Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭reclose

I don’t disagree with anything you say there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

SF are now admitting they should have listened regarding immigration. I still wouldn't trust them but at least if they got in it would force FFG back to their right wing roots to regain power. We see it in France. Macron losing support a few years ago forced him to crack down on Islamism in France to try keep some votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭reclose

I don’t think there is a viable alternative at the moment.
    There is definitely votes up for grabs if a party came out and said they were putting significant brakes on immigration with strict entry criteria and enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

If that's the worst that comes of a situation this evening, then once again it's a credit to our police force imo. How often do you see Spanish police, french etc batoning people or firing rubber bullets fairly indiscriminately, without even arresting anyone.

Imo, the guards used force to effect an arrest here. So there's an allegation of some sort for which he was arrested (and is presumed innocent of, of course)

I agree with you, we don't know what the man did beforehand, where he was coming from, or what weapons he might have had on him, or could have. If it takes a few slaps to get him to comply, I'm for it.

I think the fact we don't see it very often in this country means, when we do see it, it's quite shocking.

So if Hermann Kelly isn't going to be putting up videos of lads throwing petrol bombs at Garda cars, but can find the time to put up Gardai arresting someone, good luck to him.

I'm the first to acknowledge btw that that is more than we'd usually see. But without knowing what the man did, what they perceived he may have had on him, or whether or not he told them to f off and took a few moments to get his hands behind his back after what he did, I won't criticise the guards in that video.

Also, I've seen countless clips of Gardai facilitating peaceful protest, and women and children standing about.

I think situations like this, is when police should police. And there's an awful balance to be had there. This has been going on for 12 hours or more at this stage. In other countries there'd have been a baton charge on anyone standing in the way after an hour or two -I've seen bars at 9pm cleared by Spanish police and women on the head cracked, marching through the place indiscriminately, never mind talking about a riot with state assets burned. (I don't support that police approach either btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Exactly it's a simple question that one would imagine would but the first thing that would spring to mind.

This flow can't be turned off like a tap, I'm unsure if it can be managed at all tbh.

Again why are we get buried in this quagmire, why do we need to house the world when we can't house or cater for the existing population in hospitals and schools.

Why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why would you put one of these centres in coolock, an absolute powder keg as is.

Have to agree it's easy to say these people just want trouble but if that was the case why only riot now?

There's usually a reason behind the outrage. Putting in 500 refugees until coolock is the reason.

In November it was 3 kids attacked. Year's ago it was the Queen parading up O'Connell street while still in control of our north.

The excuses thrown around are lame and are used as a deflection tactic away from the actual issue. A bit like how 75% of the country was far right for the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Are you actually advocating reprisals against wrongdoers?Do you know irish history ?do you not realise that the policy of reprisals by the British during the WOI was the biggest recruiting tool to the independence movement,do you want to make martyrs of the rioters,think before you post nonsense here.

We don't need to is the answer. Study Denmark. They are the blueprint and they have all the answers. Those people have a heart of gold but they soon realised good intentions don't always reflect reality. Irish people just want this stopped before the issues that dogged other EU countries dog us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You keep going on about disadvantaged areas

The Malahide Road is not disadvantaged . There are some pockets off it , Darndale, Clonshaugh and parts of Coolock that are .

These areas are selected because, guess what, they have the space to build . Many other areas are so built up you couldn't build a garden shed .

But you wouldn't know because you are not from there , or probably not even from Ireland . Just importing generalised crxx from wherever .

• Advertisement

It's a derogatory term for ethnic Irish travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Soc_Alt

are you actually making an association between the scumbags who are purposely out looking to provoke violence again gardai to the War of Independence?

I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Cody montana

But if that was the case there would have been a significant shift in the results of the last election.

There wasn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

Hi Golden maybe you know ?

What's the strategy what's the plan ?

Sure there must be some plan surely we are not importing thousands of people with very little job prospects & no accommodation without a cast iron plan.

Just wish someone would let me in on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Another day, another town, same result. Mixed emotions watching it all unfold, looking at live streams and tiktoks knowing full well what was in store for the community, a group of uniformed thugs running around intimidating local people, spraying innocent by-standers, pushing over elderly people to the ground. All in the name of a failed immigration policy, a policy that is deeply unpopular but those in power won't engage, won't listen and won't admit they have got it wrong.

Well done lads, you've created another group of citizens who have lost the trust in the countries police force.

Did you read the posts before you jumped in with 2 feet,I was responding to a poster who wanted to see the Garda engage in illegal and criminal activity against wrongdoers as part of the justice system.I was reminding him of our history and how when the state sanctions reprisals and terrorism against its own citizens it usually backfires.I am not surprised that you failed to comprehend the posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's curious how RTE are prominently reporting that a few Gardaí were injured today at Coolock, but there is no mention of injury to any of the local protestors. Were no members of the public injured and are some injuries more important than others?

Ah I think you reminding us just why the Blueshirts got that name..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The public by and large aren't overly concerned with injuries sustained by criminals engaging in riotous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

rte/pravda desperately trying to show government it will spin their bullshit no question.given the fact they need millions of €€€€€€ to keep them afloat is just a coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You think those "citizens" didn't already detest the police?

Adorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

One thing is for sure, they aren't following protocols on use of pepper spray.

Not at all most democratic protests are planned for weekends so that more people can attend .

That"s when you will get the people who feel strongly about something AND have time off .

Protests on a Monday morning won't be attended by working people .

I think that is fairly simple to understand for you .

Are you saying that the more moderate views in Coolock don't count ,?

Edit typo most

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Would have thought that the idea of the news is to report on what happened not what people are or are not interested in.

That's a kinda dangerous read - so you're saying that the Gardái public order unit can more or less do what it pleases. As long as they beat 'baddies'? Maybe you'll be a 'baddy' some day when this crap show comes to your area??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes they have recently .

No people aren't getting louder only certain groups would like to think that .

I expect we will work it out ourselves so you can go back to your keyboard and talk to or about another country .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes, the policing and security service of the State should deal firmly with subversives who are at the end of the day primarily concerned with overthrowing the State. Ultimately that is what these people are, riotous criminals with no regard for the rule of law or respect for the institutions of the State. They are out of tune with public opinion, not the other way around.

This might come as a shock to you, but the vast majority of decent citizens are absolutely OK with riotous criminals getting battered off the streets.

Don't get me wrong - there were no doubt honest peaceful protesters in Coolock today. Those weren't the people attacking civilians, Gardaí and other public sector workers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭sekiro

All the guys will come here and help boost the economy. You'll see.

They'll all get high paying jobs and pay lots of taxes and buy loads of consumer goods and help pay for all the old people's pensions.

Then they'll all buy new homes that will be built over the next few years. New homes for everyone!

Then of course the Irish ladies will be lining up to start families with these fully integrated gentlemen.

You'll see. In a decade this country will be so much better than it has ever been.

Dublin city especially will be great with the canal all cordoned off so nobody can go for a nice walk there anymore. Nice walks by the canal are for right-wing scumbags anyway.

People always said that a big problem with Ireland is that we have so many young men with no facilities and no supports and no prospects and so they get angry and hooked on booze and drugs and cause social unrest and harm. So it's obvious that bringing in thousands more of the same young, hopeless, male demographic is the solution to our problems.

We used to worry that Ireland had a "rape culture" but adding lots and lots of males with bad attitudes regarding women will make things a lot better.

It's going to be great. It's going to be fine. Don't you worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If i go around setting fire to stuff and shouting GEH DEM OUU and BURN DEM ALL, while being recorded and recording it myself like a fcking eejit, I'd expect to be battered by the gards. Then again if you're that stupid, you probably wouldnt be expecting any retribution.

Advertisement