Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭DaithiMa

Roderic O'Gorman has had four years of handling immigration. How is that working out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Actually the original story comes from an IT crime correspondent who's gone on record saying they have recordings and transcripts of these meetings.

Let me guess they're fake news too and we should believe the people telling us it's only concerned locals involved in these various violent protests?

I posted the link because it shows just how dangerous and detached from reality elements of, or maybe what's left of, the anti-immigration movement have become.

Planning to target a garda like that is disgusting and terrifying too, knowing what some of these people are capable of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

Compare and contrast what I said and your statement.

Steenson said in his interview that immigrants were the cause of hospital delays.

Even your toned down interpretation is incorrect.

A rate of immigration is not the immigrant. Who controls the rate of immigration?

Steenson never stated the cause but rather the affect of increasing population.

A possible cure to the issue could be increased services in line with population growth , etc

As I said, read my previous comments.

Duplicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jesus Christ. Are you still at this?

This is a quote, from the video. The presenter asked him why the doors were opened up to so many migrants. He responded that the population has gone up and that there was a shortage of hospitals

Eamonn Holmes: "Why were the doors opened up so generously to migrants?"
    Steenson: "Well we've gone from a population of three and a half million to a population of over almost 5 and a half million now, without building any infrastructure for, to, to deal with that. We have a shortage of hospitals, we have a shortage of schools but most particularly we have a shortage of housing"

• Advertisement

You're the one who won't let it go.

You don't seem to understand the point I made, I tried to explain it to you but you keep bringing garbage into the conversation that adds nothing.

I thought it was an interesting observation, that's it.

I've no idea why you are being so confrontational, as I said I'm not defending Steenson but pointed out my surprise that his rhetoric was not brought up previously. I also provided you with a paper to help you understand basic hospital dynamics.

Why don't you ask someone what time it is by shouting at them about brexit? That action may help you understand that speaking garbage may not help getting the answer you are looking for.

Who do you think 'controls the rate of immigration'?

We're not North Korea.

Governments can take some measures but at the end of the day no country that you or I would actually want to live in is going to be putting machine guns at the borders, despite the dark fantasies some on this thread have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

For Those profiteering off the fiasco quite well actually! I really hope he doesn't get elevated next time around.

Poland literally have their army defending their border and our EU border from illegal immigrants. After one of them stabbed and killed a polish soldier recently Poland have no made it easier for the soldiers to use their weapons.

Poland is a country I would definitely live in and it's far superior to Ireland in many ways. You can walk around their city centers and feel much safer then Dublin.

Saudi Arabia is another country using weapons to defend their borders. I wouldn't personally work there but many very educated Irish people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

Not a hope,come next election,the Green Party will be finished and whoever the next sucker in that ministry will have a lot of cleanup work to do

• Advertisement

Poland's issuing of a right to shoot is worrying but appears very much a self defence measure in the face of Belarusian agitation and manipulation, rather than allowing the murder of people peacefully crossing the border to live elsewhere.

Go down that route, as some here clearly favour, and it won't be long before Irish people are legitimately seeking asylum elsewhere. What happens when there's no, or far fewer 'illegal' migrants, to spread lies about and blame for all societies ills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This is not about machine guns on the border. There are countries which do not need them, anyone would have no issue to live in and yet they do not have a problem with managing immigration with an ease.

Problem is that there is too much of a carrot and zero stick. Complete overhaul of social welfare and entitlements is what is needed and that in itself will sort out this problem pretty much overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

New home completions down over 5%. On second quarter of year. 1800% increase in jordanian AS. This shite is so sustainable

The world n its counsin must need asylum in ireland. Must be the only safe place left on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The Irish might end up seeking asylum in Nigeria, India, Ukraine ... given the levels of negative discrimination and policies carried out on them by their own Government.

"In the first six months of 2024, there were 12,730 new-dwelling ­completions, down 8.6pc on the same period last year"

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/fewer-houses-may-be-built-this-year-as-completions-stall/a1051571631.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Nowhere near enough to cover our permanent resident 'asylum seekers' received in the same period. Sure it'll be grand having what will become hundreds of thousands in a few years at the current rate, permanently living in every building that the government can find to rent from somebody. We can pay for that while also not having houses for those paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭highpitcheric

was just listening to a recent david mcwilliams podcast there.

Interesting stat came up.

• More kids born in Nigeria alone, last year, than the entire continent of Europe.

Just Nigeria. One corner of Africa.

Also mentioned was climate change and how it will push people out of Africa.

Yesterday I was on the thread about the UK govt cutting child benefits for those with 2 kids. Some agreed, some disagreed.

But we sure as hell will be cutting either that or immigration levels in the coming decades. Simply wont be able to sustain both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭giseva

Don't worry, we're in safe hands, Jack Chambers has a plan to pay for it all.

Might seek asylum myself, in a mental asylum because I've lost it at this point!

By the time Sweden pulled the plug on the massive influx of refugees there were new issues that they're still contending with today. Their generosity has created massive social issues they may never solve. Sweden recently brought in a law giving the police powers to search people without any suspicion of criminal activity. One of the most liberal countries in the world became less liberal. I don't want this future for my kids and grandkids if I ever have any.

So we're building less houses than the number of Asylum/IPA's coming in. Not to mention a man who arrives could eventually get his wife(s) and 5 kids over aswell. Looks to me we're way past full.

• Advertisement

The UK have their priorities right, increase funding going to Ukraine, doing f#@k all about child property.

Though maybe that's the plan, Rwanda is off the table but you won't be as comfortable having your large families while living off the state.....but wait...what's that across the water.....a pot of gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SonicSuper

Really taken by the sheer amount of my daughter's friends and work colleagues emigrating the last few weeks tbh. I know it's always been a thing here but this is different as these people have well paid jobs but just can't afford to buy a house or raise a family here.

At the same time we are rolling out the red carpet for god knows who from god knows where.

This is so screwed up now somebody needs to take control and say enough is enough.

So firstly,

We control the number of non EU international visa's issued.

Secondly

Visas for English language schools could be curtailed.

Thirdly

Denmark gas an ipas policy that makes itself unattractive.

Finally, if immigration in the number one concern leave the EU

I'm answering your question, one might say stupid question, not saying the solutions are good solutions.

You presume to know where I'd be happy to live (I don't know why). I don't want to leave Ireland but don't see Denmark or Switzerland being that much worse than Austria which is in the EU and doesn't have Denmark's policy. I think we need to find a decent middle ground so we don't lose our cead mile failte attitude but additionally don't completely exceed capacity.

That's next from the government...."a few of the gang have been talking and we're gonna change the 'a hundred thousand welcomes' to 'a hundred million welcomes' so if you guys could get on board with that, that'd be great!"

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would also add to Hungary has received no asylum seekers for May.

Now I despise Orbán but when it comes to migration he has no problem paying the fines and I at least respect that part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Not doubting you but do you have a link for that? I'd like to read what their policy is.

And can they really say that? What about the illegal immigrants that don't present? I suppose they are not asylum seekers per se.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where are they going? Because housing is a huge issue in the usual destinations like Canada and Australia, you won't be getting your own place any time soon in those countries as a blow in that just moved there.

I'd rather pay crazy rent in Australia's climate than here though that's for sure.

The Irish will do nothing.

If Brussels rang up Harris or O'Gorman today and told them to take 100,000 refugees they'd insist on taking 200,000.

The only way out of this for Ireland is the rise of the right in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There's a certain arrogance (or stupidity) from the political elite in this country.

Despite all the evidence that asylum has been a profoundly failed experiment in the rest of Europe, they've consciously decided to ignore all that evidence and plough ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

We're burning the future of our young people so our politicians can grandstand and slap each other on the backs.

Advertisement