for the party, a party with a dire and urgent need to reposition itself or face electoral ruin.

They have that pressing motive to change, they have the means to do it - a disciplined party structure that others envy - and they have the opportunity to move in to a voter rich space currently dominated by disorganised and inexperienced amateurs.

In the old days, when Sinn Fein was grassroots led, this would have happened already. Whether the current progressive leadership are ready to change - in some cases betraying their personal political creeds, and in some cases accepting demotions in order to sell the changes as credible - is anyone's guess. No one knows. The public don't even know who will ultimately be calling the shots on this or, if other voices are still being listened to, how progressive those other voices have become. You can't unhug a tree.

Here's something key. If Sinn Fein do come after those second quotas, if they do choose to enter the space currently occupied by populists, they won't be fighting populists for control. They'll be nuzzling up to them. And that's the reason they stand to have so much influence over the populist movement. They'll be muscling in to share the space. And to voice the same message and especially to give shape to the same anger. If Sinn Fein shift in this direction they will be the populist movement's de facto allies and spokesmen whether invited to be or not. Comparing these seasoned intelligent political operators with the unstructured disorganised newcomers that make up the populist movement it's obvious with whom the advantage would lie when it comes to shaping the narrative and directing how things evolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

The reality is also, that since the election, it seems to have energised the left into further attacking and downplaying the rise of the right. They've doubled down on their efforts to ridicule and label people with opposing views and claim it's a tiny minority.

The other reality is that the right wing candidates need to be smarter about what areas they represent in future elections. They need to be more organised and put egos aside so they can stop fighting for the same votes.

The immigration issue hasn't gone away. They're moving the numbers around the country, massaging the figures, like the deck chairs on the titanic. But eventually it will rear its head again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

The political reality is very few of then got voted in, that's the political reality. It was a complete and utter failure right across the board. Despite immigration, allegedly, being such an important issue with most people, most of those people had no interest in voting for people and parties who offered a drastically different alternative. Even one of the MePs who was elected and championed as a man of the anti-immigration rise has pretty much turned his back on them. Says it all.

Post edited by Augme on

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Hmm. Let's define the far right. Try anyway. I would say they are parties who are against immigrants and against refugees totally.

I would think the irish freedom party and the national party fall into the above.

Personally I think a lot of people are against refugees but for legal immigration.

I wouldn't describe such people as scum.

There are protesters who take it too far but the vast majority of people who are worried about demographic changes could not be described as scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭rgossip30

So do point out how he is wrong .Your solution seems to be it will be grand .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A mechanic from Ghana, the 34-year-old said he had to "run for his life" on a "dangerous" journey through Libya, Italy, France and Belfast, arriving in Dublin over a week ago.

He heard about the encampment on social media.

"IPAS gave me a voucher when I arrived and said they were looking for an apartment for me. So, we just have to live on the street until we get a place"

Must be like winning the lotto. We are being made total mugs of is what I think

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2024/0629/1457294-tents-asylum-dublin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Far-right economically means for a much smaller State, lower taxes, etc.

These parties are nationalist parties, I think maybe that is a better description?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The guy mentioned above is Tom McEneany - Effective Aid Ukraine

https://effectiveaidukraine.org/

He was on Drive Time last week. Dropped a wee clanger when he pointed out that the avg wage in Ukraine is the equivalent of €350 per month and we paid €220 pw + medical + accom/meals etc, so it's not hard to see how we got hammered

Having said that - if I were leaving Ukraine, I know exactly where I'd head to - If a Govt is so incompetent to do this, then it's on the Govts head

Listen at 08:30

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22409768/

This is the moment (25 Oct 23) when RTE discovered the discrepancy between Ireland and the other EU countries - of course it helped that every other news outlet had been talking about it for a couple of days - RTE, always late to the party

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

What, other than a lack of cajones is stopping us from hiring a few planes, loading them with failed applicants, attaching an auto- deploying parachute, and just launching them in the general direction of suspected country of origin?

If the point you make is just repeated again, again and again… it doesn't make it right. It's a view you & others hold. The majority, certainly as represented on this thread differ. And don't have to agree with the views you proffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

Its a view proven with facts though.. Again, little to no support for candidates who presented a vastly different approach on how to deal with asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Gamergurll

A mechanic from Ghana, the 34-year-old said he had to "run for his life" on a "dangerous" journey through Libya, Italy, France and Belfast, arriving in Dublin over a week ago. /quote

Man, I can't believe Rte actually wrote that paragraph, it's so blatant it reads like a skit

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BLFOTR

They are just trolling us at this stage. They are safe in the knowledge that if they keep pumping out the government narrative then the money tap won't be turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

If the majority in the real world really did differ then the election esults would be a whole different than they were. You not being able to accept that is your problem.

That is not totally a fair comparison. Ireland has one of the highest prices in the EU. However that being said it was a ridiculous policy to offer full welfare. It's also a ridiculous policy to offer free third level. I do support the idea of bringing them here but if we can't afford decent psychology services for kids (just one example) then how come we can afford this?

I realise that recruitment of psychologists is complex etc but I still feel the point is valid.

But people it's time to sxxx or get off the pot. Either vote for a party that is clearly anti refugee or join a party but simply ranting here achieves little.

At the moment I'm sitting on the pot because I still see housing and health as more important issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭emo72

Accept what? I looked at the election results and also the votes people got, the transfers and the order they were eliminated in. There is a whole lot more aspects to an election than just the bare results!!

That's all water under the bridge for now but will feature again in the next election. And I do expect the main parties in FF, FG & SF to all adjust their policies and stances to try and counter rising popular support for candidates and parties with reservations about our current refugee & asylum systems.

The others like the Greens, Labour, SDs and PBP will stick to their cead míle fáilte stances and will be ignored by the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You can't accept that this is nowhere near as much of burning issue for the electorate as it is for you personally. You predicted a massive kicking for the government in these elections and have glossed over this not happening ever since. One post you are dismissing these elections because the likes of local councillors are only elected to fix potholes. Another post you're trying to big up candidates staying deep into the election that you've earlier totally dismissed. Now you're making more predictions, this time about the Greens, Labour, SDs and PBP. Which is based on absolutely nothing other than this what you personally want to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Apart from the communities directly affected by migration, why would the rest of the population vote for local councillor candidates who are mostly a one-trick pony on immigration? (Though, I did listen to Pepper make very valid points on community enhancements).

What is a local councillor going to do? The planning for these centres have been circumvented by Government - so a local councillor's hands are fairly tied when it comes to objecting to them.

The place for people who want to get voted in with a stance on seriously tightening up immigration policy is the Dáil, or at least it was until the weasels in FFGP threw that monkey off their back and put it in the EU's court last Thursday.

I think most voters on June 7th voted 'for the candidate' and not 'the party' and still, FFGP saw their share of first preferences sink, albeit they thought it would be worse so spun a story of 'the centre holding'.

One would be forgiven for thinking that FFGP played a sneaky strategic game in holding the EU Migration Pact Vote after the June elections so they wouldn't give candidates vying for a MEP office a boost. I think that move will come back to bite them in the rear end in the GE.

It was a cynical move and it has pushed the migration crisis back to the top of voters concerns once more. The GE will be very, very interesting. Expect an exceptional summer for kite-flying and vague promises from SF and FFGP on the crisis as the GE will be held soon after the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

There was no option in our locality in the local elections to voice your concern regarding immigration.The vote does not IMO represent the concern on the ground.I think Sinn fein will blink first and start to more accurately represent current sentiment as I imagine they are getting it in the neck on doorsteps,Ivan yates is hearing the same from FG sources,anyone who thinks the current and probably worsening situation is acceptable to the middle ground are IMO deluding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What amazes me are the people in Ireland who defend AS, even when the AS themselves describe their situation, like above, which shows that their claim is bogus, and that they are, in fact, economic migrants.

I know many people who continue to defend and support AS, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,610 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/06/28/more-than-100-migrants-without-papers-come-before-the-courts/

A total of 109 non-Irish nationals who presented at Dublin Airport between February and May without the required travel papers were charged with offences under the Immigration Act.

The charges and subsequent court hearings resulted in 84 convictions, six remands in custody, bench warrants being issued in four cases, and one conviction coupled with a fine. Some 14 cases before the courts were struck out or dismissed.

The statistics were included in the May monthly report of Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to the Policing Authority, published on Friday.

Mr Harris told Policing Authority chief executive Helen Hall the prosecutions followed “an identified emerging trend whereby increasing numbers of non-nationals [sic] are arriving at Dublin Airport on a daily basis with a false travel document or with no travel document”. He said the arrivals charged had disposed of their documents on the aircraft or in the terminal before presenting at immigration

The Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) began a pilot operation at Dublin Airport in February, arresting offenders under the Immigration Act and taking them before the courts.

———-

Im happy something is happening but this shouldnt be allowed to happen in the first place.

Globally something has to be done with this farce of burning passports. They have to have a passport to get on a plane so the airline should be keeping this information on file and the minute these chancers show up in Ireland without a passport, get the information from the airline and bang back to your country you go without taking up much wanted space in our prisons and wasting our tax payers money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From what I've read, the people being prosecuted for these offences are those who the authorities strongly suspect are economic migrants trying to fleece the immigration system (which is fair enough).

It's definitely not the case that they are charging anyone who arrives without documentation or even who has destroyed a passport. The people who look and sound like real refugees are not being charged with anything, even if they have no documents on their person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We chase our own out of the country for lack of opportunity, yet are free to welcome those from abroad with vouchers and apartments.

A sick mental disease pervades our ruling class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's a rather strange article from RTE. There are very few IPAs from Ghana in Ireland and only a small number of them are ever granted asylum (poorly researched by the interviewer I would suggest).

In the end the electorate had a choice to vote for clearly anti immigration candidates and largely didn't. Facts are facts.

At a general election it might be different but some of the same dynamics are at play. People might not like FG the party but like the local FG guy etc.

I just can't see any far right Party taking a Dail seat.

Independent Ireland is very vague on immigration. Are they anti refugee as such??

• Advertisement
Advertisement