Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,209 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another reminder - this thread is to do with Ireland's refugee policy, not immigration by other means, and not for trying to dig out incidents just because they involve foreigners

Threadbans can be expecyted if this warning is not observed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

That's quite simply untrue.

More weak attempts to try portray IPAs as some sort of deviant group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

Document you posted doesn't refer to higher IPAs than we currently see. The figures in that are total immigration which includes people on working visas and other applicants from other European countries. Most likely Eastern Europeans around the early noughties making up the majority of the total. The total number of IPAs previously was 7000 approx. We are at three times that today. Your comparing apples and oranges. The influx of asylum seekers we are seeing this year is unprecedented. That's the simple truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It's logical that with large influxes from the most lawless regions of the world bring with them the social problems of those regions, especially when the strategy is to create ghettos for young men from these regions.

The open border brigade will tell you that IPs are the same as everyone else so long as it suits them to do so (e.g. asylum seeker is no more inclined towards criminality than an Irish person). But they'll also tell you that IPs are different when it suits them (sure isn't diversity is our strength!). So difference is only accepted when it is a positive. This epitomises the inconsistent and self-contradictory nonsense of the open-border Marxist ideologue (or whatever you want to call them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

Roderic said last xmas that 15000 per year is the new norm.

So in 4 years that's 60,000 people. That's going to require a lot more that the 14000 state owned accommodation places planned for being in place by 2028 unless we actually actively deport people and rapidly.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/roderic-ogorman-says-15000-asylum-seekers-per-year-will-be-new-normal-1569905.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Didnt they turn the EP site into a refugee site when it was over last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

And you have to remember that if he said 15,000 the actual number is likely 30,000.

You're right and God only knows what's going to happen in the future.

Look at the efforts so far with these tent sites. Crooksling and Newtownmountkennedy - filthy dangerous kips with gangs running about inside them (see previously referenced article for this). And there are only a few occupants in these sites compared to what they want to open in the likes of Ashbourne.

How are they going to open 30+ sites to house over a thousand men each?

Id say if you follow the money you get an idea of what the motive is.

Hotels, food, security, equipment, sundries for hygiene. Adds up especially if it goes on for 10 years or more given how our infrastructure development is miles behind. God only knows where we will be when I retire in 2052

The canal... €45,000 for fences. An assurance from Harris it won't happen again. But here we are.

The document I shared earlier gave total number of asylum arrivals for several years across the late nineties and noughties.

As other posters have verified, the peak at this time was 11.6k. I was mistaken to say it was higher then nationally, but per capita it was.

If you look online you'll find breakdowns in nationalities arriving at this time, feel free to find these sources to verify your claims it was mostly people from Eastern Europe. From my recollection there were a lot of African and middle eastern people. Quite a few from Iran and Afghanistan I think given the wars at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wow, that's inhumane.

Also the road from jobstown to Crooksling is about 4 miles and is not pedestrian friendly , you should see it now.

AS I mentioned before the morgue pub in templeogue got its name from the tram days when it dropped off bodies hit by the tram around Crooksling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't forget, there is a huge number of government funded NGO's out there with a small army of advisors. You can be sure that each IP applicant is well aware and supported in getting every single entitlement going.

They are. There is plenty of documented evidence out there around failed applications and the appeals process being one cash cow for them.

Not to mention the court cases recently regarding the state not meeting it's obligations with regard to refuge/accommodation which was funded by an NGO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

The worst thing about this is there was a group of Ukrainians living there that got shipped out to Clifden. The locals didn't have an issue with the Ukrainians but they've been given no indication of who's being moved in and there's over 100 people going in to a 23 room hotel right on the town centre.

Why not leave the people who were there and building some sort of existence alone rather than rocking the boat for the sake of it in two communities. Government policy is an absolute shìtshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dh1985

A - has the population of the country trebled since the early 2000's that the asylum seekers per capita was greater back then. Answer is no. 4m was the population in 2002.

B - I was referring to the total inward migration listed as 47k approx that was mainly made up as Eastern Europeans. Sure Eastern Europeans weren't asylum seekers. Mainly poles.

