Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And yet the great threat of Misinformation, Disinformation, Obfuscation, and blatant Lies, lies with the "Far Right".

So we are told, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,609 ✭✭✭prunudo

As you mentioned on your other post, had there been trouble they'd be running it as headline news, trying to paint everyone as far right, nazi's, fascists or whatever the slur of the moment is.

It is currently relegated way down the list on the rte news app, hidden away in the regional articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Remember lads Sinn Fein are facilitating all this along with your government there is no opposition to whats happening in Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Oh give over, I’ve no interest in trolling or any of the rest of that nonsense. The three Ministers I mentioned, I mentioned them precisely because they have done incredible work, whereas the other Minister I mentioned - Donnelly, has not been impressive at all in spite of all the promise he showed as an independent TD. Who do you imagine would have done any better in Government? Gino Kenny, Aodhán Ó Riordan, Mattie McGrath, Michael Healy Rae, Justin Barrett?

Go ahead and throw out a few names there yourself and give us all a good laugh. The fact that I didn’t mention any other current Ministers or members of Government is because they haven’t shown themselves to be at all capable, and that includes Simon Harris who has yet to be actually tested, because currently he’s been able to sit rather pretty and hasn’t demonstrated any real signs of leadership. Micheál Martin appears to be the silent partner in the current coalition Government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

Only one standout minister and that's pascal donoghue. Michael mcgrath was capable before he exited. Coveney not the worst either. The three you name checked are absolute dogshit useless. Add in Catherine Martin and you have a full house. Mcentee the worst of the lot. If the people of meath have any back bone the door she will be shown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

When the government can step on a small community and there is not one locally elected politician who stands up for them then it is a very sad day for democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭csirl

What claim? I never mentioned Georgia.

But, now you mention it. Can you name ANY countries in the world who dont admit their own citizens if they arrive at passport control in their own country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think the only true legitimate free media is local radio.

• Advertisement

I thought I read on Tipp FM page that Mattie McGrath had been on site since last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Sorry, I thought you had made that false claim about landing a plane on a runaway and telling people to get out but you did support it.

People who are forcibly deported don't simply show up at passport control.

I'm not sure what point your trying to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yup he was

The man has been absolute brilliant for Dundrum and the people of Tipp.

The man will be getting my vote all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭newhouse87

He will go close to topping the poll in tipp next election. Jackie cahill and Alan kelly in particular are having nothing to do with immigration issue. Farmers are only people voting for cahill.

Regarding the last part regarding lower use if healthcare by people born outside Ireland relative to the native Irish population, I'm not certain that necessarily holds true if people seeking asylum are examined separately from people who immigrate from wealthier nations.

Availing of healthcare services is even lower again among asylum seekers than people who immigrate from wealthier nations, and far lower than the Irish population.

There are endemic diseases in many developing countries which are much less common in developed nations that are either expensive to treat (HIV would be the most prominent, which of course requires long term ongoing treatment) or can predispose to later serious illnesses such as cancers (such as tuberculosis or hep B/hep C).

HIV is far more prevalent in the native Irish population than it is among asylum seekers, ditto for the other diseases you mention, and there are diseases among the native population which are far more costly to treat and require long term ongoing treatment. That doesn’t include malnutrition or cardiovascular disease for example.

Added to this the added costs of interpreters for communicating with patients and the lesser likelihood that asylum seekers will be able to fund even minimum GP costs/Hospital charges that a taxpayer above a fairly low threshold would be on the hook for. To my mind asylum seekers are likely to put a greater strain on the health service than their matched Irish counterpart in age.

The cost of providing interpreters would be the same regardless of immigration figures. The lack of interpreters would surely have indicated to you that it is one of the reasons why immigrants who do not speak the language experience discrimination and a lower standard of healthcare which puts them off seeking healthcare in Ireland.

You’re not even comparing like with like when you’re comparing an asylum seekers ability to afford healthcare compared to a taxpayer above a fairly low threshold - neither would be automatically entitled to a medical card, but the low threshold taxpayer will have far less difficulty applying for a medical card than the asylum seeker who isn’t familiar with the language.

I’m not sure what the age thing is about, particularly as you mentioned HIV earlier as one of the most prominent diseases among immigrants from developing regions:

Heterosexuals accounted for 34% of first-time diagnoses in 2022 and the number of first-time diagnoses among heterosexuals is 33% lower than the peak in 2018. Over two thirds of diagnoses among heterosexual females (69%) are in those born in sub-Saharan Africa while the largest proportion of diagnoses among heterosexual males were born in Ireland (50%).

https://www.hpsc.ie/news/newsarchive/2023newsarchive/title-23563-en.html

That’s probably not a can of worms you want to open given the tiny percentage of the population either native or immigrant, living with HIV. Think along the lines of illegal human trafficking for the purposes of prostitution, and you’ll get why I’d rather not touch that one with a forty-foot barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Sorry, I meant elected member of the government.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,225 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Coolcormack1979 threadbanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Micheál Martin and his opinion on sovereignty.

