Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,615 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sickening how these corrupt individuals can just swan over to Ireland and just carry on like nothing happened

There is so much dodgy stuff going on around this, it feels like there's an industry built around this now…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭amykl_1987

That's 21000 a year if the numbers are accurate.

In 10 years from now, we will have added 4% to the population with no long term solution for anyone in the state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You are undercounting .

A lot of these people will have families. Family reunification will give them full entitlement to any benefits going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

They're only here one reason and we all know it, the freebies, pure and simple hence the high number here compared to other EU countries.

• Advertisement

Every disaster, war, miscellaneous opportunity that happens and our govt will be offering asylum as it fits the agenda

Very proud of Dundrum residents, they were very passionate and really came across brilliantly.

Also credit to Gript Media, only for them this news story would die away like how the msm wish it would.

Here's Mattie speaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't really follow whatever point it is you're trying to make.

You again seem to be taking a leap from some people within a population committing crimes, to that population itself being more likely to commit crimes, without filling the glaring gap you've left in moving from one point to the other.

Are you ready to post the rest of that quote yet or are you going to keep reposting the bit that mentions only refugees and their families?

'We all know it'???

Well that's the issue put to bed. Forget about the research, or even getting to know people who seek asylum, the good people on an anonymous forum riddled with derogatory terms about IPAs have spoken.

What's your basis for this assumption?

How many people are still living here who sought asylum in the last 20 years?

• Advertisement

How many have we deported? How many have left voluntarily?

Govt Dept cannot give any figures and recently held a fairly substantial amnesty.

Your incredibly naive if you think people are leaving in any great number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The stats speak for itself, quit the gaslighting

If an IPAs individual has their baby in Ireland, does that grant the baby Irish citizenship?

Looking at the figures I only see a small amount of refugees living here, and I believe only a small amount applied for amnesty. I think it's fair to assume a significant number have left.

Besides there was an anti-immigration poster on a while back giving out about people getting Irish citizenship and leaving. Do you think this person was just making up false stories about IPAs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭whatever.

As the Americans would say, for the slow people in the room, I was highlighting your hypocrisy and it's your citation that attributes high levels of rape and violence to refugees.

My citation does not attribute anything to refugees. It is a report about the terrible circumstances faced by one particular group of refugees, where some of the perpetrators are also refugees and some belong to other groups.

Do you (and others here) genuinely not see that distinction?

Let's work with a very simple example. Based on all the recent all-ireland wins, do you think Limerick people are better at hurling than other Irish people?

The report said he'd been here 3 years.

Are Romanian people still seeking asylum here? I thought that ended way back with EU enlargement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Remember Simon Harris' get tough stance of illegal immigration before the Euros/Local elections? Didn't last long did it.

They are all a bunch of liars.

The Dept of Integration and/or Justice has no who is and isn't in the country. But the money keeps flowing in the right direction while the Tax payer funds every angle of it to their own future detriment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,901 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Simon Harris was never going to do anything I'm afraid. It's his own Justice Minister who is directly responsible for much of the current situation - both directly at the point of entry, and later through the rewarding of anyone who hangs around long enough with Irish citizenship. Plus Harris himself is the weakest of the recent lot of Taoiseagh we've had in decades - no mean achievement considering even his most recent 2 predecessors!

As someone said above, the media are now normalising the attacks and intimidation - enabled also in part by our weak justice system (McEntee again!) that supports a revolving door for these individuals even when they ARE prosecuted. In parallel of course the bleating about the 'Far Right' continues apace and the minimising of any details where it's not a local Irish involved.

Our country is slowly coming apart at the seams. The social contract has been shredded and it's no longer just the average taxpayer who's been taken for a mug, but Irish natives as well! Objecting to, or even just questioning, resettlement programmes in the community has become a dirty practise - bluntly lumped in with accusations of antisocial behaviour and racism or extremism by those who are either directly facilitating all this, or who are tethered to them by the incestuous relationship that exists between the political parties and those supposed to report and hold them accountable.

Add to that a growing group of opportunists making a fortune from the seemingly limitless amount of taxpayers money being thrown at this effort, and it's not at all surprising that Harris isn't going to change much - never forget that this is a guy with NO qualifications, NO experience of ANYTHING outside of the FG party, and NO influence on anyone.