You stated that IPAs was higher back years ago linking that article. The numbers listed in the article that are higher than the present 20-30k was for total nwar migration inot exclusive to IPAs.

Now you claim per capita it was higher, again incorrect. Fudging of numbers and lies.

Unprecented IPAs into Ireland this year. Quantitavely or per capita.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0428/1446086-back-in-poland-20-years-after-eu-accession/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't forget, at no stage are we allowed to even countenance deporting such people. The situation here is quite the opposite, this government will be at pains to defend them all equally, regardless of behaviour. In a sane society, a migrant who assaults staff or is taking drugs should face an automatic deportation order. It shouldn't even be in question. You have one shot at an IP application, if you fcuk it up, tough luck, you're on the next plane home.

I have long believed that this is the real reason behind what seems to be a completely disjointed policy. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a mix of backhanders, political donations and jobs for the relations when it comes to these contracts being dished out.

I agree this is a big risk especially coming into winter. I've seen the residents walking the road towards Tallaght. No hi-vis clothing. I would be surprised if there is no accident at some point.

There's not much of a bus service out that way. Barely enough for the locals never mind hundreds of men on the site who make their way to the city centre daily.

I've heard of issues between bus drivers and residents too. It's a total mess. We just don't have capacity for scores of these sites around the country.

Of all the policies that have to be employed, this is the most important. Anyone who gets their nose dirty in their first 5yrs here should get deported immediately. I've made it almost 50yrs without having a single run in with the law. It's not unreasonable to expect anyone entering the country, wanting to become a citizen that they not come to the attention of the Guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭whatever.

You absolutely did, a direct quote from your reference

"They face the risk of rape and other violence at the hands of family members, other refugees"

• Advertisement

In 2002 we had 11.6k people arriving to claim asylum.

The highest number since then was 13.6k in 2021.

I was wrong to say this was higher nationally and have acknowledged same several times, but it was higher per capita.

We have never recorded 20k or 30k arrivals in a year. It is likely we will have somewhere around 20k this year but it hasn't happened yet.

There were Eastern European asylum seekers in the early noughties, as it was prior to EU enlargement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The roads are getting so busy compared to twenty years ago. Driving through anything larger than a small town is getting rage inducing. Really if the population hits pre famine levels it's going to be insane.

🙈🙉🙊

Could you share the rest of that quote please? Did it not mention other groups of offenders too?

Again this is nothing more than another quite disgusting attempt to generalise. The report I shared was based on conditions in one refugee camp at a particular period. If this report said they all spoke Klingon and loved acid-jazz it would be equally incorrect to try apply these findings to refugees worldwide.

What did you make of the Australian statistics I shared earlier which had Irish people as the group most likely to commit violent crimes?

That's quite clearly directed at what I wrote but you and I both know that shows no real resemblance to what I actually said.

I have to ask why?

What do you get out of that?

There seems to be an attempt to portray Irish people in some kind of victim role? Why?

When our own government are destroying the country with a ridiculous AS plan then yes we are the actual victims.

We are paying for it now

We are going to pick up the tab in the future

We will then be expected to pick up the tab when it all goes wrong

Post edited by amykl_1987 on

Yeah very much so. Government seem very keen to spend lavishly on this and the lack of deportations or the political will to do anything about the refused applications is nuts. It will come back to bite us.

We have major problems now infrastructure wise and are falling ever further behind so no way they can financially justify the seemingly endless accommodating of AS in any available hotel or tent city.

And when economy tanks again, the fall out will be huge.

OGorman seems to think 15000 a year is normal and we should just accept it. I hope he is gone after the GE But he has done a lot of damage and whoever comes next will just carry it on as it will likely be FF FG carve up

And the governments inability to deal with this issue properly is going to create even bigger issues down the line

We need mass deportations. And fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Parts of Ireland are turning into a third world kip. Import the third world… you know the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a cheery morning post 😂

Impossible to argue with those facts. Dramatic much?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement