Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Did SF explain where the Asylum Seekers would be housed, if the audit finds the location is unsuitable?

If there are 3 sites for consideration and all fail the audit, where do the asylum seekers go?

Is the audit decision final? If a site fails the audit, does that mean the asylum seekers cannot be housed at the site under any circumstances? Or is it just a reccomendation they are not housed there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I understand your point now. Assumptions are fine as long as you agree with them. I’m glad we clarified that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

David Norris coming here for help is exactly what I want the mountains of men and women coming here to do. Nearest safest port of call. In danger in northern "islamic" Nigeria. Seek refuge in Lagos or Cameroon. Coming from Georgia...oh wait Georgia, Albania etc were all safe countries anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well not quite. It would be inconsistent to have the opinion that the majority of current applicants are not genuine while also having the fear that the genuine ones would overrun us

Personally, I would say that the number of genuine ones would be dwarfed by the number of foreigners who come here legally, qualified and working in various industries. So if you are worried about some kind of "dilution" or "replacement" then we would also need to be cutting those back regardless of the affect on the economy. You might take the blinkered view that "shure we can get an Irish person to do that job" but that isn't the point. The mult-nationals that are here want to be in a country where they can employ who they want to do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Nobody disagrees about speeding up the process. Or acting upon the results of a process

But the government aren't doing that and none of the other parties will either. And ask yourself who is making money off the back of that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SonicSuper

It will end in tears it always does. There isn't a place on the planet were forcing the multicultural fantasy upon people has worked. Our folly is believing we are somehow different, somehow special because we are Irish. We are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭giseva

That's a discussion for another day, but if wanting Irish people to be largely represented in their own country now and in the future, is a bad thing then we're worse off in this country than I thought!

Maybe said multinationals may f@#k off out of the country and take their business with them when we follow suit in becoming a cesspit due to the spectacular effects of multiculturalism.

Our maybe we'll be ok in that regard and what's happening all over Europe won't happen here because we're Ireland and "shure" everyone loves Ireland. As I said, that's for another day.

The fact remains soft touch Ireland is open for business for anyone calling themselves an asylum seeker, whether they are here fleeing persecution or for other reasons, with no sign of closing.

That's not good for anyone, well actually it's great for the scammers and NGOs and hoteliers, and.....

Post edited by giseva on

And who is going to make money off the State being prevented from putting them into converted warehouses? Because they are going to go somewhere, and unless you and your buddies are going to get together to buy property and allow AS to live in it for free, the owners of that other property are going to be quid in thanks to all the protestors

That is why you process them quickly and you fuck the chancers out as soon as possible. Current protests are only delaying said processing and prolonging how long the AS can stay here, and ironically, making the country more attractive.

It is not the only factor delaying the processing, but it is one of them. And it is frankly distracting from the other ones.

This is it. The Asylum Seekers have to go somewhere. A failed audit for an accommodation centre means either the audit is overruled, or the IPAs are housed somewhere else.

In any circumstance, the IPAs do not dissapear.

• Advertisement

All that will happen is that they will get their sought after "own door accommodation". Instead of the State trying to accommodate and process them in block of 500 at a proper facility, it will have to buy 500 apartments spread around the place and put them into it. Making the processing even slower again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Once they stay away from D4 , from the river to the sea Dublin 4 will be free!! and most of the schools are fee paying, every little helps

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Mr Trump is talking a lot of sense.

How can we ban him?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Incorrect. State will not be buying apartments but tents since that is about all state can afford anyway.

And that may actually slow down amount of arrivals.

What is a proper facility though? A hotel in Drogheda, which was obviously put there for a reason. Or an industrial site in a deprived area? I would say neither of these are proper facilities for the problem of housing asylum seekers.

So once again, get hard on borders and stop these people at the airport. "Sorry bud, we currently aren't in a position to help right now, we may be in the future, stay tuned for an update from Roderic. Where's that you've just come from? Another EU country? Off ye go back there so"

In the meantime, similar to the site in Naas, build detention centres and call them IPA centres, call them Butlins if you like, but don't plant X amount of men in a deprived area, or keep the new economy going by paying hoteliers to house them with tax payers money.

No need to build or buy apartments for AS, just because a silly man made a silly comment, it doesn't mean it has to be honoured!

I think you missed the point. We already need to build apartments in bulk for the ongoing housing crisis that FFG have created. Mr Trump is saying that if we cannot build large immigration centres to house asylum seekers during processing (which is chronically slow) that they will eventually be put into those same apartments at the expense of Irish citizens. They won't all be tented forever. That's the reality. I am sure it's already happening.

Well I hope that isn't the case, as to do so would make a bad situation worse. It would result in those sceptical of RO'Gs promises and watching from afar to quicken their travel plans and learn the cupla focal on the airplane (wait, how'd you get on that plane?) or boat.

Genuine asylum seekers, having been found to be so, should not have to live in tents outright.

That doesn't mean that Ireland can or should accommodate the AS of the planet which is where we're heading unless there's a bit of that common sense our fearless leader was on about.

There must be a time when the country says that's it. How can it be any other way? Taking an infinite amount of AS, even if they're all genuine doesn't help Ireland, quite the opposite.

Post edited by giseva on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Government just needs to grow a pair and tell these boys no matter how long ya tent here ya wont get nothing. Get a translator if ya have to.

Some gobshite made a mistake in government.

Saying own door accommodation in 4 months. He was joking.

• Advertisement

It is already happening. Take a walk around mountjoy square, gardiner street, belvedere place etc to see it in action.

Oh, and i don't think it's dog sh1t on the ground either 😕

ROG gone by end of year. All his decisions are approved by cabinet.

Infinite and Planet. Who is saying that? Emotive posting again just when we were making sense.

If asylum is granted and the IPA is given refugee status, they will be housed in time. They dont live in hotels or B&Bs forever.

Thats always been the case.

New government after November election. Will it be better? Use your vote wisely.

Who do we vote for, in order to change things. The only viable option is SF and Mary Loo this week re-iterated what is basically govt policy is how SF sees this

We need a systematic change. But it ain't happening

What a fantastic idea. Rather than keeping those 500 men in a central place where their movements can be somewhat monitored and their applications processed quickly, let's give them tents and allow them to roam the countryside with no idea of where they are or how to contact them for their processing.

After 6 months of wandering, said men can then legally avail of their rights to work here and begin putting down some form of roots so that they have a sob-story to prevent their eventual deportation.

Where can I sign up to your newsletter?

But it is infinite is it not? I've certainly not seen anything to suggest otherwise!

I've seen targets, which seem to increase year on year. I've seen nothing to suggest a plan to stem or curtail or limit the amount coming into the country. Have you?

That, to me, would suggest infinite. And if I were an AS, and I was offered own door accomodation at some stage if I came to Ireland, from a far away land on......the planet, why wouldn't I go there and join the party?

Of course they do. Put yourself in the shoes of a random civil servant processing an application. Would you be able to get through more applications per day if you just need to go to work to the old Crown Paints building and have all the AS there you need to talk to that day, or would you get through more if you are walking up and down canals and looking into tents to try to find Barack for your 3pm appointment.

Would be fairly sure the applicants have to make an application via the IPAS office on mount street and civil servants aren't going chasing them

• Advertisement

You can do that if you want, but if you don't make reasonable provision for them to travel to interviews etc. then you are giving an easy goal to any applicant to challenge a refusal in court. "Judge, my client did not know about the first interview because they did not have email access in their tent. For the second one, they were unable to make their way from the canal to the interview location because they don't know their way around Dublin etc. and so on and so on"

Advertisement