Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

any chance of a reply to the question of what defines state owned accommodation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It seems the major government departments Health, Education, housing and Justice are failing and god knows what else is in a shambles and the government don't seem to give a crap about it and instead come out with BS statements and it seems there are very few journalists who are looking to ask them the hard questions and hold them to account. Is it any wonder people are angry and even worse is the lack of opposition who should be laying into these incompetent ministers and lets be honest Donnelly, Foley, O'Brien and McEntee are all incompetent and that is being nice to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who will people vote for in the upcoming General Election I wonder?

Simply put, the existing Government will be in power once again. Not much choice really, since there is no actual Opposition and just a few non party who are expressing the concerns of the the existing citizen.

So buckle up, nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You're clearly as entrenched in your view as those you accuse others of so there's no discussion to be had really ..

as an aside there was an observation made that a couple of jacked goons hiding themselves in that vid bear a physical resemblance to the 2 balaclava jacked goons in the Thornton Hall video telling an Irish woman to get off Irish land with no visible authority to do so……..this is what you're making excuses for, down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What is the long-term plan for housing the asylum seekers.. is it new build housing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

No plan. Just flood the country and ensure the landlords get rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is the problem and this is why the government are behaving as they are because they know more than likely they will be back so they really need to perform just go through the motions and with no one questioning them or calling them out on their lies and incompetence sure why would they up their game? Plus they can all sail off into the sunset like alot of FF did back in the 2011 and give everyone the 2 fingers and yet people will still vote for them.

Sorry to say it but we deserve everything we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

We have no viable alternatives really.

SF would walk it if they had read the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well it's easy to say that someone is just "entrenched" isn't it? You aren't really tackling the logic or sense behind what I'm saying and — ironically for someone who wants to throw the "entrenched" label around — you clearly don't want to even consider the possibility that there are reasonable and understandable reasons for which people don't like being recorded by strangers and having their faces put up online.

Are you seriously telling me that if I was to sit around outside your house or wherever else, record you, put you up on Twitter and make negative assertions about you that are then supplemented by a slew of negative comments from other people about you that make all sorts of negative assumptions about you and your character .... you'd just be fine with that? No worries?

I'd have to presume the answer to that question is yes, because apparently taking any action to avoid this would appear, based on your logic, to invariably mean you're only doing so for nefarious reasons.

But what do I know? I'm just entrenched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think a good start point would be raising rates for 1st and 2nd trade apprentices above the minimum wage.

Our construction industry is structurally in a very poor place. Fragmentation seems to be an issue worldwide with construction, but we're especially bad here.

Funnily enough nobodies protesting these issues, it's all about IPAs who make up a small cohort of those needing houses here.

Why is that? Is it hopelessness, ignorance, laziness, racism? How much is related to mental health and social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

"Small cohort" - 30k plus a year and the more they are housed in new builds, the greater that number will grow to.

Your posts contain absolutely less than nothing in the way of solutions and continue to try to diminish a very real problem we are having to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great idea, pay new apprentices more, how long before all these apprentices qualify? Meanwhile there's upwards of 14,000 homeless in the state right now who are needing homes.

So, no one objects to migrants needing a home, but join the queue: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41455573.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The figure given earlier in the thread was 140k over the last 20 years.

That would be 7k per year.

And not all of those 7k will require a house, many will be sharing accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

What happened 20 years ago is irrelevant, its the upward trend. Over 13k last year and 20k projected this year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0404/1441672-asylum-latest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I already did? The article and leaflet you posted don’t say much, nor does the sentence you posted. Ireland is still the country of origin for the vast majority of cases of HIV in Ireland:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/hivandaids/hivdataandreports/2022reports/HIV_trends_to%20end%202022_final.pdf

The prevalence of HIV in other countries is an entirely separate matter from the numbers of immigrants to Ireland, let alone those immigrants who are diagnosed with HIV. When Irish people and immigrants to Ireland are taken as a whole for new cases, that’s where the 118% rise mentioned in the article comes from:

The HPSC data for HIV shows cases rose from 400 to 874 by the end of week 51 last year, a rise of 118 per cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

20 years ago there was no social media, Internet access and use was pretty limited. Barely a mobile. 2 billion less people on the earth. Probably half the air traffic there is today.

Or put simply, a different world to the one we live in today. Anyone using the history books to apply policy in the present is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

I'm curious as to what the long term plan in general is.

We are setting records in population growth, while services and housing are becoming an almost cut throat exercise for access.

This cannot continue for too long before it breaks.

Surely the government can see that this is going to lead to exceptional damage to social cohesion. They are not that thick.

The current tactic of calling people far right or racists, bigots, etc does not change the fact that people are getting increasingly frustrated and angry with what is happening. Such a type of argument only serves to stroke the ego of the one making it. It does nothing to address what is becoming an potentially very dangerous situation.

And I am not talking about about the recent disturbances in coolock or newtown mountkennedy, they are small fry compared to what is building at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

https://www.thejournal.ie/masi-pbp-asylum-seekers-right-to-work-6463782-Aug2024/

They’re barely even trying to mask that the majority of these people are actually just economic migrants coming here to work and using asylum as a back door in

Fascinating to see PBP backing this despite it likely being a disastrous outcome for Irish working class people on low paying jobs.

