Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Link please

3rd time asking this Q. How do they know which border if they claim asylum in Helsinki with no papers or memory of travel/home? The Russians accept them on a hunch is it?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

Steenson says " the woke liberals will tell you we need immigration to run the health service but if we didn't increase immigration the way we did the health service wouldn't be under the strain it is under". He did not say what you said he and furthermore he was not advocating a mad brexit solution.

I'm not continuing this further, listen to what was actually said in the interview, read my original point and maybe you'll understand that you are raising points that are not pertinent to my comment. I hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭giseva

A quick Google search returns much of the same info, Finland passed a law allowing their border guards to block entry to those claiming asylum at the border with Russia.

I've not seen footage of this being enforced but maybe it looks like a game of asylum seeker tennis between the border guards of each country.

I would bank on the law alone being somewhat of a deterrent.

I may be wrong but I think the poster means physically stopped at the border, therefore, the border guards know exactly where they've just come from, and just like a bouncer in Coppers...... you're not getting in!

That situation may differ from an asylum seeker having gotten into the country already and then going to an IP centre or equivalent.

Post edited by giseva on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know this is **** crazy when we beat the likes of Greece and Spain. Ireland a country on the edge of Europe beats Greece and Spain!!!

https://gript.ie/ireland-had-eus-highest-per-capita-asylum-applications-in-may/

• Advertisement

Ok so he means closed borders. Iron curtain style. He could have explained this new solution. Asylum seekers will work around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

Totally sums up Ireland at the moment. Badly needed apartments cannot be built because of some arbitrary planning laws but all bureaucracy conveniently set aside for this "emergency".

Don't tell me it's an emergency situation. It's not my emergency and the word emergency implies there's an end to a temporary situation (which I don't see)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

In the month of May, Ireland received the highest number of asylum applications per capita of any EU country - even more than Mediterranean states like Greece, Spain and Cyprus:

I think this says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The public health crisis is a significant factor, together with family reunification opportunities for immigrants. I posted the following in May, delays in various medical specialities have not improved since then...

"I attend four different public clinics in a major Dublin hospital every few weeks/months and I have observed a significant increase in middle-aged and older immigrants attending the clinics, many of them don't have any English and might bring a family member or two to assist with translation etc. The waiting time can be up to 5 or 6 hours (it used to be 3) just to see a doctor.

The health system could barely cope since I've been attending hospitals for various conditions, which was around 2003, just before Harney came in.

Someone just mentioned Donnelly is analytical, well according to the CSO Ireland's population grew by nearly 100,000 in 2023, of that 81,000 were non EU/UK citizens including 42k Ukrainians. Has Donnelly used his analytical skills to put resources in place to deal with this influx. Obviously, a good cohort of the immigrants will not require hospital services yet, but primary care, yes that concept successive Ministers for Health were heralding as the solution to all problems in the system, is on its knees. You can't get a doctor's appointment in Dublin. My own GP just refers patients to A&E now as there are no appointments available, even the out of hours service is under severe pressure.

We all heard about the massive problems Limerick University Hospital is experiencing, and not a word from Donnelly on how it is to be managed. I'd be terrified bringing a family member to the A&E there given recent reports.

How is Donnelly going to manage with a massive increase in population, Irish nurses leaving in their droves and an ageing population especially when the Government pick numbers out if the air like McEntee's 80% claim regarding asylum seeker numbers from the North. I'd say they haven't a clue how many people are coming in. How they are going to plan to build the infrastructure that is needed to keep the lights on in the health service nevermind resourcing Model 4 hospitals or 'Centres of Excellence'.

This is just one consequence of the increase in population and it's an absolute mess. More immigrants are landing in the country each day, and there seems to be no end in sight. Of course, the more immigrants that arrive, the more staff will be required to service our health system and other services. It's like a catch-22 situation.

It is very challenging to remain optimistic for the future of this country, I simply don't have any faith in the government's or opposition's ability to solve our problems."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

C'mere, what are you smoking. This is bizarre. This started because of your statement that:

Have to say he's the first person I've heard say on a broadcaster that if we didn't have such a high rate of immigration our hospitals wouldn't be under the same pressure.

See below for your convenience.

So now you are going writing essays saying he didn't say what you said he said. Maybe you'll say next that you didn't say what you said he said? Quoting a different part of a video is not a way to disprove that something wasn't said. It would be a bit like proving Trump wasn't shot by showing an earlier segment from his speech at that rally.

I did not say he was advocating a "Brexit" in that video (although, if you want to bring it up, it is actually his stated position that Ireland should leave the EU). I said that those type of arguments (i.e. what you claimed he said in the video) mirror Brexiteer arguments. Which turned out to be a spectacular backfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Poland has deployed 10,000 troops, thousands of security cameras and a large fence to try and close its border with Belarus.

Thousands get through anyway, mostly I believe in their way to Germany.

I'm not sure what the current situation is but they had been physically turning people back and returning them. Belarus wasn't processing them, only letting them turn around and try again, which of course they did until they eventually got through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Waiting lists for absolutely everything in the richest on paper country in the world, it's a disgrace. I checked myself out of hospital recently because I feared for my health

I actually cured myself from permanent spinal chord damage through hard work and private physio. Thehse were going to leave me paralysed until a place was available in rehab in 4 months time

Do you want to know what is happening to Irish citizens?

I know someone on a salary of €80,000 who was refused a one bed apartment In Dublin. The rent is €1900 per month. They were "declined" after a surveying of their salary. This person is not entitled to HAP and is not entitled to the Ukrainian €800 per month payment (where Ukrainians are also entitled to HAP).

They also pay €25000+ in deductions to the state.

When they attended to see the apartment they were surrounded by foreign nationals.

So the person paying to keep others in rental accommodation is refused as they are told by an Irish estate agent (on behalf of a foreign vulture fund) that they are "declined" and that "we wish you well in your property search".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Russia is militarising immigration into Europe. Finland, Poland etc recognise this. They will just reef them back over the border.

Found this on Euronews regarding Finland.

"However, they will not allegedly refuse entry to children, disabled people and any migrants deemed by border guards to be in a particularly vulnerable position". Seems fair.

You have to laugh, a workers taxes paying for someone else's rent, they can't get a property to rent but the recipient of their taxes can.

I will say that's not an AS or Ukrainian only issue and I've heard the HAP argument from both sides, some working full-time and losing out on a property to a HAP recipient, and a HAP recipient losing out on a property because they were on HAP.

I've also heard of a HAP recipient losing out to a Ukrainian in receipt of ARP I think it's called. So in their own country, the state provided assistance wasn't favoured above the state provided assistance for a Ukrainian. The mind boggles.

The problem is, there's not enough accommodation for the people in this country, whether they're employed or not.

But our government tends not to let minor details like that get in the way of their business.

If the situation is what you describe then the migrants will be on social media telling contacts at home not to bother coming.

Here's an article on the Polish border situation.

People finding weak spots in the border and coming through. From the article it's still one of the safest routes into Europe.

https://balkaninsight.com/2024/02/29/poland-fence-in-the-swamp/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭nachouser

Yeah, that never happened. Surveying of their salary? What is that?

So still no link.

And still no answer to my Helsinki question

Your credibility is in shreds.

• Advertisement

If you wish to rent you must supply the past three months of payslips, supply past three months of bank accounts, have a landlord reference, photographic identification, preferably have no pets and preferably no requirement for a car parking space.

I can 100% verify the anecdote I gave and I will not have heart bleeding lefties coming on here calling me a liar.

Www.Google.com

Type what you're looking for in the search bar. Took me 30s to get the quote regarding them letting vulnerable people in or children.

Roderics advertising campaign worked wonders. And you with an opposition party telling us we still have to take everybody just in wealthier areas too this entire island is screwed.

Let's be realistic though SF will just lose votes in wealthy areas because the rich don't want this either so unless they do a coalition with FF/FG it's hard to see it happening. Because FFG/Greens aren't going to piss off their rich voter base.

What an indictment.

RTE aren't asking the right questions about this.

Geographic location alone should mean Ireland receives fewest.

Things are getting worse now on the Polish border. More IPAs are coming than ever. A soldier was stabbed to death, allegedly by an IPA and Poland is sending more troops and building a bigger fence.

Unfortunately this is all just playing into Putin's hands. Europe faces greater immigration stresses, and with allegations of violence and Belarusian incursions an armed conflict could be triggered whenever Putin wishes.

Handling immigration properly is hugely important for a variety of reasons. The outrage agendas of the further right groupings can no longer be allowed to control the narrative in Europe or at home.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2024/06/12/the-renewed-poland-belarus-border-crisis-explained/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭nachouser

Fair enough. Personally, I would have used the phrase "turned up" instead of "attended."

If anything it's the anti-immigration advertising campaign 😂

Despite it being quite clear there never actually was an offer of free housing for the world...

You guys keep posting that it's true.

So either you lot never really believed this BS, or the outrage is all that actually matters.

I don't believe it because he's failing miserably. But the word got out there and spread far and wide. People coming here have high expectations and their hopes will be turning to anger.

Have you actually read that white paper?

Because if you have, and you can't or refuse to see the connection in the laughable if not worrying rise in the number of AS and AS wannabes here and on the way, you need to give your head a wobble. A good one.

If he wants to be deluded and self-praising in the apparent good he has done in government then he needs to take responsibility for the obvious bad which he has done.

His department has made Ireland seem really attractive to AS and to scammers, and as a result, we're now the go-to country. How people don't get that is beyond me. It's scary that these same people can actually vote.

The words unprepared and unsustainable don't do justice in describing the situation.

Post edited by giseva on

• Advertisement

Advertisement