It's hugely telling that far more senior people stood back or have announced their intentions to quit in the near future. Harris is merely a caretaker, a placeholder until the election, Taoiseach by "default", and it shows! I wasn't impressed by him when he first appeared in ill-fitting suits on TV years ago and he's achieved nothing to change my mind since.

The biggest issue though is the shifts in our formerly generally easy going, tolerant (or at least apathetic) and open society. The problems we're now seeing are only going to increase as they have in other countries where this experiment has been tried and failed. Those already in the system and legitimised (or on their way to such), and those already here illegally aren't going anywhere. Entire communities and towns are seeing their demographics shift rapidly and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, it's not encouraging when separate parallel communities are taking hold. Communities that may not feel any particular loyalty or obligations or even respect for/to those who accepted and welcomed them not that long ago.

Part of the blame for this is of course on the support structures of the State - but as anyone who's had the misfortune of dealing with the HSE or Welfare departments will know, this is hardly surprising or likely to change.

The ones who are and will continue to lose out are the same people expected to live with the problems and consequences of this crusade. Those expected to pay for it in taxation while simultaneously see their own needs (and those of their children) pushed down the list in favour of randomers with no ties, no loyalty or potentially even no identity to this country.

It's a country that will be unrecognisable in the years to come at the rate of change and pressure being placed upon it now. If or indeed when the next financial crunch hits we'll see the depth of it exposed rapidly - as happened before, many will simply leave and leave the rest of us holding the bag.

As that old curse goes - "May you live in interesting times!"…. Well, I fear things are going to get a LOT more 'interesting' yet, and sooner rather later! This isn't decades away, it's happening now!

All I can suggest is to use your vote wisely in the upcoming elections. Vote the issues not the individuals or the parties. Support your communities and engage in the process - be informed, make your views known and heard (peacefully and democratically obviously!), and demand accountability from your councillors and TDs on the issues that matter - and I don't mean pothole filling.

It's the only way to ensure that that same voice will still be heard in the years and decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That's about the size of it, funny you don't see any complaints online or anywhere from pbp, soc dems or the greens regarding the likes of this danger to women being granted bail, but mark my words they'll be first out of the traps with their po-faces, banners and candlelight vigils.... when the time comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭whatever.

"My citation does not attribute anything to refugees . . . where some of the perpetrators are also refugees"

You are now contradicting yourself in the same sentence and paragraph.

You have also proven unequivocally the need for a zero refugee policy because of the prevalence of rape and violence amongst refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

The kids already do share their classrooms with them in at least two of those schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Paddys benefits outstrip the whole EU hence the appeal.This will continue as long as the carrot Paddy offers is sufficient.

Sure where would you get what Paddy offers ?

The problem with the GE is realistically who do we vote for to bring about radical change. My options are SD, FF, FG, Green, SF otherwise it will be some random Indo who will get 400 votes.

We have no major party willing to read the room and go about reversing this madness. The govt are hell bent on increasing the population by 1m in the medium term by any means viable but with no obvious plan for housing, healthcare, prisons or other infrastructure on the scale needed. Yet if they did something abt the vast amount of vacant sites it would go some way to changing things housing wise.

I was reading on Sunday, a few schools around the country are way behind on building works, so they were promised prefabs for the short term, which haven't materialised because the company's making them were contracted to build modular homes for the asylum seekers sites.

Sweden have copped on, but it will take multiple generations to reverse

And roderic promoting own door accommodation within 4 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There was a thread here a few years ago about prefabs and how much they cost to buy/rent. It's another cash cow for certain companies linked to politicians. Many of our schools have been clogged with prefabs for decades and yet we waste money at a staggering rate elsewhere.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭twinytwo

No, unless one of the parents is an Irish citizen or the child is not entitled to citizenship of any other country.

• Advertisement

Tell us again about all the Irish undocumented leaving abroad who have… "lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable"

I think that's what frightens a lot of people with these ideologies of hatred, that sooner or other it'll be turned towards them. Look what happened in the UK, when 'stop the boats' became too farcical even for the Tories, next in line was those on welfare and the homeless.

Who's next in line for those looking for scapegoats in Ireland? My guess is the LQBTQ+ communities and the disabled.

Advertisement