I suppose in their heads backing the “asylum seekers” gives them more virtue points so of course it is the logical course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

The old left is gone.

Whatever is claiming to be the left now appears to be some sort of feel good shallow ideology that looks like it was dreamt up by some marketing firm somewhere.

It has been successfully used as cover for western governments to embark on highly business orientated views on society, where profit and economy are all and the people come a distant second - viewed as little more than economic units, dispensible if not required as a better value unit becomes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure why you're surprised. The Marxist parties like PBP, Sinn Fein, Labour, SocDems, etc. have never really shied away from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

You seemed to have missed Slide 23 from that link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,616 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The windfall tax from the FDI sector has been both a blessing and a curse. I don't think most people realize how dependent we have become on this money and just how fcuked we'd be if/when it stops rolling in.

The problem is it has allowed to Government to absolve themselves from engaging in any kind of long-term strategic planning for any number of issues - including immigration. They are just fcuking money at the problems and kicking the can down the road.

Instead of these billions being used to invest in our infrastructure and our future they are being pissed away making a small cohort of people very rich while doing nothing to solve the underlying issues.

It's galling to see such waste being presided over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Saw this on a famous Irish satire site, and wondered, "how did they get a copy of a real letter?"

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If the FDI carousel stops, it's back to the 1980's for Ireland.

So mass immigration of our young workforce. Only this time will there be no US safety net as we no longer have a Morrison Visa program. The UK is and will continue to be a basket case for a long time, and most of Europe is in trouble, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Yes but we're full and they can blame the illegitimate IPA's for that. And blame the Irish authorities for entertaining them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t miss it, it’s just not saying much other than in recent years (post-Covid during which movement was restricted), the detection rates of HIV among immigrants is higher than the native population. One of the reasons for that is that HIV rates across all of Europe have risen significantly since 2022, but still we come back to your original point about higher rates of HIV among immigrant populations based upon region.

If the rates of HIV among a population are based upon region, the rate of infection is about 90% of those with HIV are natives of any given region -

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/HIV-AIDS_surveillance_in_Europe_2023_%28_2022_data_%29_0.pdf

If I wanted to engage in statistical figure fudging, I could, and I’d be able to write articles focusing on HIV rates among immigrant populations as though the native population didn’t exist, but that wouldn’t be at all helpful because it would leave people with the impression they already hold that the rise in incidents of HIV are due to increasing immigration. Articles like this, containing factual but misleading statements like this:

Only 10 per cent of those diagnosed with HIV in Ireland last year were Irish, the lowest proportion of any country apart from Iceland. Twenty per cent were from eastern and central Europe, 22 per cent from sub-Saharan Africa and 25 per cent from Latin America and the Caribbean.

https://archive.ph/9szMQ

Your original point about the rates of HIV and other diseases among the immigrant population is valid (and that’s acknowledging that you distinguish between immigrants from wealthy nations and developing nations), but when it comes to the provision of healthcare, education and so on, immigrants even from poverty stricken nations (which might indicate the reason for asylum seekers applying for refugee status in Ireland), are not putting any greater pressure on healthcare, education or other public services. They are far more unlikely than the native population to be able to avail of those public services in the first place.

I DO get the point you were making, but it’s just not a legitimate point. It’s no different to the point another poster made earlier about doubling the populations of cities outside of Dublin by 2040 and suggesting that UHL wouldn’t be able to cope if the population of Limerick City doubles to 200,000… ignoring the fact that UHL already serves a population of over 400,000, and most of that population are Irish, not immigrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Remember when the loonies tried to pretend the housing crisis and immigration have no correlation? Like I said before this country better pray there's not another recession in the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The post I linked to was showing the rate of HIV diagnosed people who are resident in Ireland. They then broke it down based on where these people originated from. The rate of HIV diagnosed people in Ireland who are of Irish origin is 2.6 per 100,000. The rate of HIV diagnosed people in Ireland who are of non-Irish origin is 66 per 100,000. That is a massive disparity and these people need treatment. If they don't personally seek treatment it is a personal tragedy for them as well as being a public health concern. And if they don't interact with the Health Service for treatment of their HIV, they will eventually end up interacting with the Health service from complications of untreated HIV whether it is opportunistic infections, severe immune dysregulation or cancer. And none of these complications are in any way cheap to treat.

I am not saying this to vilify people coming here whether they are seeking asylum or legal foreign nationals. But to plan and allow for a properly functioning health system these realities need to be acknowledged and it is simply wrong to state that asylum seekers cost the Health service less than native Irish people.

As regards to this point:

'immigrants even from poverty stricken nations (which might indicate the reason for asylum seekers applying for refugee status in Ireland).' Poverty in itself is not a valid region for seeking asylum, particularly with all the supports and services which are provided to asylum seekers relative to regular immigration. I'd love to live in a kumbaya world where we could help everyone but we don't, and we don't have the resources to cope with the influx of people entering Ireland and then seeking asylum. Government figures indicate that the vast majority of them are not genuine asylum seekers. Government efforts should be on identifying and deporting bogus asylum seekers and policies of deterrence to dissuade further bogus asylum seekers. The Dept. of Integration can continue to identify legal refugees abroad (often people who have spent years living in refugee camps) and bring them to Ireland in line with the International obligations we have signed up for, as they have been doing for years.

Advertisement