First Irelands sovereignty. Well he say no.

Then on Ukraine he says yes well will back their sovereignty as a country.

And.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They probably don't have the resources. I can only imagine what it'll be like a year from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There is a difference.

The majority of DA claimants are disabled.

The majority of AS are making bogus claims - this has been known for years, stated by the Ministers, everybody knows it, we all know and accept it, the AS themselves state it when interviewed on television. They are economic migrants.

News article after news article over two decades have reported this over and over, again and again.

There have been various waves, 20 years ago it was west Africans. Later it was the sham marriages between Asian men and EU women.

Here is an account of a wave of bogus AS from Pakistan and Bangladesh in 2014 and 2015.

See ESRI (2018) Ireland's response to Recent Trends in IP applications

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/RS72.pdf

These are all bogus AS, as they already lived in the UK, that well-known location of war, terror and persecution (not)

They already have a visa to be in the UK. They travelled from the UK to Ireland to claim asylum. The NGOs here will say "they are fleeing persecution".

Persecution? In Leeds, Liverpool and London? Cop on.

I suppose that by following these cases over two decades, I know the truth, whereas many people in Ireland are not as clued in, and therefore believe the NGOs.

• Advertisement

There is a difference.

The majority of DA claimants are disabled.

The only difference there is that you’re not comparing like with like, whereas if you were, well, have I got news for you! 😁

Data from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection show 13,989 applications were turned down, while 13,298 claims processed last year were granted.Those applications included some leftover from 2020, and the department received 20,599 new applications for Disability Allowance in 2021.The figures also show that more than half of cases refused later appealed were later granted, in whole or in part or due to a revised decision by the department.There were 5,575 appeals on disability allowance decisions last year, almost half of which (2,611) were allowed. In another 101 cases the appeal was partly allowed and a revised decision was made in another 643 cases. Just 2,178 appeals were disallowed, with another 42 withdrawn.

https://archive.ph/mp4cq

The State denied up to 12,000 vulnerable people their disability allowance payments, RTÉ Investigates has learned.

And if those vulnerable citizens sued the State for the payments, the legal advice was that their cases were likely to succeed.

A secret memo prepared for the Cabinet in 2009 reveals that the State was told it could be facing up to €700 million in claims for maintenance payments from people with disabilities.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2023/0131/1353022-state-denied-disability-payment-to-vulnerable-people/

A quarter of the country’s disabled population lives in poverty. While 42% of applications for disability allowance made in 2018 were rejected. It’s unacceptable, writes Joan O’Donnell.

More than 140,000 people in Ireland now live on a disability allowance, equivalent to the entire population of Wicklow. These numbers are rising every year, even though it is extremely tough to qualify and it almost guarantees a life of poverty.

Take Michelle from Cork, who was turned down four times for disability allowance, despite being unable to walk. 

https://www.disability-federation.ie/news/latest/2019/02/14/42-of-applications-for-disability-allowance-reject/

That’s just a small sample btw of the number of applications which you would, if you were to compare like with like, would claim are bogus claims. Rejected applications either for asylum or disability, does not mean their claims are bogus. It means they do not immediately qualify for either asylum or disability for one reason or another, and they have the right to appeal the decision.

I suppose that by following these cases over two decades, I know the truth, whereas many people in Ireland are not as clued in, and therefore believe the NGOs.

Sure you do horse 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Never be a money grabbing scam. Oh god no. That and cheap labour for future endeavours by these same **** stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

Quiet you!

As long as we get to call someone a racist, we can pick up the easy, shallow 'Leftie' support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

an election in 25? they will find a way (to push it somewhere else)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

The Facts are not clear. It seems the Brogans were involved with that company at one stage but not sure if they still have any involvement in that company or it's operation.

They probably should release a statement with the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The money these hotel owners are been paid to house these people is obscene. The famous Dublin football Brogan family were popping the champagne corks last night above in Dublin many miles from Dundrum in county Tipperary which they have destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Millstreet already has asylum seekers in Drishane Castle & Ukrainians in the Green Glens. The same man owns both & is rumoured to have bought this hotel. The money being paid is mind boggling, all at the expense of the town.

i see from X that Thornton Hall has a garda operation happening this morning. Very heavy handed show for a peaceful protest camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

The heavy handed approach has been proven to work at this stage and the population have shown they are OK with it. The government don't have to waste time tolerating such protests anymore, they can just send in the guards now straight away to clear protests.

Advertisement